5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Book of Tales, March 10, 2003
This review is from: D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths (Paperback)
I first read this book when I was twelve years old and it affected me so much that ten years later I still have a deep and abiding love of Greek mythology. A ratty, paperback copy I found at Salvation Army still holds *the* place of honor in my Greco-Roman collection, usurping The Odyssey, The Iliad, Edith Hamilton, and Robert Graves.
What originally struck me as so fantastic (and still does) is that the D'aulaires don't write down to their audience or edit out details important to the original myth that some parents might not approve of. The end result? An all ages storybook and mythological primer that no one should be ashamed to own.
The drawings are an acquired taste, falling somewhere between Classical pottery paintings and Art Deco, but they do grow on you. My only quibble is that there's no pronunciation guide, which can really hamper you if this is your first exposure to these stories.
Buy this for for your children or even for yourself, you will never regret it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2009 4:34:32 PM PST
T. Hinshaw says:
I agree, having read this dear book as an adult and fell in love with each story. A marvel of marvels and what great illustrations. This book is fine finery and whoever owns a copy, may god and the gods look kindly on them.

Posted on Jan 9, 2010 11:06:42 AM PST
I also agree with this review. I remember my mother giving me this book when I was 10 or 11 years old, and forcing me to read it. I wish I had gotten more into reading it at the time, but I did enjoy looking at the pictures. I may have read other parts of the book at the time, but if I did, I don't remember it. I remembered reading up through to when Hermes had put Argus to sleep, and Hera placed his eyes on the peacock. This is an awesome book that is suitable for any age, makes for great family reading or bedtime reading. Even if you don't want to retell the myth, or have time to do so, the illustrations are enough to help illustrate the story.

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 11:53:34 AM PDT
My Mother gave me this book when I was around 8 or 9, I became obsessed. I'm now an adult and I'm going to purchase a copy for my own kids to share with them. I really loved this book.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2011 2:33:27 PM PST
Ronin says:
Absolutely agree! Had a hard cover version when I was 7 and have devoured Greek and Roman classics ever since. About to order a new copy for my daughter. Truly one of the greats.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (407 customer reviews)

$19.95 $11.27