5.0 out of 5 stars You must like very dark work to enjoy this series, May 21, 2014
This review is from: House of Cards: Season 2 (DVD)
I like very dark work and this series is certainly one of those. To some viewers too much darkness can push a show over the edge. I think it did that to my husband and my neighbor, who now seem dubious about seeing season 3. I, however, absolutely loved it. Keven Spacey's Francis Underwood is even more rapacious than in season one. He also is on a no holds barred effort to become the next president. Even Claire, his wife, has a few moments of doubt but not Francis. Kevin Spacey also takes this right up to the edge of satire but does not push it over. It is close especially since he has frequent asides to us the audience. Both Spacey and Robin Wright Penn do an outstanding acting job as the ultimate political couple. Both Claire and Francis go the extra mile this season in eliminating anyone standing in their way to the White House. The guy they seek to topple as President is a much better person than either of them but he is terribly weak as a President. I personally am looking forward to season 3.

I adored the F.U. cufflinks given to Francis. It's almost as if the character was given this name just so those cufflinks could be used in some future episode!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 29, 2014 6:03:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2014 6:05:52 AM PDT
janebbooks says:
Carol...I've watched Season 1 of Kevin Spacey/Robin Wright HOUSE OF CARDS and loved it!
In fact, I watched it with my niece when in South Carolina last fall. And then purchased it over Thanksgiving weekend for $10 from an Amazon deal for my daughter (with whom I live) to watch. She loved it, too.

Spacey and Wright are fantastic actors and have a strange chemistry in these films. Spacey has always had a satiric edge...and plays the good old politician from South Carolina (Gaffney) who went to The Citadel so well I'm reminded of a few of real SC lawyers/politicians I knew when younger. Trey Gowdy (Republican, SC) who is doing the latest Benghazi investigation, seems to be an inheritor of the Southern gens, too...

Thanks for rating your review 5 stars; I share most of your tastes in books and films. I bought a ROKU and had a friend install it and teach me the ropes...but I think it's going to be in the next donation bag for Goodwill. I'm a bit technically challenged...although I learned how to program a tv for VHS playing many years ago. It's so easy to slip in a DVD into my 32" HD television slot!

I'm putting Season 2 in my cart in a few minutes. I have a $10 gift card and some $$$ from using my Amazon Visa (3% on Amazon purchases, 2% on gas and drugstore purchases) and a Amazon Prime membership at least until early December 2014. Prime saved me a bunch on shipping Christmas and birthday gifts....although I thought I could use it for streaming....oh, well.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2014 6:19:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2014 6:21:04 AM PDT
carol irvin says:
My husband used to use that roku player. one day i showed him how to use amazon instant video and netflix on a laptop and ipad instead and he's never looked back. it is so much easier to use on those! even an ipad mini works fine for these streaming services. I use both a regular ipad and ipad mini and there is very little difference between the two as far as streaming video (and I have vision and hearing problems). my number one piece of advice to any senior having tech problems is to get onto an ipad or ipad mini ASAP. get a three year warranty. go to the apple store at any sign of a problem. and your tech problems are OVER for good.

i love spacey whenever his character goes home to S. Carolina. That whole thing he did over that sign back home which killed the teenager was my favorite moment in this series. robin wright is now directing some of the series episodes as well and doing a fine job. she has really come into her own ever since she dumped sean penn.
i knew what my husband's favorite moment was going to be. After I knew he'd gotten past the episode in question, I said, "I assume you loved it when a certain person died on the tracks, so to speak." Immediately he was gushing about he was so happy to see the back end of that character and yes, that was his favorite scene.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2014 8:30:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2014 8:47:01 AM PDT
janebbooks says:
Carol, that scene you husband loved must have been the back end of the Rooney girl.
Yes, I know and rejoice in her exit, too, even before I've seen Season 2. But I do admit she gave a fairly good portrayal of a contemporary free spirit...just like her sister gave one of a weird free spirit in her portrayal as Lizbeth Salander...... Don't really care for the modern kinky girl... although there was a gal on MSNBC yesterday morn that caught my eye. Vintage bondage dress (she copies them and sells them), nice dark hair with good cut, black painted fingernails, no visual tattoos although she wore a nice plain jacket over the dress... She has a boutique in NYC, I believe. And was very articulate and poised... Mira was impressed-Morning Joe just stared!

BTW, I had the exact opposite reaction to MI-5/Spooks and its indiscriminate and many character disposals...Rupert Penry-Jones, Matthew MacFayden, Hermione Norris, Richard Armitage... throughout the series. Have you and your husband enjoyed the ten seasons of that series? My daughter purchased an inexpensive Chinese set for us of the first nine seasons.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2014 10:09:59 AM PDT
carol irvin says:
Yes, that was the scene! I think both Rooney sisters are very good actresses. The role for this one was super annoying though. Her role in the UK version was just as annoying too. In that one she went off a building. I think the one who played Lizbeth is the better looking of the two sisters but it could be the makeup as they were both wearing tons in their roles.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2014 10:13:37 AM PDT
carol irvin says:
As for MI5/Spooks, I loved it the first couple of years but starting with Matthew M leaving, my interest started waning and really went downhill fast as they started disposing of the agents at a rapid rate. My husband lasted a year or so longer than I did, then he threw in the towel too. It was at its very best with Matthew M. Oftentimes a show like that never fully recovers from the lead's departing.

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 10:16:24 AM PDT
The name is "Underwood" not "Unger"

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 1:11:29 PM PDT
janebbooks says:
Yes, Carol. EJB is correct. Kevin Spacey playing a Senator from South Carolina named Francis Underwood, not Unger....

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2014 3:31:15 PM PDT
carol irvin says:
Too much media on my part. I got the name of my longtime favorite character in my longtime favorite movie, Felix Unger in the ODD COUPLE, rolled into this story! I've corrected it and thanks.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (314 customer reviews)

$59.95