4.0 out of 5 stars Not like my Plasma, but a good display.. No dead pixels, February 22, 2012
This review is from: Viewsonic VX2453MH-LED 24-Inch Ultra-thin Widescreen LED Monitor - Black (Personal Computers)
The picture quality doesn't compare to my 42" Plasma, but it's still a nice display. I used my plasma TV as my main display for about a year (still do, just not as my main display anymore). Don't get me wrong though, it's still a nice picture. If you are looking for nice sound and speakers from a monitor, look elsewhere. I have a nice sound card and headphones, so the terrible sound does not bother me.

The only thing I don't like about it is the VGA port is the only one that is solid. The HDMI ports and power connector are fairly flimsy. The picture cuts in and out if you bump the HDMI cable. I ended up using some clear tape to support the HDMI cables.

I had difficulty getting my desktop to display properly at first. I had to switch the input from AV to PC in the monitor's menu, and set my graphics card to overscan at 0% in CCC. The picture fit perfectly and is very crisp after that.

I also use CCC to control Contrast, Brightness, Color, Gamma, etc. instead of the monitor. Blacks are blacker, and colors are darker and more vibrant that way. I set all these values to default in the monitor's menu (50 Brightness, 50 Contrast, color, etc.)

The 2ms response time and 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000:1 mega contrast ratio are overrated. There is terrible "ghosting" when the response time is set to 2ms in the menu (the "advanced" 5ms setting is perfect), and I literally cannot tell the difference between the regular 1,000:1 contrast ratio and the 1 billion:1 mega dynamic ratio.

If it was not for the crappy, loose, and weak ports in the back, I would have considered five stars. The less than 200 dollar price make this a good deal in my eyes.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]