Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get into it., February 1, 2009
This review is from: MySims Kingdom - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
I'll admit, I'm not very far into this game - but I doubt I'll get much further. It's just not holding my interest, and although some other reviews say that it picks up eventually, I don't really think I'm going to stick it out til then.

I love Animal Crossing, loved the original Sims, loved Sims 2 for DS. This is a genre I'm usually into, but this one just kinda feels like a knockoff - some game thrown together by a no-name company to cash in on a trendy genre, not something that's actually a part of the Sims series. Right now in the game, just about all I can do is combine "essences" to make stuff and place it in the town. This would be much more interesting if I knew what I was trying to accomplish in doing this - putting random stuff in random places just isn't that exciting, especially since right now I have very limited control over what I can actually make.

The minigames are okay, but not good enough to carry the game. And it takes forever to run around the kingdom - which is always an issue in this type of game, but again if I felt like there were a reason for me to run to a particular place it wouldn't be so annoying.

Overall, this game starts off very slowly with minimal plot to introduce the characters and overall structure, then sets you free with a minimal number of things you're capable of doing and little direction as to why you're doing them or what would be the best way to go about doing them. It feels very slow and pointless, and I've lost interest almost before I've started.

And as a side note - why is it called Kingdom, and why is there a king? If you're going to sell a game like that, at least have the decency to make it medieval-themed. That would definitely have bumped up the novelty factor some.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 27, 2009 9:03:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 27, 2009 9:04:42 AM PDT
punzel says:
I think it's a bit unfair to say this is an Animal Crossing knock-off. This is made by a well known company (not a no-name), Electronic Arts. EA makes the wildly popular Sims games, so this is a Sims-type game, not an Animal Crossing game.

I am not defending the gameplay of MySims Kingdom, as I have not played it. The comparison to Animal Crossing and calling EA a no-name company is unfair and inaccurate.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2009 8:48:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2009 8:49:16 AM PST
Brandy says:
I meant that it feels like a Sims knock-off. Not that it is one, but it feels like one despite actually being part of the Sims series. (Similarly, I did not call EA a no-name company - it FEELS LIKE a knock-off made by a no-name company, I didn't say that it IS one.)

Posted on Jul 8, 2010 4:52:28 PM PDT
KitKat <3 says:
This was kinda made for kids that might want Sims games, but can't due to the rating of the original Sims ratings.
I know how you feel, because me and my older sister like to play Sims (well, I just watch).
It does take awhile, though. To me it is a play it for a few days, then leave it alone for a month kind of game (hence the label casual).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›