5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Upgrade From 2013 And Improved Mobile Security Functions, November 10, 2013
This review is from: Norton 360 Multi-Device 2014 - 1 User / 5 Devices [Old Version] (CD-ROM)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My subscription to Norton Internet Security 2013 was close to expiring, and I found that the 2014 edition of Norton 360 for 5 devices was a better value for renewal. In addition to Internet Security, you also get PC Performance and Backup and Mobile Device protection. If you buy all three of these separately, it will cost much more than this bundle. Here's how the 2014 software performed.

Setup: I was very pleased with how easy it was to upgrade the product on my laptop. I did not uninstall my 2013 product, but I just popped the included disk in and let it do its thing. It was not a fast process, but it worked without issue. All of my Internet Security settings stayed intact, and I really appreciated the simplicity.

Internet Security: I didn't notice any material changes from last year's version, and I would point you to my review of it for a detailed look at the features. In short, it is a solid product that does what you want it to.

PC Performance: All of the bundled products appear in a single dashboard; therefore, my experience in upgrading resulted in an expanded set of tools available. I found the "Run Startup Manager" task to be valuable. It showed me that I had 44 applications that opened when my laptop boots up. This is easy to lose control of as you install more and more software on your machine, and it slows down your boot up process the more things you have in there. I was able to remove a number of things that didn't need to run at startup, and my laptop boots in about half the time now. To be clear, I count the total startup time to be from when you hit the power button until all startup programs have initialized. That last part is key because most Windows machines are marginally to non-responsive until the startup sequence completes. I also liked the "Run Registry Cleanup" task. If you have installed and subsequently uninstalled many programs on your machine, you likely have orphan registry entries. This task cleans all of these up, and it improves the overall efficiency of registry access. The other task that is likely to be useful is the "Run Diagnostic Report" task. If your machine is not running, as you would like it to, this is a good place to start. Given everything else that I have already done, my report came back with everything green.

Mobile Device Protection: I also reviewed the 2013 version of Norton Mobile Security, and I will focus on the changes here. I would suggest that you start with your desktop/laptop first as I described. Since I had already done this, all I had to do was go to the appropriate site using the browser of my Sony Xperia Z. From there it is a simple matter of installed the app and logging in. The Anti-Malware feature performs as it did in the prior version. It runs quickly, but it doesn't find anything. I keep my tablet fairly clean, in terms of what I install, and I would have been surprised if it found anything. The Anti-Theft features seem improved over the prior version. The "Lock" feature worked without issue. I sent the command along with a message from the web site using my laptop, and my tablet locked almost instantly. This feature was buggy in the previous version, and I am glad to see that Norton has addressed the problems I identified. The "Scream" feature also performed as expected. The "Take a Picture" feature uses the front facing camera, and it works as long as the device is on. This would let you see who is using your device if it has been stolen. The "Locate" feature was not 100% accurate. It showed my device at an address that does not exist on my street. It may be good enough to aid in retrieval, but it still needs some work. Overall, I was pleased with the improvements in the 2014 version of Norton Mobile Security.

Overall: Norton 360 is a great value that combines Internet Security, PC Performance, and Mobile Security at a great price. There are some minor improvements that Norton could make, but I am a believer in their products. It is a huge bonus for existing users that the upgrade process is seamless - even if you aren't migrating to the exact same product. I highly recommend this to new and existing users alike. Norton has evolved their product line into one that is both easy to use but powerful too.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]