3.0 out of 5 stars Well made, doesn't hold laptop securely, January 19, 2009
There are so many other full reviews here that I'll just focus on my gripes in this review.

I'm a computer professional and I've made probably 15-20 week-long air trips in the year and a half since I bought this bag. I carry a 14" Thinkpad T60 laptop.

My #1 gripe is that this bag does not hold my laptop securely due to a bad strap design. As others have noted, this bag is made with a large laptop pouch for 17" laptops. The padded pouch just about covers my 14" laptop completely, with about 5" headroom above the top edge of the pouch and laptop. There is a strap attached to the top of the bag which buckles to the top outside of the pouch wall. There are two basic issues:

1. The pouch covering my laptop is great -- if the laptop would stay in the pouch. The strap does nothing to keep the laptop from sliding up out of the pouch to the unpadded top of the bag. The strap needs to be anchored toward the bottom of the bag so it can come up the back side of the laptop, loop over, then fasten to the pouch wall. Then the length of the strap could be adjusted to hold any size laptop securely in the pouch.

2. The strap attaches to the pouch with a plastic buckle. The buckle is probably 1 cm thick and, if heavy, hard objects like books are in the next compartment, the buckle creates a significant pressure point on the laptop. Also, the buckle releases with pressure on its top, not sides. So those books will make the buckle release, which is what I find at least half the time I travel with this bag. This would be a bigger issue if the strap actually functioned, which it doesn't (see point #1).

If the strap were properly designed, I would give this bag at least 4 stars.

Other less important gripes:
- There are no bungee cord anchor points to hold jacket, extra shoes, travel blanket, etc. I would really appreciate a few strategically placed D-rings.
- The side water bottle pouches could be bigger.
- The pear shape of the bag sometimes makes it impossible to fit under the seat in front of me when the space is unusually small (e.g. AA S80 seat 13F).

Overall, this bag is tolerable and has some nice features. But I'm concerned that my laptop will get damaged because of the non-functional strap.

[Add comment]