ARRAY(0xa65a12d0)

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for both looks and protection., March 12, 2011
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: iPearl mCover Hard Shell Cover Case with FREE keyboard cover for 13.3-inch Apple MacBook Air A1369 & A1466 - CLEAR (Electronics)
I was researching for a protection accessory for my 13" MacBook Air to avoid scratches (...because it's so precious, right?) but at the same time don't look so bulky that it turns your thin Macbook Air into a 3" custom body armor.

I looked at the popular InvisibleShield by Zagg, checked their website, very impressed with it. But I found two reasons not using that awesome product: One, No matter how good the shield is in preventing SCRATCHES, it wouldn't prevent a lightest DENT to chassis caused by bumps when one had to rush for an emergency meeting while holding his boss's caramel macchiato on the run. Secondly, it's quite hard to install because you have to ensure the environmental setup to be really clean, lint free - unless if you live in a science lab.

Then I found this product under the "Similar Items" category. I read other owner's reviews, looked at the pictures, and purchased it (Color: Clear). So here are my comments (in bullet form for your convenience):

LIKE:
- Structurally strong: Plastic is constructed with hard and malleable property with a matte surface. 1.5mm plastic layer surrounds all four edges. Coverage excludes the ports for accessibility. Cover will protect most minor bumps.
- Tight Fit: Connection to body is by 11 short tabs that snaps to the inner edges. The hinges are very short, extending only 0.5 mm towards the body - meaning lesser leverage to the tabs - meaning grips well and tabs won't break easily. I actually had a real hard time removing it because a speck of pencil-dot-dust was left inside the cover while installing it - don't ask why, I just had to ...
- Visually pleasing: I stepped back a few meters away and the case just vanishes... Just kidding. It looks very thin, transparent and discreetly designed.
- Heat distribution - I initially suspected the laptop might get warmer being wrapped with an inducting material. However, it seems fine (over a normal computer usage - browsing web with Aerosmith song playing). I also worry about the wi-fi signal being damped, but it seems fine.

DISLIKE:
- Not precisely molded. For example, the 2 tabs at the back cover (at the fan area) obstructs the top cover when one swivels it open. As a result, a rubbing sound between the plastic hinge and the two tabs occurs. This is not a con really but more of a remark for improvement opportunity. So if only the tabs are a hairline thinner (about 0.3 mm), it would be fine.
- Weight affects monitor hinges. Because MacBook Air's thin hinges is weak to support the weight addition of the plastic cover on top of the top metal body. The screen "falls out" when you lift the main board up (about 45 degree elevation) - So just be careful if you want to preserve your hinge's friction.
- Visual Flaw (Subjective): There is a visible carved square marks on the five tabs in front cover which is inevitably a part of manufacturing process. Also, The word MBA13 (hardly visible though) is embossed on the top left corner on the top cover - Dislike!

Bonus Review:
- It comes with a free keyboard shield made of soft-rubber . Quite useful goodies but the thing is it also cupped the sound volume as MBR's sound actually flows out from the spacings between the keys. - Muffing and vibrations are produced above volume level 4.
- Shipping is godspeed. I like this guy, whoever runs the order.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 30, 2011 2:52:10 PM PDT
iPearl Inc says:
First of all, no need to worry about those rubbing noise as they will NOT scratch your laptop.

Secondly, We have improved our mould to get rid of those rubbing noise for future products.

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 9:59:06 PM PST
Tremain B says:
Love the added commentary as you give the likes and dislikes... made me laugh a bit...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 8:47:27 PM PST
ayuh says:
As of March 2, 2012 the clicking, rubbing at hinge is still very much present. Ipearl must still be working through that old inventory.

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 7:06:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2012 7:02:56 PM PDT
Rick G. says:
out of curiosity, does the case do a good job of stiffening the Macbook? I'm looking for a way to ruggedize mine, as I'll be using it in a harsh environment.

UPDATE, 6 months later, my case is still holding up. The clips seem to have trouble locking the top piece into the bottom-back of the screen; so if I'm not careful about how I pick my mac up, it may start to slide up. Other than that, it's done a great job of protecting my Air in Afghanistan. The kick-stands were enough to facilitate the cooling I needed in the summer months (It would get 90+F indoors) I get lots of perplexed looks and always hear, "Is that the new one? I didn't know they came in black."

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 7:13:12 AM PDT
Laurel says:
Thank you for the detailed review. This is what we want to hear.

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 3:42:04 PM PDT
I like everything about this product except for one issue. The aluminum bottom of the MacBook Air case acts as a heat sink to cool the computer. Covering it is not a good idea.

I've been a computer specialist for many years, and I can confidently say that heat is the #1 enemy of every computer. So if you want your computer to last for a really long time, make sure it stays as cool as possible.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 10:59:04 AM PDT
F. Sweet says:
Being a very, very, very, very skeptical old time Mac used (cut my teeth on the FIRST 256k Mac!), the comprehensive review sold me ....and so I bought one NOW. 'Hope I'll be happy in the morning :)

BTW- The Air's Broken Hinge Syndrome REALLY irks me ... making me wonder whether the newby, latte-drinking Mac designers are nearly as good as Jobs and The Woz had been. So naturally, I wondered whether or not the skin rubbing alluded to in the above review exacerbated the Air's Broken Hinge Syndrome.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 2:31:18 PM PST
srinu says:
Lets say I dropped this on the corner from 5 feet on to tile floor, with the case on, would it dent it??? Please reply I am looking into getting one.

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 9:11:40 PM PST
One major flaw in the keyboard cover is that it is not transparent enough to allow one to see the lighting of the keys when sitting in a dark room.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›