5.0 out of 5 stars ☆ UPDATED: Simply put, it works quite well ☆, September 14, 2012
This review is from: Amazon Kindle 9W PowerFast Adapter for Accelerated Charging (Accessory)
Review updated 12/9/2012:

Note to all buying this Amazon Kindle PowerFast for Accelerated Charging for use with the new Kindle Fire HD and other models, I've had this in use continuously since September 2012 when it was first announced. The price has gone up and down since I first purchased it here for the then-prevailing price of $19.99, yet I don't regret purchasing it here. But do not buy it like I did. Read the 'Add Kindle Accessories' section on the right side of the various new Kindle models on the appropriate product page and you'll see that you can get this Kindle PowerFast charger for $9.99 and not the $19.99 that you see on the product page here as of the time of this update.

Please don't shoot the messenger, as I'm a purchaser just like you: this item is NOT included with the new Kindle Fire models. In my case, this unit was needed it in advance for my current original Kindle Fire to accelerate the charging time, but you need to see the better ways of buying it.

If you note the Special Offer on the product page, it states something to the effect that you can get the Kindle PowerFast for Accelerated Charging for about half the price listed here when you purchase it with the new any of these new devices that you can see at these links:

◆ New Kindle Fire 7", LCD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB
◆ New Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16GB or 32GB
◆ New Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16GB or 32GB
◆ New Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE Wireless, Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 32GB or 64GB

If you look at the Add Kindle Accessories box on the right of any of the links to the new Kindle models listed above, you'll see the offer for getting one of these for about half the price listed here. You won't need a supplementary USB 2.0 cable, as each of the above models comes with one packaged in the box.

Likes:

+ Solid, well-made charger; appears to be a quality item for long term use
+ Can be used with all Kindle Fire and Kindle models; almost universal
+ 9W, 1.8Amp adapter; charges faster than prior Kindle power adapters
+ AC Power prongs fold away; convenient for travel and storage

Dislikes:

- Should be included with the new Kindle Fire models

This Kindle PowerFast charger is a step or two above some most of the others offered here on Amazon, including some others that I've bought. This one was purchased as a faster charger for my original Kindle Fire, as it's able to charge this model in three hours, beating the original Kindle Fire AC Adapter that came with that device by an hour, maybe more. It seems to be close in charge time to some of my other higher-output (over 2.0 Amp) chargers, but I haven't done a side by side scientific comparison between these and the Kindle PowerFast charger.

I've posted some photos of the PowerFast charger in comparison with a few others that I have have bought here, and hope that it helps. The actual size is a bit difficult to figure from the product images here, so I included a coin in some of them so that you can see the size.

So far, have tried this PowerFast charger with the following devices:

◆ Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (new December 2012)
◆ Kindle Fire, 1st generation
◆ Kindle Touch
◆ Kindle 2
◆ Plantronics Voyager PRO+ Bluetooth Headset
◆ BlackBerry Curve 9330 smartphone

The PowerFast charger is rated at a DC output of 5V, 1.8A, so it will work with all of the Kindles and many other devices; check your manual. The AC input is rated at 100-240V, 50/60Hz. Please note that if you're traveling outside of the US, you will need a plug adapter, such as this USA to Europe Heavy Duty Adaptor Plug, but shop around here, because some of them are country specific.

Summary:

This Amazon Kindle PowerFast for Accelerated Charging unit was purchased at full price here for charging my first-generation Kindle Fire, as noted above. I now have the new Kindle Fire HD 8.9" and am currently configuring it, and running it a number of charge/discharge cycles. I've also been running the Battery HD Pro app after doing its full calibration routine, and that seems to help, as I'm easily beating the under 5-hour full charge as listed in the product specs for the PowerFast. There are other chargers that are available here, and I have some of them, but for personal use with my Kindle Fire HD 8.9", this one works well, and is highly recommended after months of use.

Original post on 9/14/2012; updated 12/9/2012.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 17, 2012 10:44:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2012 10:45:25 PM PDT
Lee Rowley says:
Excellent review! Thanks for the links and explaining exactly what you get when ordering this product. The links really make it easy to make sure I am buying the correct thing. I am really glad to know that this will work on many devices beside just the new Kindle Fire HD.

