ARRAY(0xa3fda858)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant PC, August 1, 2012
This review is from: ASUS N56VZ-DS71 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black) (Personal Computers)
I am an experienced pc user. I was looking for a sleek, stylish, and most importantly powerful laptop to replace my previous laptop (a massive and obnoxiously heavy 17.3in gateway FX gaming laptop).

THe exterior is a work of art. The sleek lines, and very solid aluminum exterior leave nothing to want for.

The performance is very good. I wiped the computer right off the bat, and replaced the hard drive with a Crucial M4 solid state drive and I get 12 second boots consistently. Thats 12 second boots, not waking from stand-by.

The built in "instant-on" feature actually works as advertised. I am usually very wary of such voodoo from manufacturers trying to boost sales, but for the short time I had the stock hard drive in, it would truly wake up in 2 seconds. Plus, the other feature that comes with that software can give you absurd standby battery life. It claims right now that I can leave it in standby for 120 days before it runs out of battery. I have yet to test this, but considering they did not lie with 2 second wake-up, I believe it.

Speaking of manufacturer voodoo, I was expecting the supersonic soundmaster extreme or whatever they are calling it to be pointless, but the mini subwoofer actually helps a ton! These are the best laptop speakers I have seen, or heard rather, ever. They are still laptop speakers though, and I will still use a good set of external speakers, or headphones, when I'm listening to music.

The graphics performance is good. I can run Shift 2 Unleashed at all max fluidly. I haven't tried skyrim but I expect it to be pretty good. The screen is beautiful, one of the best I have ever seen in a 15in laptop. The keyboard has good feel, and the backlight is good (Not great, there is some bleeding around the keys and I have seen better).

The portability is what you would expect from a 15in laptop. It isn't exceptionally light, but is certainly portable.

My one complaint is that the size of the screws used on some of the components is ridiculously small, but unless you plan on serious upgrading or modding then this shouldn't affect you.

I am very very happy with this PC, and I would recommend it to anyone (and with the ssd it blows anything else out of the water). If you are considering a mac, stop, and buy this. It has all the aesthetics, is cheaper, and equally/more powerful.

[Add comment]