4.0 out of 5 stars kind of diluted, November 24, 2010
This review is from: Looking Backward: 2000-1887 (Paperback)
I liked to read this book because it contained very unusual or old words. The structure of the sentences reminded me of an era long gone in which people actually had to write to communicate. Nonetheless, the book serves its purpose by condemning his "present" of the 1880's and praising the future that he wakes up in even though it takes the entire book to do it. The main interest I had with the book is that Mr. West wakes up in the year 2000 and I wanted to see what Bellamy thought about it. Bellamy had no knowledge of cars and, therefore, weren't in the novel. Odd by our standards, but so were the flying cars in 1950's theorists' eyes.

Its also a great novel because it completely changed my way of looking at a socialist utopia. You work for the greater good of everyone and if you don't work then you get tossed out. I like socialism and thought this was a more moderate stance. However, it was a great point to clarify and will hopefully push more into the realm of socialist style government.

If you enjoy a short read, took me about a week due to work schedule that week, then I suggest you read this. His ideas about a modern utopia instead of the monopolistic capitalist exploitative world in the 1880's are wonderful and truly make you see the good in socialism.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 6, 2012 8:02:35 PM PDT
I like your review, deathbox. You make me want to read the book. I'm not a fan of socialism because I rather enjoy the fruits of capitalism. In your review you said, "You work for the greater good of everyone and if you don't work then you get tossed out." Where do the people that get tossed out go? To the streets? To concentration camps?
I'll have to read the book to find out.

If you'd like to read a good book about modern socialsim, I recommend "Nothing to Envy" by Barbara Demick. The book is about life in North Korea, a modern day socialist country.

Posted on Sep 29, 2013 8:02:26 AM PDT
Finally, a review that is not scathing and raving. I'm still trying to get an idea of what the story-line is to see if I've read before, and all I get is political mumbo jumbo, but at least yours was nice.....
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (95 customer reviews)

$5.49