4.0 out of 5 stars After One Year, June 5, 2009
This review is from: Char-Broil TRU 4-Burner TRU Infrared Gas Grill (Lawn & Patio)
Well, I have owned the four burner Quantum for one year now. I purchased it at Lowes for $450.00 It's held up well, however, some shock adjustment was necessary, especially after the first few rains that it survived. It's kept covered, so I was in shock to see that the grates completely rusted after about a month on non-use and a few rain storms. However, the rust was only superficial, and cleaned off easily. All of the other exterior stainless steel does indeed stain if not kept relatively clean. Also, keep in mind that the tops of the side work tables and the cabinet base are not stainless steel, just painted with silver paint. While those surfaces have not rusted, any grease splatter left on the paint will permanently stain it. The thermometer on the hood was immediately rendered mostly useless by overnight dew after one nice summer night that the grill was not covered up. It still registers the last 1/3rd of the scale, but it's stuck 2/3rds of the way. Much of the silkscreened black printing, especially the safety instructions, on the bullnose of the grill have started to wipe off. There is some slight pitting of the chrome handle mounts on the lid, but no actual rust.

Regarding the performance. I almost NEVER clean the grates. It performs well even with stuff on the perforated infrared panel. I normally just preheat the grill for about 15 to 20 minutes, and most of what ever was previously there turns to ash. It still sears steaks beautifully after one year.

I made sure to contact Char-Broil within the warranty period to get replacement parts for ALL of the grates, the thermometer, and the lid handle. I should have also asked for a bullnose with readable silkscreening. So far the gill has performed very well. With regular cleaning and maintenance, the original grates will probably not rust through if they are regularly used. If the grill is not regularly used, the grates, and firebox will quickly rust away, probably within three to four years. However, with replacement parts, this grill should be serviceable for at least five to seven years. And, it will probably look reasonably good after that time.

It's not a "high-end" multi thousand dollar Stainless Steel grill that will become a family heirloom. For the $450 that I paid, including the in-warranty replacement parts received, it should last a reasonable amount of time, while still having the clean appearance of a Stainless Steel grill! But most importantly, it really does perform just as well as the multi thousand dollar grills. I have used Viking, DCS, Dynasty, and Ducane grills and this Char-Broil can do anything they can, (but it reaches searing temperature much faster and with better results)!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 22, 2009 10:09:09 AM PDT
Drew Mc says:
Curious as to what sort of defect you found with the grates?

Posted on Jul 14, 2009 4:03:29 PM PDT
Max H. Ray says:
"I Have Been Using This Infrared Grill Since 6-08..I Converted It To Natural Gas..It Replaced A Commercial Series Stainless Grill That Lasted Maybe 2 Years Before The Fire Box Components Burned Or Rusted Out!! I Complained To Char-Broil To No Avail!! I Complained To Lowe's And They Gave Me A Full Credit!!!
Folks, As Long As These Grills Are Made In CHINA, They Will NEVER Be Worth A "Tinkers" Dam!! This Quantum Infrared Is Less Than 2 Months Old..Guess What? That Wonderful Stainless Quantum Cooking System!? It's Anything But STAINLESS!! The Grates And Everything In The Fire Box Has Started To Dis-Colour..It Now Looks Like A "Putrid" Brownish Colour..I Can "See' This System
Rotting Out In Less Than 2 Years..I Did Buy The Lowe's 3 Year Replacement Warranty With The Grill..Simply Because
I Know What To Expect In 2 Years Or Less!! I Will Simply Pick Up A New Grill Every 2 Years Or Less!!
For The Cooking Part, The Grill Has Seperate Temp Gages
For Each Burner Right At The Grill Level Where You Place Your Meat And They Will Climb To 700 Degrees With Lid Closed On HIGH! It Does A Nice Job Of SEARING The Meat With The Desireable Marks On Each Side Of The Meat..As For The "Juicy-Ness" Of The Meat?? I Think This Is A "Marketing" Ploy By The MFG. To Sell More Grills..Its A Different Concept On Gas Grills & I Thought I Would Try One..Yes I Did Add The Hickory Chips On The Last Grilling Of Steak & We Could Detect A "Faint" Hickory Flavor..I Think If You Add Your Favorite Chips At The Time You Place Your Meat On The Grill It Will Work Out A Little Better! Will I Re Place It With Another Infrared Down The Road? Probably Not! Good Luck In Your Decision!" Mine Is The 4 Burner Model # 463247209 Lowe's $356 Assembled Less 10% For Floor Sample..It Also Has The Side Burner! Too Bad We Don't Have A Place To Post Pics..If You Want Pics To See What It Looks Like After 2 Months Use kf4zzy@yahoo.com

Posted on May 2, 2011 3:31:38 PM PDT
Could you let us know how well this grill has held up in 2011? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2011 6:55:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2011 7:12:10 AM PDT
Shopper says:
It's May 3, 2011, and I just used my Quantum to grill last night's very un-fancy dinner... Hot Dogs!

It appears that most of the corrosion that I experienced with the grates did occur within the first few rains, as noted in my first review in 2009. Since then, Char-Broil has very methodically added detailed instructions for "seasoning" the grates on all of it's Quantum grills before use, and regularly thereafter. I have kept my original grates seasoned with vegetable oil sprayed on with a Misto oil sprayer between uses, and it's holding up really well.

The lid handle on my original Quantum has big and heavy chrome-plated castings on each end of the lid handle bar. The only significant wear that is visible on the exterior of the grill is some pitting of the chrome on those castings. The newer Quantum grill lids and handles have been redesigned since then and now have stainless steel parts. All of the interior parts, firebox and burners, are just like new.

I can see this grill lasting for many more years than I originally gave it credit for. At some point if the chrome pitting becomes unsightly I may order new castings for the lid handle from Char-Broil, (or have the originals re-plated).

WOW, I just went back and read the other more recent Amazon reviews. I am very surprised that every other experience has been so bad. I may have one of the only "good" grills. Mine is still in service and still fully functional. It's been kept outdoors, and uncovered about 45% of the time.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2011 9:03:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 1, 2011 8:32:40 AM PDT
Thanks for the update and for providing us with all the useful details.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2011 10:36:09 AM PDT
Max H. Ray says:
I got rid of mine..started rusting out on the inside after 3-4 months..even though i kept it covered..what a piece of "garbage" Lowe's gave me a complete refund and I bought the genesis natural gas grill by webber..totally satisfied, plus I made $70 on the deal!

Posted on May 31, 2011 9:20:29 PM PDT
Nana says:
We just bought our infrared grill 3 weeks ago and so far we like it. It does take a bit more maintenance than a regular gas grill, but we really like not having the flare up as we did with the traditional gas grill. I am dissappointed that the pretty stainless steel grates are severely discolored- but that is minor cosmetic issue. I clean the outside stainless steel just like I clean my inside stainless steel appliances- which take a bit more maintenance that conventional appliances. We have liked how it has cooked our steaks and it is awesome that our hamburgers dont shrink like they used too. We will probably keep this grill since it was a warranty replacement from my other grill which was a traditional gas grill. I agree I was surprised to see that others have had such a bad review with this product, we must have a "good grill". We bought ours at Sears.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2013 7:02:35 AM PDT
Mark says:
I am sure by now you have realized that the "pretty stainless steel grates" are not stainless steel. Just mild steel that is completely susceptible to rusting through.

Posted on Apr 7, 2014 2:43:02 PM PDT
Greg says:
Same issue with the rusting grates - and Char broil didn't do much to stand behind their product - offered me a 15% discount on the $160 replacement grates.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›