Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

4.0 out of 5 stars like 'em a lot, April 2, 2007
This review is from: JLab JBuds J-BLK-FOIL Hi-Fi Noise-Reducing Ear Buds, Guaranteed for Life - Black (Electronics)
I bought these headphones to replace my Sony MDR-EX51LP Fontopia Headphones. I like these better for one two reasons

1) completely superficial reason - it matches my black ipod

2) completely non superficial reason - it's better for my hearing

I typcially keep the sound on my ipod locked at 75% to minimize damage to my ears. With these JBuds I don't have to take that precaution, because I never have to raise the volume up that high. And I listen to my ipod chiefly going back and forth on the subway in D.C., where it can be pretty difficult to block out the sound of the train. I'm really glad I bought them.

Two words of caution, however. First, I don't think the sound is as good as it was with the Sony headphones. I listen mostly to podcasts and audiobooks, though, so it doesn't affect me much. Also, I'm not an audiophile so my standards aren't that high. Secondly, I've gone through 3 pairs of these types of headphones due to the rubber tips falling off. While I prefer these type of headphones to other in-ear phones (I've got small ears, and other types hurt), this is getting pretty aggravating. So electronic companies? Work on that.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 18, 2007 7:13:19 AM PST
Eric Whitney says:
The rubber tips were coming off my set too, so I wrapped some small-diameter string around the plastic where you plug the silicone ear part onto the plastic ear piece and put some super glue on the wrap to hold it. Let dry, trim off the excess and you will have a little raised bump that the rubber part grips onto. Works good, and the rubber part doesn't come off in my ear any more.
Use really small string or heavy thread because you don't want the wrap to be too high.
Eric Whitney sends . . . .

Posted on Feb 10, 2008 1:03:00 PM PST
B says:
I like this review in particular. I too, have small ears. I was basically looking for a pair of earphones to wear while listening to audio books. I walk close to two hours while listening to a book. The larger buds either hurt or fall out. Thanks for the info.; it was exactly what I needed to know.

Posted on Feb 18, 2008 8:17:03 PM PST
A. Kesman says:
I also have small ears and am super excited to find something that won't hurt my ears anymore. The other wrap around kind don't cancel any noise at all and gets drowned out by the train!

Posted on Jun 17, 2008 11:32:28 PM PDT
anyone having trouble with the earbuds slipping off, two words: Super Glue. A tiny smear of glue and stick those puppies on and you'll be set. Naturally don't put a large gob on or it could get in the way of the audio. Just a little is all you need. I had some old Phillips buds that I did this too, they lasted 2 years of heavy use(to school, biking, etc.) and never fell out after I learned this trick. Enjoy!!! Happy Listening!!!

Posted on Jul 1, 2008 6:21:10 AM PDT
Do you find that the smallest ear plug adapters that ship with this package are small enough for small ear canals?

Posted on Aug 3, 2008 5:17:30 PM PDT
ElmoTheCat says:
I find if you keep the tips clean and careful removing them, you won't lose them so easily. It never fails, when I'm in a rush, I tend to yank them out and then wonder where the tip went later on the ride home... I'm wondering if the Sony silicone ear tips fit this headphone? (they aren't rubber, they're silicone) If so, I've got a bunch of medium and large pairs, being as I use only the small sets myself. They fit my VModa's. Too bad we can't figure out how to trade and swap the ear tips...

Posted on Nov 12, 2008 12:54:00 PM PST
Leigh Bain says:
Fantastic review! I too have small ears, but i have a puppy too that keeps finding the really expensive set of headphones my husband has bought me. I love to listen to music, podcasts and audiobooks when going to sleep. I have severe chronic pain some nights and other nights it's just plain chronic pain (lower level of overall pain). My Ipod is a lifesaver but with two sets of headphones where the left side cut out after a week of use, and two other sets of headphones that have been eagerly chewed up by my puppy's curiousity - I am at a loss as to how to get sound. I am currently using one of the sets with the left side gone and I have to raise the volume so high it wakes my husband up next to me. I'll be placing these on my christmas list along with some kinda pouch if I can find it. If you have kids, babies or puppies, I suggest you find a REALLY good hiding place for your earbuds lol. They will find them. But it's nice to know that these won't hurt my ears and I can go back to sleeping peacefully again =).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2010 2:47:34 PM PST
R. Laisle says:

Posted on Dec 9, 2010 2:59:04 AM PST
Mindie Chu says:
Before I bought these ear buds, I had bought replacement silicone rubbers for my Skullcandy ear buds and they fit these headphones and would be cheaper than buying replacement ear buds.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›