5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy to make into pizza for one!, June 4, 2010
This review is from: Namaste Foods, Sugar Free Gluten Free Pizza Crust Mix, 16-Ounce Bags (Pack of 6) (Grocery)
This is the best pizza crust mix we've tried for a corn-, wheat-, soy-free diet. I modify the mix, though, so I can make multiple individual crusts, fresh, over a period of time. I've been using this ratio for over a year:
3/4c. dry mix
5/8c. water (1/2c+2T., but I just eyeball it in a 2c Pyrex glass measuring cup)
1/2t. oil
I do follow the mixing instructions -- about 15-30 seconds on low to get it all wet, quickly scrape the bowl with a spatula, then on a med/med-high speed for 3min. It looks rather like cake batter when you're done mixing. Then I pour it out on a silicone baking mat that's placed on a cookie sheet (or you can just use foil on a cookie sheet and spray the foil with oil), spreading it around in a circle of even thickness, about 10" in diameter (the spatula works great for spreading). Bake in a preheated oven at 450 (yes, 450) for 15-20m, remove and add sauce and other desired toppings, then bake another 8-10m. Depending on one's appetite, this makes enough for 1-2 meals for 1 person. Super yummy! Each bag makes maybe 4-5 crusts of this size, if I recall correctly. You may have to slightly modify the water or time based on your preferences, but I've made at least 1 a week like this for over a year and it works great for us! Once you get the hang of the routine and spreading out the "batter" the prep time is mostly the 3m of mixing.

We've also tried Bob's Red Mill Pizza Crust Mix, 16-Ounce (Pack of 4) -- a good tasting crust, but this one is faster (no rising time for the yeast), and super easy to scale down to individual size as there is no yeast packet. Plus, I prefer the seasoning in this Namaste crust.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 22, 2011 3:00:22 PM PDT
We have used Namaste Foods Gluten Free Pizza Crust MixNamaste Foods, Gluten Free Pizza Crust Mix, 16-Ounce Bags (Pack of 6)
We found it to be easy to use. Liked the oregano already in the mix, but added more of our own for more flavor.
We also tried Bob's Red Mill Pizza Crust with the yeast packet, and while it was easy to mix, we found it tasted too bready. There was no oregano in this product, so we found it to be bland.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 10:32:38 AM PST
Jonny says:
Thanks for this recipe!
I used it exactly as your outlined it (so weird that a cake batter consistency comes out like a perfect pizza crust) and it came out great.
I might add a bit of salt to the flour mix as it tasted slightly bland IMO.
But overall a great experience based on your great recommendations.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:16:53 PM PST
SisterZ says:
Thanks for posting -- glad to hear it was helpful to you! :)

Posted on Aug 14, 2013 6:56:07 PM PDT
Dave says:
Thanks, I tried this and it tasted great! (3/4c mix, 5/8c water, 1/2t oil) Mine puffed out like 3" or so thick while cooking, so when I took it out after doing just the crust for 8 minutes, I smashed it down.

My only complaint would have to be that the crust doesn't turn brown - it's a little weird eating a white crust (looks uncooked), but the taste is so good I didn't even care. I tried adding some olive oil to the crust without luck, but I'll try brushing on some egg whites next time and see how that turns out. I've been going to Domino's to get my Gluten-Free pizza fix, not anymore! This stuff is terrific, plus no rise time!

Posted on Aug 25, 2013 11:51:03 AM PDT
Dave says:
Based on your review, I also tried out a silicon baking mat and it works GREAT! This dough doesn't stick at all to it. It was very easy to pry off vs. just doing it directly on a metal pan, where the middle would get glued to the pan no matter how much oil or spray I loaded it up with. Thank you for the tip!

I've also found that Daiya cheese goes pretty well with it; the only change I make is broiling it for about a minute and a half at the end to get the fake cheese a little brown & bubbly before it comes out. Excellent! So glad to have found a GF/DF/CF pizza worth eating! My 6-pack of pizza mix just arrived, and using the individual-sized recipe you posted, that works out to about a buck and a half per pizza crust, far more economical than any other pizza I've found to date.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 10:16:28 PM PDT
SisterZ says:
Wonderful, Dave! I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed the results. And thanks for the tip about the Daiya cheese!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›