Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars Comments Actually Pertaining to this Specific TV Model, April 19, 2012
This review is from: LG 42CS570 42-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV (2012 Model) (Electronics)
I decided to buy LG's (well-reviewed) 42LK520 at the exact time it was discontinued and no longer available. That's what I get for procrastinating. The replacement for 2011's 42LK520 is 2012's 42CS570. On paper, the basic specifications are almost the same as the 42LK520. Since new-model reviews aren't available yet, I had no reason to not get the 42CS570 given the similarities.

The owner's manual available from LG's support website details the inputs, outputs, and menu options available on the TV. The manual appears to be accurate and only covers the 42CS570 and 47CS570 models (ie - not too much "depends on model" content). Specifications are finally up on LG's product page, though they still have some errors. For instance, they only list one rear AV input. In fact, there is also a second, side AV input.

The 42CS570 is a 42-inch, 1080P, 120Hz, LCD TV listed for $699.99. The screen has a 16:9 aspect ratio and a 150,000:1 contrast ratio. On the rear panel, there are 2 HDMI, 2 Component, 1 AV (Composite), 1 RGB (PC), 1 Antenna / Cable (RF), and 1 Audio (RGB / DVI) inputs, with 1 Optical Audio output. On the side panel, there are: 1 USB, 1 HDMI, and 1 AV (Composite) inputs, with 1 Headphone Audio output. The channel, volume, and other controls are touch-sensitive areas on the front of the TV.

The TruMotion menu option has two components: De-Judder and De-Blur. Both components take a value between 0 and 10. There are three pre-set options: Off (0, 0), Low (3, 3), High (7, 7). A fourth option, User, allows for either component to be set to preference. The TV comes with a power-saving / screen-dimming feature turned On. At night, I actually thought this was sort of nice. During the day I turned the feature Off. Otherwise, I thought the picture settings out-of-the-box were actually pretty good. Setup was quick and easy.

According to an online source, the TV (like LG's other 1080P models) has only IPS panels. My TV has the following product code: 42CS570-UD-AUSYLUR. Other online sources stated that the "Y" in the 4th-from-right position indicates an IPS panel.

The shipping dimensions (W x H x D) are roughly: 48 inches x 30 inches x 6 inches.

I replaced an old 32-inch Panasonic CRT TV. So, obviously this LG HD TV is a noticeable upgrade. That said, I can't really comment on how the screen or engine compares to other HD TVs. I'm receiving over-the-air HD channels through a cheap, GE indoor antenna I've had for years, similar to the 24731. I have my Wii connected through a Monoprice Composite cable. Through a Monoprice HDMI cable, I'm running a Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu-ray player I purchased for Blu-ray content, streaming content, and miscellaneous content I have on my Synology DS211J NAS acting as a DLNA server. Just for giggles, I also ran a 25-foot Monoprice VGA cable (with audio) from my laptop to the TV. Everything works as well as expected. Picture is great for all uses. Sound is good as well. With realistic expectations, I haven't run into anything to complain about yet.

If you have other hardware to handle "smart" services, or just don't care for those services, and don't care to be on the cutting edge of 3D and LED panels, this is an ideal TV. As a 1080P, 120Hz TV with a good set of inputs, this is a quality HD TV that lists for $100 less than last year's nearly identical model.

Obviously, I can't comment on the device's longevity. I've run plenty of test scenarios, but I've only had it for a few days. Time will tell. Advertised warranty is 1 year parts, 1 year labor.

For the record, I wanted nothing to do with 3D. I had to consider screen glare. I felt a 42-inch TV best fit my living room layout and I had a budget to meet. For my budget, I preferred 120Hz LCD over 60Hz LED-LCD and I preferred 1080P LCD over 720P plasma. Compare to other 42-inch LG models for price and features.

