5.0 out of 5 stars A N64 arcade shooter classic gets even better, September 9, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Star Fox 64 3D (Video Game)
I truly believe that Nintendo should include a warning label on every copy of Star Fox 64, both the original 64 version, and now this new 3DS remake. It would go something like this: "Warning, this game is so incredibly addictive, yes, so absurdly fun that it may, in fact, destroy any stability and desire in you to do anything productive. Relationships, work ethic, and basic personal hygiene may suffer. Play and have a blast at your own risk." Seriously, this game is so fun, it will devour your soul. I don't know anyone who was ever a "casual" player of Star Fox 64, and for good reason, because this was one of the funnest, most classic games on the Nintendo 64. I played it a ton in its original form when I was a kid (ah the memories), and now I am happy (and somewhat nervous, given how addicted I and many others can get with it) to say that this remake is just as great as the original. As a matter of fact, in some ways, Star Fox 64 3D vastly surpasses the original.

Chances are, you already know what you're getting here with Star Fox 64. It's essentially a 3D space shooter with tantalizing arcade appeal, excellent control mechanics, a ground-breaking (for its time) story branching mechanic that allowed roughly 25 different possible paths through the story based on performance, near limitless replayability, a more cinematic feel (at least compared to Star Fox on the SNES), and enough cheese-smothered charm to feed an army of mice. All of these selling points are back and better than ever. It's great, but the enhancements in this remake are amazing and really add to its quality.

In a time when most companies lazily port old games with no update whatsoever (I'm looking solely at you Rayman 2: The Great Esca...er, um... I mean "Rayman 3D"), Nintendo once again shows us how it is done. Star Fox 64 3D retains what was great about the original (the levels, gameplay, and audio) and completely enhances what has perhaps aged quite a bit, namely the visuals, and by adding some new features. The graphics are jaw droppingly gorgeous, especially if you remember the original. Seriously, compare pictures/videos of them side-by-side and you'll be amazed at how far technology has come in 14 years. Bravo, Nintendo EAD and Q-Games, you did great! The 3D is also one of the best implementations I've seen yet on the 3DS. Lasers, meteors, enemies, background vistas (which look fantastic), particle effects, the Arwing, you name it, the 3D really does it all justice and, most importantly, actually enhances the gameplay itself. The audio has been enhanced a bit as well, with rerecorded voice-acting and some of the sounds and music have been remixed or remastered, but overall, it has thankfully remained pretty much untouched. The classic musical score by Koji Kondo and Hajime Wakai is as epic as it ever was, the voice acting is still awesomely cheesy, and yes, Falco is still a hilariously smug jerk, and thank goodness for that. That character alone makes my day. The others are great too though. ;)

They did add some new things other than the obvious visual effect. There is also a scoring mode after you complete the campaign that allows you to go back for medals, adding even more to the appeal for arcade gamers. There's also a save system now,a huge update from the original, thank goodness. There are also two control-modes of play, the classic N64 control scheme that utilizes purely analog stick and button inputs, as well as a new 3DS scheme that takes advantage of the 3DS' gyroscope capabilities. I prefer the N64 controls, but the gyroscope-mode works surprisingly well and is incredibly fun to use, but it usually nullifies the 3D because of position change. So there is a trade-off there.

I'll be honest, I don't care a whole lot for multi-player in Star Fox 64 3D, but it's there. There's no mode for playing against others on the internet, unfortunately, but there is a 4-local multiplayer for you to play with your friends if one of you has this game and all of you have your own 3DS (duh). They did add some power-ups to that mode and overall, it plays fairly nicely, based on my limited experience with it. If you have friends who all own a 3DS to play this with, then you'll love it.

