1.0 out of 5 stars This cup LITERALLY EXPLODED in my microwave yesterday!!, December 24, 2010
This review is from: Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Clear with Red Measurements (Kitchen)
The name Pyrex as well as Anchor Hocking are names we all have associated with quality glass products used in the kitchen for many years. What a shock when this very cup exploded in my microwave yesterday. Fortunately no injuries - just a mess to clean up. Wow is all I can say. I have had the cup for several years and use it daily to heat water for tea, and never quite to boiling. WOW!!!

So I took it upon myself as a consumer to find out what was the problem. Would you believe this has happened to thousands of others? Let me tell you why and refer you to the January 2011 Issue of Consumer Reports beginning on page 44. It does a much better job of explaining the problem than I could ever do. Below is a quick summary of what I have discovered.

Apparently about 12 years ago Corning sold its Pyrex name and manufacturing operations to company called, "World Kitchen". Who knew?
Well according to the in depth article they switched the glass from something borosilicate to a much cheaper to produce glass known as lime soda. There have been THOUSANDS of documented cases of Pyrex cookware literally exploding sometimes causing serious injury over the last 10 years. Our government is very aware of this problem yet no warnings or action has been taken to protect the innocent public consumer. So what else is new? I can think of many things from tainted meat and eggs to lead contaminated toys from China that we have been subjected to in the last few years. This is just one more.

So now if you have gone this far you are now fully aware of the problem. If you choose to ignore what has happened to Pyrex and Anchor Hocking products then as they always say, "Let the buyer beware". From reading the article I have found that a safe product does exist on the market. It is produced by a French company called Arcuisine. More money of course. But I don't want anything exploding in my hands or into my face made of glass, so I guess I must pay the price to be safe. Now you know why the Pyrex products are so cheap - and they aren't produced in China - or are they? According to the article all manufacturing for Pyrex products is done in Charleroi, PA. But now I'm even suspicious of that claim. After all China is a much cheaper place to manufacture most things. And who would know?

Let the buyer beware. Your government is not going to protect you.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 25, 2010 8:22:38 PM PST
J. Cabrera says:
Follow the instructions that come with your Pyrex products, and you won't have a problem. The Government is too busy to protect people with no common sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2010 8:01:27 PM PST
Personal insults don't have a place on this website and are an indication of the character of the writer.

I invite everyone who has any doubts about my review to read the article in Consumer reports I referred to in my initial review. The problem I sighted is not one of my lack of common sense. Indeed this is an issue of all of us consumers being placed in danger by companies whose only concern is profit and NOT quality. How many times have we all been victimized by buying a product based on its reputation (ie. Toyota) only to find out it ain't what is used to be. In the case of Pyrex, Corning Glass Works sold the company along with its reputation (read goodwill) to a complete unknown who proceeded to cheapen the product and the consumer had no idea. I repeat, let the buyer beware.

Posted on Dec 29, 2010 12:27:59 PM PST
Woody says:
I am sorry yours blew up, I happen to love pyrex but you are right they don't make them like they used to. Microwaves cause problems, that is why I pulled the plug on my micro it is dangerous, even if the product is good it can explode in the micro

Posted on Jan 7, 2011 5:01:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2011 5:25:50 PM PST
CSRED says:
Thank you so much! I read the Consumer Reports articles and this is a real problem--they have even exploded under proper use. Wow. Who knew? I will not buy any Pyrex until the issue is resolved!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2011 2:46:33 AM PST
B. Colbert says:
If you look at the Arcuisine replacement for the Pyrex measuring cup it gets very mediocre reviews.

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 2:55:11 AM PST
B. Colbert says:
This review is flat out fear mongering. Go to http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp
to get the full story on Pyrex and issues that surround it. This review tries to cast doubts through innuendo. Read the article and decide for yourselves.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2011 11:38:38 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 3, 2011 11:39:05 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 19, 2011 9:08:45 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Sep 18, 2011 6:18:05 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2011 8:41:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2011 8:48:42 AM PST
Laura Smith says:
My pyrex measuring cup cracked right in front of me. On a cold new york morning I poured hot water into it and it just cracked.. just like that sitting on the table! I have a measuring cup made of brosilicate glass now and have had no problems. Also I found the measurements on this pyrex cup to be off and my new cup has accurate measurement markings.

Posted on Jun 3, 2011 5:50:38 PM PDT
Jorge Gomez says:
I do the same thing a couple of times a day in microwave.. heat up a cup of milk for instant coffee that includes both coffee and diet sugar in the package.. and i like taking it out of the microwave and then tossing the contents in the same container that was in the microwave and then steering it there.. do you have any suggestions on another product that i can do this with.. it has to be at least 2 cups size because as i stir i dont want it spilling over.. thanks
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (1,570 customer reviews)
 (1,189)