5.0 out of 5 stars Effective and Easy to Use, December 17, 2008
This review is from: Soiree bottle-top Wine Decanter & Aerator (Kitchen)
Length:: 3:50 Mins

The Soiree is an on-the-bottle wine aerator/decanter. It provides one-hand operation and aerates wine differently than competing products. Rather than passing the wine through a narrow chamber and injecting air into the wine, the Soiree achieves aeration by relying on the tendency liquids have to adhere to surfaces- effectively exposing much of the wine to air while pouring. In a 4-way blind tasting I conducted with 3 tasters of varying degrees of familiarity with wine, the Soiree finished first. Enjoy this video and let me know what you think with comments- I will check back and follow up.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 22, 2009 12:58:24 PM PDT
GuruJon says:
Do you have a video or more details about the 4-way taste testing of the different wine aerators?

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2009 4:48:47 PM PDT
Hi Jonathan,

Yes- here's a link:

Posted on May 22, 2009 7:20:20 PM PDT
PB says:
I find something interesting about this video review. It has a lot of similar lines and scripting as a similar video that is posted on their website. I'm not crying foul here, but it just seems like they are a little too similar. The product seems interesting, but between this video posting, and the one at winesoiree.com, I'd be sure to do some further investigating and see if you can't try one before you buy one at your local wine store.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2009 10:55:24 AM PDT
Hi Patrick,

First off, thanks for watching my review and for taking the time to leave a comment.

I can't tell for sure which video on winesoiree.com you're referring to since there are several videos on their site. If there are similarities between my review and someone else's, it's probably because we followed a basic review format whereby we describe how the product is supposed to work according to the manufacturer's claims, list some pros and cons and then summarize with whether we'd recommend the product.

It sounds like you may be implying that the reviews you've seen are scripted or paid endorsements. I can assure you that I'm just a regular wine consumer who cares enough about wine to write a wine blog and occasionally review wine accessories. Like other wine accessories I've reviewed, I received the Soiree as a free sample. I disclose that in the review.

My sample policy is laid out here if you'd like to have a look:

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,
Robert Dwyer
The Wellesley Wine Press

Posted on Dec 14, 2009 8:14:47 AM PST
Macneto says:
thank you very much for writing such a detailed and well written review. I wasn't sure which aerator to purchase but after reading a few different reviews i decided to go choose the Soiree. It seems that for the price and quality this just couldnt be passed up. Thank you again for taking the time to show a comparison for a few different products.

Posted on Apr 25, 2010 3:48:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2010 3:50:26 PM PDT
kzolady says:
Have you seen the Nuance Wine Finer? I saw it on Americas Test Kitchen. It was the winner of their product testing for wine aerators. It is pretty cool. It aerates, filters, has a no drip spout and a stopper. As long as you are checking out wine aerators you should look at this one also. Another upside to this product is that it would be hard to break.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2010 5:39:07 PM PDT
Robert Dwyer says:
@kzolady I've heard of the Nuance Wine Finer but I haven't used it. It seems like it has nice features but I've heard it pours slowly. Have you tried it?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2010 5:53:13 PM PDT
kzolady says:
I haven't tried it. I'm not much of a drinker. I was thinking of getting it for my BIL. He likes that kind of stuff.

Posted on May 5, 2011 8:41:00 AM PDT
J. Vineyard says:
Robert,
I recently picked up a Soiree aerator. The first two bottles I attempted to use the Soiree with, I had significant difficulty in getting the rubber stopper into the mouth of the bottle. Ultimately I was unsuccessful and ended trying to hold the soiree in the mouth of the bottle while pouring. I thought I might break the glass if I forced it in. These were standard bottles, both 750ml of a L'Aventure red wine and a French wine from Cahors. Did you experience any problems like this?
Thanks,
James Vineyard

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2011 8:47:25 AM PDT
Hi James!

I haven't run into too many bottles my Soiree didn't fit into, but some are definitely a tighter fit than other and I can imagine what you're saying about being afraid to break it if you try to force it.

I know they've used a couple of different gasket configurations. In the one I used in the video review there were 2 gaskets shipped with the product. The supplemental gasket is intended for larger bottles however so it wouldn't help in your situation.

You say you recently purchased the device so perhaps yours has one of their "universal gaskets"? With these there is no 2nd gasket supplied and the part of the device that fits in the wine bottle is angled so it hopefully works for a wider range of bottles.

Either way, I hope that over time a higher percentage of bottles fit well for you. I'd bet they will.

Hope this helps.

-Robert
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (213 customer reviews)

$24.99 $18.68