Industrial Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Ty Dolla Sign egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game, alright limited edition, November 8, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Halo 4 Limited Edition -Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I'm just going to talk about the content of the limited edition and whether or not its worth the extra price.

First of all, if we factor in the map packs, thats already a $25 value. So it really comes down to a $15 price difference between the standard edition (with the map pass) and the limited one. This is assuming you plan on getting the new maps in the first place. So does the remaining content make up for the price difference? Going over the content:

The packaging is nice. The box has a unique look and opens by lifting the flap which is held in place by a magnet. That and with the UNSC logo stamped on makes it look very official looking. I also like the look and quality of the steelbook case.

The UNSC Infinity briefing packet items are pretty neat, especially if you're into the lore. But they're really things you just look through once and then set aside for the remainder of time. There is not much else to them. However, I appreciate the quality of some of these items, such as the little notebook and the armor schematic poster (not sure what material was used to make said poster, but I like it).

The digital content will probably be the deal breaker here. The map packs as I mentioned are a big part of this edition. The "Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn" special edition download is a nice bonus, but it would have been even better if it was included as a DVD instead. The access to the six specializations is nothing special considering people can get the same thing if they play Halo 4 before Nov. 20. And honestly, who isn't?

As for the rest of the digital content. The in-game skins and emblem is also nothing special. The skin is basically the default recruit armor that you start with, but with a slightly different design. You get a 14-day LIVE gold trial which you'll probably never use. And the avatar items speak for themselves.

All in all, I'd say the limited edition has things that will make it worth it to many people, especially for those who have bought the limited (or legendary) editions to all the past Halo games. A part of me wishes it was cheaper or had a few more things like a Master Chief figurine for example. But as it stands I thought the overall package was alright for the cost but some of the bonus items are really lackluster.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 12, 2012 10:44:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 10:47:25 AM PST
F. Terling says:
I agree for a limited edition I was hoping to get more out of it. Map packs are nice and everything but usually when I get a collector's edition of any game I get something that I can bring about to others that I exclusively have. The "prime" recruit armor is really dumb and shows no effort on 343's end. It is literally the same armor as the recruit except slight color variations which no one will be able to notice in an actual game or at the loading screen and be like "OH MAN THAT GUY HAS-insert armor here- HE MUST HAVE THE COLLECTOR'S EDITION" I mean atleast if you are gonna give us a slightly different armor skin make it one of the cooler/harder ones to get. I remember the flaming helmet in i think halo3/reach I can't remember but that was a kind of neat addition. The actual physical stuff was okay, I mean lore is cool and all but its again not something you can really show off much.

For example AC3 came with a good sized flag american/assassin flag that you can hang up and a cool figurine. it was $20 more than this one but I felt it was definitely my money's worth. Honestly at this point I kind of regretting geting the limited edition of this game because I feel there is pretty much no real exclusive thing I got out of it that was really worth it that I couldn't already pretty much get. The game it self is amazing but I would recommend anyone buying this to just get the regular version and maybe spend the extra $50/60 dollars you would on the limited edition on that cool looking controller.(which I believe uses the newer 360 controller design, more grip/better d-pad)

Also I think forward unto dawn is on youtube anyways.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 9:05:05 AM PST
VYL says:
Yeah I agree, it's nice that the map pack came with it, but it's not exclusive, and technically we've already paid for it. The letters and handbook are cool, but very easily made up. Oh, and that "secret letter", so worthless, I don't understand why it was even in a sealed pouch except just to have it feel more real and "secret". A joke some of my friends made was that by getting all the limited editions of Halo I could be able to piece together Master Chief's armor (ever since the helmet came with Halo 3). Just saying, that would have been welcomed. So yes, the exclusive content in a limited edition is supposed to make people who didn't get it jealous. I know that sounds silly, but that would mean that the limited content was worth it. My friends who didn't get limited Halo 3 and Reach didn't get the Helmet and the Noble Team pieces, and each time I showed them they were like "I wish I had gotten the limited edition". Limited/Legendary edition needs to live up to that name.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 1:02:14 PM PST
One thing you are leaving out is the fact this has a steelbook case. You mentioned it but you threw it aside as if it was a given. Steelbook cases can go for around $20 as they are much more collectible than a normal case. Adding the price of it would have the Limited Edition the better value.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:22:22 PM PST
Dog says:
Only problem with steelbook cases is that they have a tendenacy to be hard to take disks out and put back in. I have seen aa few disks that litterally chip around the center hole. and not mention sometimes even ccrack the disks trying to remove them.. I would perfer NOT to have the steelbook cases so i always replace the steelbook cases with regular xbox cases! Alot less damaging on thedisks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 9:16:20 AM PST
Nomek says:
Please, Like Halo 4 is ever leaving my xbox.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 8:10:59 AM PST
F. Terling says:
I do think that is a nice touch, my friend has the metroid prime trilogy and I'm pretty jealous of the game/case but the case alone doesn't warrant $100 and let say there was a limited edition game that was $20 more and its only feature was a tin case I wouldn't even bother which is what this limited edition feels like sometimes.I probably would have been happy with all the stuff that came with it if the exclusive armor wasn't such a poor "bonus" I mean it is LITERALLY a reskin of the armor you start with, which isn't that cool looking its beyond frustrating and infact I think microsoft or 343 or whoever makes halo these days should make a patch that makes the armor alot better looking.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›