3.0 out of 5 stars Failed to start game, January 5, 2014
This review is from: Ace Patrol Pack [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
I just cannot start the game. On my Windows 7 Dell laptop w/Sandy Bridge, the games starts, and when it looks like it's going to run.. it closes on its own. Then, I get "Failed to start game app already running" error message. On Windows XP desktop, I just get "Failed to start game. unknown error".

I googled and tried many different remedies, and none of them are working.

Verifying integrity,
installing \Steam\steamapps\common\Pacific Skies\_CommonRedist\OpenAL or vcredist,
unchecking Enable steam community in-game option, etc.

Same thing goes for both Ace Patrol and Ace Patrol Pacific Skies.

There are many open discussions on steam communities for the same error. And 2K games seem to be aware of the error since September, but failed to provide the remedy. Although I like Borderlands, this is not very good customer service.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Update: I have another desktop with i7 and discrete AMD graphics card. On this PC, both games ran without any problems. I am still disappointed by the fact it doesn't run on my laptop w/Intel graphics. This is a strategy game with less than 150MB in size from a reputable developer / publisher. I didn't have this kind of problem from many indie titles I own.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Update2: I got it working on my Windows 7 laptop with Intel graphics. Please, read the comments. This may / may not work for your situation. I added one star and now my review is 3 stars out of 5.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 6, 2014 2:24:03 PM PST
Matthew M. says:
Go into the game's folder and find the OpenAL installer (oalinst I think). Double-click to install it. Problem should be fixed.

The starting issue occurs because the game will not overwrite the machines OpenAL installation if it already exists. You probably have an older version installed from a different game, and Ace Patrol requires version 2.0.7. For some reason, the game won't overwrite any previous OpenAL installs. Don't worry though, your other games will still work with the new installation.

Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2014 3:16:13 PM PST
J. Seo says:
Thank you for the useful information. +1 for your comment!
However, as I wrote in my review I ran oalinst.exe, as well as vcredist.exe, and it still didn't work.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2014 3:42:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2014 3:44:20 PM PST
Matthew M. says:
Did you completely delete your install and re-install? I ask because just "deleting local content" via Steam doesn't actually delete all the leftover files. After uninstalling, make sure you search "Ace Patrol" on your harddrive and delete any leftovers. Make sure you check the %appdata% folders. I know there are some leftovers in the Appdata/local folder.

Also, you can try to uninstall OpenAL completely from your computer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2014 6:09:42 PM PST
J. Seo says:
Thank you for the tips. I decided to give it another try, and it is working.

[ Here's what I did. ]

Uninstalled Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable *2 (x64 and x86).
Uninstalled OpenAL
I downloaded and updated the latest graphics driver from Intel.
Rebooted the laptop.
Reinstalled Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable *2 (x64 and x86).
Reinstalled OpenAL

Then, BOOM. It is working. Now, I'm thinking that it may have something to do with either the older graphics driver or older version of OpenAL / Visual C++ 2012.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2014 6:30:40 PM PST
Matthew M. says:
Gald its working! It was likely OpenAL that was cuasing the problem. It has notoriously had issues (search OpenAL problems on Google).

Enjoy the game! Its pretty fun!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›