42LM6200 = 42-inch, 3D, 1080P, 120Hz, Smart, LED-LCD TV listed for $1,299.99
42LM5800 = 42-inch, 3D, 1080P, 120Hz, LED-LCD (not yet available)
42LS5700 = 42-inch, 1080P, 120Hz, Smart, LED-LCD TV listed for $1,099.99
42LS3400 = 42-inch, 1080P, 60Hz, LED-LCD TV listed for $719.99
42CS560 = 42-inch, 1080P, 60Hz, LCD TV listed for $629.99
42PM4700 = 42-inch, 3D, 720P, 600Hz, Smart, plasma TV listed for $699.99
42PA4500 = 42-inch, 720P, 600Hz, plasma TV listed for $549.99

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 20, 2012 12:53:09 PM PDT
henrob says:
Thanks for this appropriate and detailed review. I waited too long for last year's model and hope to purchase the 47" version of this LG sometime this year.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 12:23:48 PM PDT
I waited too long to buy last years model also. Seems like a rip off that this one is selling for 799.00 when the previous model was selling for 649.00. It seems like all the manufacturers are unrealistic in their pricing for the new models. Guess we have to wait till Oct-Nov or for a promotion to get a deal on these.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 2:04:48 PM PDT
W says:
The list price for last year's model (42LK520) was $799.99, the list price for this year's model (42CS570) is $699.99. Those are just list prices. I'm sure last year's model went through various sales, just as this year's model will. Pretty much everywhere I've looked, this year's model was on sale for $649.99 where available. I just didn't put any sale prices in my review, as they are subject to change.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 5:58:23 PM PDT
The 47 inch model (47LK520) was on sale for 649 for the last month or so of the model year with free shipping in Amazon Prime. I had it in the cart and then they were out. Later, it was available again and I hesitated for one day. Once again - gone. But as you say this and the other models will come on sale. Right now I have been following the 47LM6700 for $1299. Frys has had in on sale in store for $899 one week and $999 another. Adorama is selling for $1099 with free shipping. All of this is just a game of watching and waiting.

Posted on May 13, 2012 9:50:04 PM PDT
deedas says:
Thanks for the awesome review, W. Just a few questions. You say there's a headphone jack but I don't see it listed in the specs. I just wanted to make sure it has one. Also, when you're listening on headphones and press mute on the remote control, does it mute the volume on the headphones? I'm returning the Insignia TV I just bought because it doesn't allow me to do this for some reason. Finally, can you view video files through the USB connection or just pictures? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 9:20:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2012 9:28:43 PM PDT
W says:
Yes, there definitely is a side headphone jack. Yes, pressing the Mute button mutes the headphones.

The TV will play video, music, and images through the USB connection. For a quick test, I can verify that it played an AVI video file, it displayed a JPG image file, and it played an MP3 audio file. I cannot vouch for everything listed in the owner's manual, but it lists off the following supported file types:

Video - MPG, MPEG, DAT, TS, TRP, TP, VOD, MP4, MOV, MKV, DivX, AVI, Motion JPEG (AVI, MP4, MKV), ASF, WMV, FLV

Image - JPG

Audio - MP3

If this feature is going to be a significant factor in your buying decision, please review the "Entertainment" chapter, pages 29 through 39, in the owner's manual (available for free as a PDF from LG's support site). There appear to be many details to this feature which may or may not affect you.

For instance, the "recommended capacity for a USB external hard disk is 1 TB or less and for a USB storage device is 32 GB or less". And, "use only USB storage devices that are formatted as a FAT 32 or NTFS file system". And, "the TV cannot play a video file whose size is larger than 30 GB". There are 3 pages of bullet-points covering the known requirements (including supported subtitle file types, file name limitations, etc.) for video file play back through the USB connection.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 11:11:14 AM PDT
deedas says:
Thanks for the detailed reply, W. I'll definitely be getting this one as it seems to serve all my needs.

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 8:25:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 7:25:54 AM PDT
jmthomp07 says:
Nice review. I got LG 42LV4400. It's the same specs except it's LED-LCD. I don't like my 42LV4400 because the trumotion feature doesn't allow full control. You can't really notice the soap opera effect at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 10:49:48 PM PDT
J.L.H. says:
Just in case you still have your 32" panasonic crt hanging around, would you mind comparing their on board sound quality? Need a sound system to make the lg sound as good as your old tv?

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 4:34:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 9, 2012 4:35:19 PM PDT
CMAC says:
I question if it is really an IPS panel. Apparently you can tell by pressing lightly on the screen. If it turns white it is not IPS. Any chance we can get you to test this theory out?

Extremely helpful review btw. I might buy this TV if i could verify it is IPS. the one i checked at BB was not IPS but i didn't get the model number to verify....
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›