Star Fox 64 was one of my all-time favorite N64 games, right up there with The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, and the original Super Smash Bros. If all video game remakes were like this and Ocarina of Time 3D, I'd get every single one (here's hoping for a Majora's Mask remake too). Star Fox 64 is a classic that has been given a really great treatment in this remake. It enhances all the aspects that needed updating, while keeping the core addictive awesomeness of the original Star Fox 64 perfectly preserved. This really is a timeless game, and I give this 3DS version the highest recommendation. Buy it, blast n'splode it, and soar through the galaxy, saving the Lylat system in your iconic, trusty Arwing!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 10, 2011 9:20:31 AM PDT
RabidFish says:
No online capabilities in a game like this is unforgivable in this day and age, but I am buying this because I loved the original so much. Great review btw.

Posted on Sep 10, 2011 12:35:15 PM PDT
T. Hill says:
RabidFish (lol), I totally agree with that. Online capabilities should be a given, but Nintendo has shown a reluctance to catch up with the modern times in the past few years this way. I would have loved to play this online against friends and other people. THEN, I would have cared about multi-player.

If you loved the original, you'll love this just as much, perhaps even more. Enjoy!

Thanks for the nice compliment btw. :)

Posted on Sep 10, 2011 3:20:50 PM PDT
ZX 1971 says:
Thanks for taking the time to write this review. While the remastered graphics look great, I'm just not sold on paying $40 for what amounts to the same game I already bought for the N64 and again for the Virtual Console. You'd think with the botched 3DS launch, Nintendo would offer their 2 N64 ports (this and Zelda) for a more reasonable $20-$25. I'll save my money up for Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land, and hope the price on Starfox comes down.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2011 6:42:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 12, 2011 10:03:09 AM PDT
T. Hill says:
Well, with the amount of work that went into these remakes, that is to say, an obviously large amount of it, I can understand pricing them as if they were new games.

That said, I think 3DS games are roughly 5-10$ more expensive than they should be. The 3DS system WAS way too expensive, and then they lowered it to where it should be reasonably. I hope they do that with the games too.

However, Amazon sells these games for a lot cheaper than retail pretty quickly. A lot of the venders selling used games will sell near-new products for much cheaper. Sometimes even new games are cheaper. I bought a new copy of Ocarina of Time 3D for 30$, a much nicer price tag.

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 1:49:44 PM PDT
Thanks for reviewing this title, I was so into Star Fox back in the day. I wasn't crazy about the Virtual Console edition simply because one couldn't save from world to world and I just don't have all day to play from one end to the other.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2011 3:49:26 PM PDT
T. Hill says:
Yeah, the save feature is the cherry on top of the great enhancements this game received. I have to admit though, when I first played this 3DS version, I beat it all in one sitting, lol. It's really addictive.

Posted on Sep 18, 2011 5:51:08 PM PDT
Kathy Jenema says:
i totally agree with the "warning" label in the first paragraph. And so what if there isn't any online play? It was and still is one of the best video games ever made.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 6:44:56 PM PDT
T. Hill says:
@ Kathy, I couldn't agree more. It doesn't need online play, but seeing how pervasive online is in the video game industry these days, it does stick out when a game doesn't have it. It's a little less surprising coming from Nintendo though. Star Fox doesn't need it to be great, which is why I still gave it 5-star and only mentioned multiplayer for full disclosure's sake in my review. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2011 11:13:15 PM PDT
I totally agree, Nintendo is failing hardcore. The technology is there and its good, they are riding their own coat tails (if that makes any sense) but sooner or later their market share will dwindle and they will have no choice. Online games and upgradeable content is king and it is only going to get better with time.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2011 5:23:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2011 5:23:54 PM PDT
T. Hill says:
I sure hope not. The day Nintendo starts catering to share holders who want Mario, Samus, Link, and Kirby to mainly star in iPhone/online-multiplayer games is the day I hang my controller up for good.

The day games totally go the way you describe, I'll hang up my controller. These are the same predictions I've heard fat cats in fatter suits proclaiming that soon there will be no more single-player campaigns. What sort of dystopia would that be?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (179 customer reviews)

$46.94