Thorough and very helpful review. Now I have the information to make the right choice. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 11:12:11 PM PDT
Thank you, Lee. So far, I've found that the Amazon Kindle PowerFast outperforms the other chargers that I've mentioned in the review, though it was originally intended for use with my original 2011 Kindle Fire. The new PowerFast is far superior to the original corded Kindle Fire AC Adapter/Charger, not only because it's faster, but due to the fact that the new one has a foldaway plug that doesn't get snagged when taking it out of a briefcase and such. Size-wise, the new one is more compact, as you can see in the comparison photos that I've posted... all in all, an excellent charging device.

And thank you again for your kind comment!

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 8:54:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2012 8:56:45 PM PDT
i just think its crazy that a tablet in the $400 to $600 range does not come with a charger.... The Nexus 7 does and thats $200-$250

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 10:02:49 PM PDT
David, if you read my review you'll see that I clearly stated:

"Dislikes: Should be included with the new Kindle Fire models."

I have no argument with you, and I do know that the ASUS Google Nexus 7 Tablet comes with a dual-voltage USB wall charger. I know this because it's one that I am still considering, since I have years of experience with ASUS products. I'm typing my response to you on my ASUS Windows 7 notebook right now.

But what does this have to do with the fact that I bought this Kindle PowerFast USB charger for a separate purpose altogether, namely as a higher output unit than the one that came with my first generation Kindle Fire. My review was based on a physical product, one that works, and not on Amazon's marketing policies.

I might politely suggest that you make your opinion on Amazon's marketing decisions known on the one of the following forums:

You could also contact Amazon directly if you like at the following link:

I hope this helps, and thank you for taking the time to comment on my review.

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 10:32:38 PM PDT
Lee Rowley says:
Yes, it may have been a mistake in their marketing plan to not have this come with the new Kindle Fire HD models but really, that has nothing to do with whether the product works and does what it is supposed to do Mr. Doughty. I get your frustration but this isn't the place to vent. Perhaps direct communication with Amazon would help?

This review is about the actual product and that is what I look for when trying to decide if I should purchase a product. It is chock full of links and information so that we the consumers can make an informed choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 10:48:43 PM PDT
Thank you, Lee. My review was an honest one about a product that I bought and found to work well, and these do take time, especially when one takes the time to post careful links and product comparison photos that may help other users to make a rational choice. At one time, that's what reviews here were about.

I was not trying to open up a forum discussion here on my review comments. It's a product review and not a place to vent about Amazon's marketing decisions. Funny thing is that I agreed in principal with Mr. Doughty, and had even listed his issue in my dislikes... but this is a review, and not the place for me to rant about Amazon's marketing decisions. They already know how I feel about this through the message that I sent, using the above link.

And many thanks again for your rational and thoughtful comment!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 7:09:24 AM PDT
I was just agreeing with you that it should come with the unit.... I have been using the apple ipad charger to charge all my usb powered devices for travel and at home. They work great if your looking for a charger thats white.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 7:39:55 AM PDT
Mr. Doughty, the color of the charger has nothing to do with its performance. In my review I noted that I had posted some photos of the PowerFast charger in comparison with a few others that I have have bought here. One of those is the RCA PCHUSB2R Portable 2 Outlet USB Charger for iPod/iPhone/Blackberry and Other Devices, and it is white. I use all of the chargers that I own, some for when I'm mobile and some at home.

My review was posted to help others that are looking at the PowerFast charger from the point of an owner and a product user. It was not to engage here in a debate about Amazon, their marketing policies, or their product offers. If you follow the link below, I'm sure that you'll find plenty of folks who share your feelings.

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 5:44:47 AM PDT
REED420 says:
BRAVO!!!, Extremely well thought out & written review. This is a perfect example of what a review should be. It is all too often that folks write reviews that make no sense or don't tell you anything about said product. I appreciate your effort & give you my thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 3:13:12 PM PDT
Many thanks, REED420. It was an honest and up-front review from one who uses a number of these USB charging devices. I bough it when it was still $19.99, yet don't regret it for a moment, as I was looking for an upgrade from the original Kindle Fire charger. If I didn't think that it worked as I hoped, I would have stated so in my review, but I've been quite satisfied with its performance and convenience.

Thanks again for your comment and the compliments.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (12,803 customer reviews)
 (8,448)
 (1,999)

$19.99
Reviewer

John Williamson
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Location: NYC & Bucks County, PA