2.0 out of 5 stars Sizzle? Did I Miss Something?, June 23, 2010
This review is from: Sizzling Sixteen (Stephanie Plum Book 16) (Kindle Edition)
I love this series but I completely agree with other reviewers. There was no sizzle at all. Yes, it had very funny moments that reminded me of Plum books past, but the redundancy of said humor, action sequences and even style of writing made this book almost tedious. In fact, the comedy and action is starting to play like a sitcom...and I don't want to read a book that plays like a tv show.

The men 'in' her life were hardly 'in' her life, as we didn't see much of them in this one. Please, PLEASE make a decision about your love life Stephanie. It's gotten very old and extremely stale.

I know I keep coming back because I want to see some movement, some resolution, in her love life and her professional life, and its just not happening.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 24, 2010 9:21:05 AM PDT
K.A.S. says:
I agree 100% with this review. I was counting the months then the days until this book came out, but for all the reasons already stated I won't be buying 17. I think Evanovich has to many irons in the fire and this one needs to be extingushed. Now have you read the 'IN DEATH' series by JD Robb? Good read and she writes 2 a year!

Posted on Jun 25, 2010 11:37:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 25, 2010 11:39:14 AM PDT
First, I love this series, but I too was wondering where the sizzle was. Most of the book seemed to be recycled from other books in the series. It's not going over a cliff like Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series did, it just not as laugh-out-loud as the earlier ones. Maybe Stephanie (and girlfriends) need to follow Ranger (or Joe) to a foreign country. How about something along the lines of "Moon Man Does Iran"? Something to kick start some new situations and opportunities for more humor. Just a thought . . .

Posted on Jun 26, 2010 6:55:52 PM PDT
Amy R. says:
I totally agree. I stopped reading the series after #13. It was the same old same old every book. Who is Stephanie going to pick Ranger or Joe? Will Stephanie ever grow up and mature? It was a couple of books back that she could have taken the series in a different direction when Stephanie worked for Ranger in investigations. Stephanie is still single, undecided about who to choose, and is stuck in a career rut. It was funny for the first 8 in the series but has been continually downhill since. I used to love this series. What happened??? Stephanie has not matured or grown as a character. The series needs to end or Janet needs to concentrate only on this series and infuse it with something new and exciting.

Another post mentioned the JD Robb series. It is the only long running series that continually entertains and the characters continue to grow even after 30 plus books in the series. I continue to read and look forward to the two books in the series that Nora Roberts writes every year as well as her novellas/short stories that she writes every year. Maybe Janet Evanovich needs to take some cues from Nora Roberts.

Posted on Jun 27, 2010 6:07:11 AM PDT
I agree with this review. The lack of commitment in her love life is getting tiresome. Most of the characters need to grow.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2010 9:22:10 AM PDT
R. Beaver says:
I very much agree with all the comments here. I even went so far as to write to Janet on her web page. I got a reply from her daughter, Alex's, assistant Ken. He explained that in the world of Plum much like the Simpson's Stephanie and crew do not age. He also went on to explain that most of the escapades happen anywhere from a couple days apart to maybe a month later. Having read that, I thought it was a cop out. Stephanie is not learning anything from her experiences. She could be such a kick ass strong female lead, but Janet is in a rut or living vicariously through Steph.

I do like the premise of her new series coming out later this year featuring the character from the Between the Numbers series, Diesel. I will give that one a try, but not another Plum.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2010 2:55:49 PM PDT
I agree with the different direction. There are many moments in the past where I think, 'Oh, she's going to change things up a bit,' then get disappointed when we keep coming back to the same thing. So many directions not ventured, I wonder if she doesn't use these opportunities because she thinks she's giving us what we want?

Posted on Jul 7, 2010 5:29:37 AM PDT
I agree with you completely Red Head. I dove in to this book really truly hoping that it was going to have some of the zest that books in the beginning had (my fav is #6!) ... The love triangle is tired...and the action wasn't nearly as good as in past books. I remember laughing out loud at earlier books...and this one truly was just the same old same old. As much as I hate to see it end... it's time to wrap up this series. Have Stephanie pick one (Ranger....) and pick a career... please.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2010 12:38:24 AM PDT
R. Beaver, I tried to create a timeline for the series based on the months and/or seasons cited in each of the books (including the between the numbers books) and the dates the books were published. If I did this correctly the series spans a 6 year period in Stephanie time. Long enough for her to become a competent Bounty Hunter.

Sue Grafton has had Kinsey progress through the alphabet series, JE should consider doing the same with Stephanie.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2010 6:46:19 PM PDT
Yea Diane, its about 6 years but in my mind it can't be more that 2 yrs. I can't see Steph still a dope at 36. I can't imagine hunks like Joe & Ranger putting up with her all those years. JE has taken to saying that things happened "a while back". Even the 2 years, in my mind, is too long for Steph to be so inept.

Posted on Jul 26, 2010 4:21:24 AM PDT
jenni dee says:
Great Comments, This is next on my Plum reads, however we would like things to heat up with Ranger, I love the series, but we need a twist.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.5 out of 5 stars (1,038 customer reviews)

$8.99