Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now DOTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, November 5, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Kinect Sensor with Kinect Adventures! (Video Game)
This is mostly a duplicate review from my Xbox360+Kinect Bundle review...

I only found out about Kinect a couple of weeks ago. After reading some of the preliminary reviews, I was intrigued enough that I pre-ordered it almost immediately. Since first finding out about it, I have read as many reviews as I have had time to read. Unfortunately, the more I read the more leery I got about my pre-order. Most of the reviews complained about lag, or the space requirement, or that the games were nothing more than regurgitated Wii games, and how every game title ever developed wasn't re-developed for Kinect on launch day. WTF?

Setting up Kinect was a breeze. Plug and play. A few setup items and you're ready to go.

We moved the coffee table out of the way and moved the couch back a couple of feet to get the 6-8 foot distance recommeded in the documentation. But I don't think you need that much space, honestly. For some of the games, we were as close as 3-4 feet from the Kinect and it worked just fine. I think the space "problem" is a non-issue.

We played Kinect Adventures first, the game that comes in the box. Wii-like? Yes. Fun? Soooooo much more fun than any Wii game I've played. That Kinect can track your every move -- your hands, head, arms, feet, hips, EVERYTHING -- is just amazing. No controller can detect whether you're moving side-to-side, or backwards and forwards, or squatting or jumping while at the same time moving your arms and feet. It's just brilliant how well Kinect works.

One game in particular really shows the potential of this thing. You're in an underwater tank and crazy fish keep poking holes in the glass. You have to plug these holes to keep the water from coming in. In some cases I had to use both hands, both feet, and my head to plug all of the holes...yes, all at the same time. The girlfriend and I had a blast with it. The other games were just as fun.

I think Your Shape best highlighted what Kinect is capable of. You are an infrared replication of yourself on the screen. The shape of my body was precise (unfortunately) and it even picked up the logo on the t-shirt I was wearing. There are numerous exercises you can do and you follow along with an instructor. You have to stay in sync with the intructor to earn points and advance to higher levels and the Kinect does an amazing job of following your every movement and comparing it to the instructor. Not spreading your feet far enough apart? It'll tell you. Not keeping the right rhythm? It'll tell you. It is so much more immersive than anything I've played on the Wii and I can now actually see myself doing Your Shape instead of going to the gym. It's really fantastic.

A lot of the reviews complained about lag, meaning it takes a bit for the Kinect to detect your movements and get them on the screen. Is there lag? Yes, as measured in fractions of a second. Is it noticeable? Only if you're specifically focusing on it. But it's not noticeable during actual game play because you're focusing on the game. And just like with the Wii, you quickly learn to compensate for that fraction of a second difference. It's an absolute non-issue!!!!!

All-in-all, having played three titles (Kinect Adventures, Kinect Sports, and Your Shape) over a span of a couple of hours, the girlfriend and I were exhausted, exhillarated, and amazed at the experience. My girlfriend, being a typical girl, whose life isn't defined by gadgets, even posted on FB that the Kinect really is AMAZING! It more than exceeded our expectations and I couldn't be happier with the purchase. And I am absolutely ecstatic about what Kinect means for the future of gaming. Fully immersive Call of Duty? Yeah, it's coming!

Great job Microsoft! You should be proud of yourselves!

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 5, 2010 6:23:07 PM PDT
Joshua Krist says:
Totally agree with all of the above, especially the aquarium/plug a leak game. It sounds boring but is crazy-fun. Rafting is the one game where the jumps felt a little laggy, all else is great. I got such a workout just playing these games that I'm fairly certain Your Shape could be a gym substitute--if you really stick to it. Hoping they have a pilates/yoga section.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2010 5:14:14 PM PST
x1STP_KLOSRx says:
I couldn't agree more! I purchased Kinect with very limited expectations and came out very pleased. Even my friend who wasn't big on Kinect purchased one and is enjoying it.

Posted on Nov 9, 2010 6:27:44 PM PST
Thanks for addressing the issues that other people are raising. I've been looking forward to this gadget for awhile and, just like you, got more and more tentative the more I read reviews. It's good to hear that my enthusiasm isn't misplaced.

Posted on Nov 11, 2010 10:17:04 AM PST
F. Crick says:
Great review - I would just add that the space you need depends a lot on how tall you are - if you're under 5 feet tall, you actually need much less space than if you're over six feet. Also, some games are more picky than others - Dance Central (great game, btw) really needs to see you from head to toe, so if you're tall, you need more room - I'm 6'1" and I need to stand just over 8 feet from the sensor (or more), but i have room for a few feet behind that so I can really move around.

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 7:28:03 PM PST
Sluggo says:

Posted on Nov 20, 2010 7:09:38 AM PST
T. Maschke says:
This is "Santa's" gift for our kids this year. I had purchased a ton of Wii stuff originally (Game console, controllers, extras, and games) and then my husband told me about this. We have it, and I've been reading reviews debating whether to return this XBOX Kinect or not. I finally broke down and returned all Wii stuff and we're doing the XBOX. We've waited so long for a game system, we wanted to do it up right. My only concern was that I read a comment about how sometimes it doesn't "read" people with glasses. I wear them, my husband does and so does our 3 year old daughter. (Our other two kids don't.) So far this is my only concern.
I did want to thank you for such a thorough awesome review. Since we didn't want to take it all out of the box only to have it suck, it was super-refreshing to read your positive review. Thanks for taking teh time to write such a great thorough one.

Posted on Nov 22, 2010 2:51:19 PM PST
demarcod says:
Another advantage of the Kinect over other gaming systems is that you don't have to buy extra controllers for extra players. Pluse you don't have to purchase a balance board or mat. Plus, plus, because your hands are free, you can hold dumbbells or weights while you use programs like Your Shape.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2010 5:21:17 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2010 12:11:14 AM PST
A. Bardack says:
Glasses are definitely not an issue. I wear glasses and it detects me just fine. I did see a note when running facial recognition (the feature that can automagically sign you in to your profile just by looking at your face!) will have to be re-run if you get glasses or lose glasses, but the process is pretty painless (it snaps a few pictures of you in roughly a dozen different poses). As for actually playing the games, it doesn't make any difference whatsoever.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2010 7:13:33 AM PST
J0HNNY N000B says:
I would say the reviewer is quite credible. Just look at his previous Amazon reviews.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›