5.0 out of 5 stars How I Decided Between PSP GO and PSP 3000, August 15, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PlayStation Portable 3000 Core Pack System - Piano Black (Video Game)
I've spent the last few weeks doing some research on which to buy, and finally caved and bought a PSP GO. I ended up returning it and buying the PSP 3000, and here's why:

1. Physical comfort.

I'll admit it, I'm a sucker for things that are new and look cool (sometimes at the cost of utility.) Plus, things that slide are undoubtedly awesome. Sony knew that when they made the GO. The problem is the "cool" and "new" factors are outweighed by the smaller screen and compressed controls. Also, I thought it would be better having the controls on the bottom wh en gaming, and have a less distracting view when watching movies since the buttons would be hidden, but I was wrong. The buttons on the side are far more comfortable, convenient, and surprisingly natural. The bigger screen actually does make a difference, and the L and R buttons just feel more natural this way.

One thing to note about the screens (both have the same resolution):

They're good, but not great. The problem is we're spoiled now. If you have a smartphone (which if you don't, I feel like I don't even know you,) you'll be disappointed when you see some things on the screen that are just so clearly pixelated. I'm going to post a video review in a bit and you'll see what I'm talking about.

2. Digital games vs. UMD (the names of the physical discs that the 3000 uses.)

For those who don't know, the PSP GO uses digital games exclusively. There are no physical discs. You download games from the Playstation Network store. It's convenient since you don't have to carry discs around, and you have immediate access to a huge selection.

The 3000 uses physical discs (UMD) as well as downloads. Now, carrying discs around is definitely a hassle (even though they're only about 2 inches by 2 inches), but the benefit is that you can buy used discs for very cheap, an option not available with the digital only GO.

***IMPORTANT TIP***

At GameStop, you can buy used PSP UMDs for cheap, and they have a great return policy. For any reason, you can return any used game within 7 days for a full refund, to any GameStop in the country. If you don't have your receipt, you have to return it to the location where you bought it.

***/IMPORTANT TIP***

3. Price

This is often overlooked but I think very important. The retail price for the GO is $250, which is pretty crazy given that you can often find a PS3 for $250, or at worst, $300. Given that you can get a full system for 20% more, it's hard to justify spending that much for considerably less functionality.

Now on Amazon you can get the GO go for $200, plus tax and such leads to about $215. On NewEgg, you can get the PSP 3000 with Madden 11, free shipping and no tax for $170. So you'll end up paying at least $45 more, but for what?

You are really spending $45 more for no reason. And with this extra $45, comes the responsibility to spend even more on games that you buy directly from the PlayStation network as opposed to used UMDs.

4. Memory Stick

***IMPORTANT TIP***

If you do decide to get a GO, it uses something called the M2. If you buy it from Amazon, you get a 4GB for $15 and it comes with an adapter for the Memory Stick Duo:

If you buy a 3000, it uses the Memory Stick Duo, which if you buy by itself, a 4GB will run you ~$19:

I know it's only a matter for $4, but I thought that was interesting (I need to get out more) and worth mentioning.

***/IMPORTANT TIP***

5. Fun level

They're both freaking fun. Sony knows what they're doing, the games are great, the devices are both portable and easy to take around, and keep you entertained for hours. Either way, you'll love what you bought.

6. WRAP UP

I ended up with a 3000 and I'm happy with it. I couldn't justify spending nearly as much money as I would on a full system without getting much in return. And the ability to buy used games for considerably less was also hugely attractive. Finally, the better placement of the controls really won me over.

Enjoy!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 29, 2010 8:04:49 PM PDT
Nate-Train says:
Thanks! That really helped me decide on the 3000. Especially the part about digital downloads. I want to own the physical game, I'm just old fashioned. Plus the comfort. I bought a GBA SP because it was new and shiny and back-lit... but horribly uncomfortable to play with my large hands.

Good review!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2010 10:05:37 AM PDT
E. Agarwal says:
Thanks, glad it was helpful!

Posted on Sep 16, 2011 4:16:23 AM PDT
Mobols says:
I have sought for exclusive reviews like this, it is just way too helpful to me. Thank you for your review. I love the 3000 with a passion even without buying it yet. Thanks once again.

Olagunju Paul
Nigeria.

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 7:19:54 PM PST
bittyhank says:
Thanks so much for posting this! I am CLUELESS as to this stuff, and have one 17 year old teenager who is an exchange student living with us -- wanted to find something for him that would be his "big" Christmas gift, something he could use while he's living with us, portable for when he's having downtime at the house, and that he can take back with him when he returns to his home country....he loves gadgets and games, but I can't justify buying a big system for him like I would my own son. I had no idea where to start....hopefully this 17 year old will like it....

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2013 9:15:31 AM PDT
David (MCD) says:
I've never had the 3000 model, I have, however, had the original, 2000 (slim) and the go model. To me, the Go was heavy, and somewhat awkward to operate. Plus with model couldn't be permanently soft-modded. And to make matters worse with the go, the screen size was nearly half the size of all the others. The slim one, though longer than the go, seemed much lighter, and much more durable as well. Plus replacement parts were cheap to come by.

The thing that I haven't brought up yet is charging options, specifically in a car. The original, 2000 and 3000 all used the same port, as well as voltage. So charging these was always a pleasure. However, the go model, it took me 2 years to finally find a charging cable for it. For a product that was specifically made to be used on the "go", it seemed unlikely at first. Granted, the built-in battery could hold a charge for a long time, the games do tend to be power hungry at times, and god help if you want to watch a movie.

This is all not to say that the go was a decent gaming system, it just got left behind by the market around it.

Posted on Sep 12, 2013 11:55:27 AM PDT
Brian says:
Why would you "know me" on the basis of me owning a smartphone or not?

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 5:23:35 PM PDT
Pirate Wench says:
I always read reviews on Amazon for help when buying any product and it has served me VERY well. I haven't had anyone to buy a game system for for MANY years but now I find myself in a situation where I need to ask a question. My daughter bought this psp 3000 for my Granddaughter and I wanted to be the cool 'Noni' and offered to buy games and accessories. I am used to...dare I say it ? the older boxy Nintendo and systems like that. I know, you are cringing in your seat. In particular she wants the Dangan-Ronpa game from Japan. My question is this, are all games compatible on the psp3000? I want her gift to be a pleasure not a granny nightmare. I will take your advice about the Memory Duo Stick however because when I asked my daughter, 'did she buy one?' she said 'for what?' SO, I shall be the cool granny if I can provide games and accessories, with your help? LOVED your review
‹ Previous 1 Next ›