Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now May4th

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book on Tomcat 7, October 22, 2011
This review is from: Apache Tomcat 7 (Paperback)
This is actually the third Apress series book I have read, and I continue to be impressed. But a potential buyer should know the following; Most of these books are not for the novice looking to start on a technology. That is very true for Apache Tomcat 7.

We use Apache for our production environment at work, and have some significant experience with it. This book has been a great resource for looking a bit deeper in to the inner workings of Tomcat, and is an excellent resource as we prepared for moving to Tomcat 7. In fact, the publication of the book happily coincided with our planned upgrade to Apache 7, so we were able to use the book as a mechanism to review and consider how we would deploy the new production environment. For our more senior web administrators, this was an excellent review. For those of us in senior management positions, this was a good primer on the capabilities of the web site.

I tend to enjoy the Apress format, and Vukotic and Goodwill followed this as I found in previous books. There are good examples in the book, but it will not force you to follow exercises. You are expected to read this and comprehend. I found it beneficial to work in a server VM while reading the book so some of the more interesting elements of the book could be followed and played with.

I have one small complaint; As a Netbeans user, I would prefer more examples using that IDE. But the book uses Eclipse. I totally understand the fact that many Java developers prefer Eclipse to Netbeans. And it is impossible to cover all IDE, just as its unrealistic to use a simple text editor. I just have to plug Netbeans for my own interest.

This book had some great chapters in it. I particularly found interesting the JNDI chapter. Again, this is a great resource for a production team. As we upgraded to Tomcat 7 we implemented some interesting ideas discussed in this book between our development and production environments.

Be warned, this is not a book for the novice. You will need to understand Java technology and web based application environments. But you do not need to be a full blown subject matter expert. This was a good book for reviewing the principals of the Tomcat and learning how it works in the latest version.

If you are preparing to upgrade to Tomcat 7, this is a good resource. If you are preparing to use Tomcat 7 for a Java application for work or school or personal use, this is a good resource.
There are many books that start off well, and then drop of a chasm in Chapter 2. This book does not. Its stays consistent through the discussion and I think meets the need for the technology. You won't learn Java in this book. You will learn to deploy and manage Java applications using Tomcat 7, as well as other elements of Web programming.

The bottom line; this is a good book and I would recommend it for the working web developer or manager expected to use Tomcat 7 for their development/production environments.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]