1.0 out of 5 stars Not As Advertised, June 8, 2012
This review is from: GoPro Wi-Fi BacPac + Wi-Fi Remote Combo Kit (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Camera)
GoPro APP + SMARTPHONE OR TABLET
Use your Smartphone or Tablet as a live video remote control
Enjoy convenient live video + photo preview and playback
Wi-Fi transfer* your favorite videos and photos from your GoPro to your Smartphone or Tablet and share with friends
Use your Smartphone as a hotspot to live stream video and share photos + videos to the web

WOW, what a cool feature!
But you will be disappointed If you've purchased this product because the features listed above, those are just what you would get if you paid for a finished product.
The features are not there and GoPro is not giving any information on when this feature will be released, for all we know it could be next year!

So I bought this gadget for the 3 features that aren't there.
The manual provided with BacPac is not well written.
Remote shutter control is the only function available, it is very convenient in some situations but not worth the price.

Also the product arrives completely inoperative, you must install updates on remote, backpack and cam to "fix it".
It is understandable that the Camera itself needs an update, but the firmware on bacpak and remote is not functional out he box!

My recommendation is to wait for updated firmware before buying this gadget.
I will be definitely returning this one back.

I own almost all their products and add-ons, including 3D rig and LCD packs. Have to say that I'm very disappointed with the GoPro product for the first time.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 23, 2012 5:38:17 AM PDT
Sadly, must completely concur. Updates were unclear, labor intensive and buggy. Plus I have 6 of the bloody things in a mix of HD/HD2 naturally, different process w different functionality and oyh yes...the feature set that is vaporware.....What a PITA! Not to mention the "bug" w the HD2 resulting in BlackFrames which Gopro knows about but wont resolve... I've been a longtime fan using these personally AND professionally. For a company whose principal claim to fame was quality AND convenience, with the acquisition of Cineform and an UI that is clumsy and buggy at best, feels like GoPro have finally bit off WAY more than they can chew. Sorry guys, remember when google just did the best searches...

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 12:40:40 PM PDT
Jimmy says:
GoPro has stated that the app will be released in late August.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 2:55:05 PM PDT
Raptor says:
There right I got this thinking I could use it with Go pro hero with the phone app but that isn't going to work. And I had a hard time updating everything with a PC, but it did work with a mac. I wouldn't buy it again, and I should take this back, maybe I will.

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 3:42:47 AM PDT
Absolute truth about gopro,
Just stay way from this product,
Poor in low light, NOTHING WORKS OUT OF BOX! And they are selling things and advertising things that aren't even invented yet!!!
You can get alot more for the same or less without all the bull

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 3:43:28 AM PDT
They said that in June and July ........don't hold your breath

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 3:45:38 AM PDT
KevinB. says:
Ps the remote control for the wireless back pack only last for about 20-30 minute and requires a 1 hr recharge
This stuff is really junk

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 7:15:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2012 7:18:26 AM PDT
I have had the same issue & I own almost everything they make. Not only will it not stream my WIFI unit crashed during the update & they had to replace it. I still can't get the remote to control the camera & am just tired of trying to get to their support people to talk about it. This was a poorly premature attempt at making a quick buck & not by any means up to GO PRO standards. They need to stop selling this thing until they get everything in place & also never send out something that need updating before you turn it on... Truly embarrassing for them I would think.

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 3:57:34 PM PDT
Looks like GoPro has made the big announcement! (in their usual way). No hope of App soon. Changed the Support Page info from "End of August" to "Fall 2012".

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 9:33:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2012 7:33:15 AM PDT
Brad Vickery says:
So No LCD BacPac while using this item. I guess that's asking a lot to stack backpacks upon each other. Still it would make some sense. Thats why the phone app is appealing. The wi fi back pack is needed when the android app comes out. That way I can have my remote and monitor too.

Update: I have the device because it will work as a remote shutter - status device, and the app will come out. Unclear if a PC can be used instead of a phone? I really like it but miss my LCD screen. I would like the app to work on my laptop as well.

I asked if I could be informed by email when the app comes out and below is the two answers. But still gotta wait two days for support takes to get back. I really think they should step it up and have a live person on a phone service though. As you can see they say, "the engineers are working feverishly to launch the GoPro app. The GoPro app is scheduled for launch Fall of 2012". I understand for instant gratification and the disappointment of some about waiting for the app but I would really like to see all the bugs worked out before getting mine so I am on the side of patience.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Brad,

Thank you for contacting GoPro. I really appreciate your input and I can tell you that our engineers are working feverishly to launch the GoPro app. The GoPro app is scheduled for launch Fall of 2012.
GoPro would like to launch a superior software product that will provide our customers a positive experience than to have a faulty app that will require a fix, patch or update. I do apologize for the delay and hope that you understand. Thank you for your support and I am looking forward to the GoPro app launch.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Many Thanks,

Dom D
GoPro Support
www.gopro.com/support
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Brad,

With all of our customers I would not be telling you the truth if I said I can contact you via email when it is launched. I would recommend that you check our website periodically for newsletter updates.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Many Thanks,

Dom D
GoPro Support
www.gopro.com/support
---------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 5:39:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2012 7:14:32 PM PDT
Carl Tyler says:
So the delivery for the SmartPhone app has gone from "Coming Soon" to "Late Summer" and now the website says "Fall"

Will be interesting to see if they can even meet that.

Talk about over promising and under delivering. I have lots of their products, this whole situation is very disappointing.

UPDATE
So the app is now available, it now does what they say it can do, and I am very pleased. There is about a 3 second lag in the video preview, but it is a preview and I can turn the camera on/off, change settings etc. with the iPad. The range is perfect for my needs, I look forward to now controlling the camera attached to my planes wing with the iPhone app. Finally.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›