1.0 out of 5 stars Save yourself some heartache . . ., October 14, 2012
This review is from: SquareTrade 4-Year Computer Protection Plan ($1000-$1250) (Personal Computers)
Do yourself a HUGE favor and forego this. IF you are buying a computer here or anywhere, such as I did, go to the mfg and buy THEIR extended warranty. There are so many fine print "cracks" to this "Square Trade" that I am fed up. It seems that every time I cantact these people, first it is a dance to get them to be responsive, then I am told that each warranty issue is taken from the price of your computer until you may have a warranty left, but no funds in it to use. So one debates even using this or just putting up with the problem. That makes no sense to me. If one has had that many issues with their computer, then they (the warranty people) SHOULD replace it. They SHOULD ALSO inform people how their so-called "warranty" REALLY works AHEAD OF TIME. Each time you have an issue and they need to honor the warranty, they tick off those charges and costs against the original cost of your computer, until you deplete them up to the cost, then - - like I said and as it was explained to me - - you stil have a warranty for the length of time you purchased, but no funds to use it, so (IMHO) your warranty is all but useless.

To me a warranty is a warranty and they do not deplete the costs until they eat up the amt of your product cost and then you are up a creek. I thought, "great, four years of coverage and no worries" -- not true!

PLEASE, PLEASE just call the mfg of your computer and get their extended warranty. Save the frustration and headaches, and be good to yourself and your computer. Protect yourself from (IMHO) this kind of chicanery, easy manipulation and, again - - in my opinion, masquerade of a supposedly helpful product. I admit, I was vulnerable to this and now I will try to dissuade anyone from being taken advantage of, such as I feel. We paid a lot of money for this, and I am tired of the dances, fights, fears and "negotiations" when I try to access my "warranty."

If only. . . . .

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 16, 2013 11:28:19 AM PDT
Now I must admit that I stand corrected. Despite all my sniping about smaller issues, which I still think they could handle MUCH better, I have to say that they are coming through when it is a HUGE problem. My computer died a week or so ago. After some grumbling and assumptions to the negative, I called Sq trade. They immediately were sensitive, assured me I was covered and set up assistance. They arranged a tech, got me a new HD, etc. The tech came out and after he left I encountered another problem, so I called Sq Trade for help. They are scheduling a "Rework" for this tech (very nice man) to come back and assist me. I asked them if I now needed to buy a new warranty and was told "No," that I am still covered "less than what this cost." (This was the kind of comment that has caused such dismay at this warranty program, however, given their gigantic rescue I feel a bit less disconcerted.) I feel I owe then at least a reconsideration given their handling of this MAJOR trauma. Now we'll see. It just may be worth purchasing this program, although I would still advocate for buying your extended warranty plans from the mfg., but if that's not possible, then I would definately go for Square Trade.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2015 8:02:53 AM PST
Andrew says:
I think in fairness to the vendor, you should probably revise your rating. I almost didn't buy this product because of your review, then happened to click the comment. Glad I did :) Also glad the warranty seemed to work out!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2015 10:46:54 AM PST
No, the warranty didn't work out. They kept giving me numbers to call that went nowhere, meanwhile my computer died and I had to buy a new one - - and without their warranty. Seems the best extended warranties are from the manufacturer. I would not revise my comment other than to further say how dissatisfied I was. For my money, I feel I was duped, sweet talked, buck-passed and generally shined on and dismissed with no one bothering to live up to what they sold me. I hope you have a better experience, but I would NOT recommend this waste of money to anyone. I wish you well.

Posted on Mar 20, 2015 7:51:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2015 7:52:00 PM PDT
Funny you say that, since the manufacturers will play games with you. They will probably tell you that the problem will not be covered by their warranty and will either charge you exorbitant amount of money to fix it or tell you to buy a newer product of their brand because they "are no longer able to" fix the issue.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›