2,345 of 2,414 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Improvements! Check out my video review!, August 27, 2010
This review is from: Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display (Electronics)
Length:: 2:31 Mins

I just received my new Kindle, and my early impressions are very positive - it's definitely a solid step up from the previous generation Kindle. Check out my video review to see/hear more!

UPDATE 9/7/2010: Hey guys - based on the comments received there are definitely some questions that people are interested in that I didn't touch on in my video review - so I wanted to take some time to answer some of those questions here. Hopefully this is helpful!

Q: Is the Kindle 3 backlit? If not, then how do you see it at night?

A: The Kindle 3 is not backlit. For the Kindle 2 I used a leather case with a reading light clipped to it. For the Kindle 3 Amazon produced a leather case that has a built-in reading light. I've been using it since day 1 and I love it. I made a video review for that also if you want to check it out:

Q: How well does the new joystick control work?

A: The new Kindle replaces the old five-way navigation joystick with a center button surrounded by a thin 4-way directional control. After messing around with both of these approaches, I don't really have a strong personal preference one way or another - they both work fine for me.

If you have big hands then I can definitely see having a bit of trouble getting used to the new joystick. The directional control is very thin, and if you're going to have trouble with any button on the Kindle... that's definitely going to be the one.

Q: How is viewing PDFs on the Kindle 3? Are they easy to upload onto the Kindle?

A: Uploading PDFs to the Kindle is very easy. You just connect your Kindle to your computer via USB cable and then drag and drop the PDFs. Totally simple. Viewing them is pretty decent, but the major problem is that most PDFs aren't designed for a 6 inch screen. You might have to do a lot of zooming and panning to see the content you want. If you plan on viewing a ton of PDFs, then you may want to check out the Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G, 9.7" Display, Graphite, 3G Works Globally ' Latest Generation.

Q: How well does the text-to-speech work?

A: It's ok. You definitely won't mistake it for a professionally produced audiobook, but it doesn't sound as bad as you may think it will. Also note that text-to-speech is not available for every book. You can see on the product page for each Kindle book if text-to-speech is enabled or not.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 13 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 90 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 28, 2010 12:44:08 PM PDT
H. Pereira says:

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2010 1:42:08 PM PDT
Steve says:
No problem, glad it was helpful!

Posted on Aug 28, 2010 2:09:44 PM PDT
M. Szwed says:
Thanks for the video. It was helpful.

Posted on Aug 28, 2010 2:13:09 PM PDT
Lisa says:
Thank you so much for the video review! It's better than Amazon's. I just ordered my first Kindle (my first ebook reader) and I was a little nervous about the order since I didn't really feel like I knew what I was getting (page turn speed, etc.) this video helped a lot. Now I can't wait. :)

Posted on Aug 28, 2010 4:13:49 PM PDT
perera says:
I don't have a kindle yet, but seriously thinking about getting one. I like your video because it helps me see how the new kindle works as opposed to the old one. I'm currently using my laptop and iphone4 for most of my reading but now I think ill get a kindle. Thanks.

Posted on Aug 28, 2010 4:14:33 PM PDT
A Customer says:
Very good summary, although I wish you had shown the joystick function in the new one.

Posted on Aug 28, 2010 4:37:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 28, 2010 4:38:27 PM PDT
M. Vitek says:
Thanks so much for the GREAT video review. I only bought my Kindles in May and July (one for me and one for each of my adult daughters). Obviously it would have been smart had I waited until the 3rd version was released! However, all three of us have thoroughly enjoyed version 2, and I have read more books because of the remarkable convenience than would have been possible any other way. I would like to have heard how the experiement text to voice works on the 3rd kindle. Again, seeing both together REALLY helped me to make a decision to buy the newer one. Thanks again for taking the time to help others make their decision! Sincerely, Maggie

Posted on Aug 28, 2010 5:18:26 PM PDT
I was a die-hard Sony Reader guy until they decided to make a change to their format which no longer properly displays on the device. I ordered the new Kindle and am on a waiting list, and after seeing your video, am pleased that I have. The only problem is the wait. Thanks for this video. Great stuff! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2010 6:18:48 PM PDT
Steve says:
You're right, I definitely should have shown the differences between the two joysticks - I knew I would forget something!

The new Kindle replaces the old five-way navigation joystick with a center button surrounded by a thin 4-way directional control. After messing around with both of these approaches, I do not have a strong personal preference one way or another - they both work fine for me.

If you have big hands then I can definitely see having a bit of trouble getting used to the new joystick. The directional control really is very thin, and if you're going to have trouble with any button on the Kindle... that's going to be the one.

Posted on Aug 28, 2010 7:36:07 PM PDT
Robert M says:
Great video review! I was interested to see if there was a noticeable difference in contrast with the new one, as I have always thought the screens seemed a little too dark to comfortably read for very long. It seems like the screen is a little brighter on the new one and it really helped being able to see them side-by-side. Thanks again :)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (41,719 customer reviews)
 (29,361)

Used & New from: $56.75
Add to wishlist
Reviewer

Steve
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Location: Massachusetts, USA