Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Replaced my Brown 8595 after extensive testing, May 1, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic ES-LT71-S, Arc3 Electric Razor, Men's 3-Blade Cordless with Wet/Dry Convenience, Automatic Premium Clean & Charge Station Included (Health and Beauty)
After the battery of my Brown 8595 started to fail after 10 years I was in the market for a new electric shaver. I wanted a washable razor, which now almost all seem to be. I tried the Philips Norelco 1150x/40 SensoTouch 2d Electric Shaver, Metallic Blue, the Panasonic ES-LA63-S Men's 4-Blade (Arc 4) Multi-Flex Dual-Motor Wet/Dry Rechargeable Electric Shaver with Nanotech Blades, Silver, the Panasonic ES-LT71-S Men's 3-Blade(Arc 3) Wet/Dry Nanotech Rechargeable Electric Shaver with Vortex Cleaning System, Silver and the Braun Series 7- 790cc Pulsonic Shaver System, Silver.
The Norelco had by far the roughest and least close shave for me. Maybe it works well for some beards and longer hair, but it didn't for me.
I really wanted to like the new Braun shaver. I had been very happy with my old Braun, the only downside for me being its tedious cleaning: one couldn't use water, had to use a brush or the Braun cleaning system, but their alcohol based solution evaporates rather quickly. I only used it about once every 2 weeks and closed the container again, it then would last 6 months. The new Braun can be washed with water and soap like all the other new shavers. I was disappointed though that the Braun 790 didn't seem to shave quite as close as my old Braun. Their blade and foil is one piece now, which I thought might improve the closeness of the shave, but it didn't. I liked the feel and built quality of the Braun a lot, but after I tried the Panasonic shavers, I couldn't justify anymore spending twice as much for the Braun for a less close shave.
I was immediately impressed by both Panasonic shavers I tried. The LA63 is a newer model but uses the same blades as the LT71. The blades are wider spaced in the LA63 and the foil head is deeper as it has two floating foils (to straighten hair?) in between the two foils that cover the blades. The LT71 has only one such intermediate foil. I could however not detect any difference in closeness of shave, both are excellent and better than my old and the new Braun I tried. The LT71 was cheaper, so the LT71 it was.
In retrospect I might consider buying the Panasonic ES-LT41-K Men's 3-Blade (Arc 3) Wet/Dry Rechargeable Electric Shaver with Nanotech Blades, Black/Silver and save $20. It is identical to the LT71 except it has no cleaning device. This device seems unnecessary, though. Cleaning under running water, and if necessary adding some soap, cleans the shaver to a like new condition.
The LT41 and LT71 seem to replace the Panasonic ES8103S Men's 3-Blade (Arc 3) Wet/Dry Rechargeable Electric Shaver with Nanotech Blades, Silver and Panasonic ES8109S Men's 3-Blade (Arc 3) Wet/Dry Nanotech Rechargeable Electric Shaver with Vortex Cleaning System, Silver. You might want to check out their reviews too.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 2, 2012 10:29:50 AM PDT
I have to agree with you on the old Braun shavers. I have a Braun 7526 which I bought back 1996 - 1997. I love this shaver as it shaves very close and it shaved closer than an actual blade for me without all the cuts. Anyway, when my brother was looking for a new shaver I recommended the Braun shavers for him as I told mine shaved very close. He bought the 8000 series and hated it as he stated it didn't cut very well. He than bought a Panasonic and loved it. I did a little research and found out ever since Gillette was bought out by PG, the shavers hasn't been the same. I'm now in the market for a new shaver and I didn't even look at a Braun. I bought the Panasonic ES-LT71-S, on sale for only $80 as of this writing, so hopefully it'll be just as good as my old Braun. My Braun 7526 still works great but I'm tired of buying the cleaning solution as it doesn't last very long.

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 7:21:03 AM PDT
Jbdave says:
How do you try out all these different shavers?!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 4:13:35 AM PST
Derbydano says:
Sounds like they were purchased, used, and returned just for someone's amusement. Gross. Not against the law, but wrong just the same.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 7:00:32 AM PST
JABOJR says:
This sounds like a commercial for Panasonic. Ask yourself, who could spend all the money to test all the razors.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 7:22:31 AM PST
M says:
Someone who is searching for a good razor and keeps getting disappointed by the crap that passes for Braun, these days.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 6:33:21 AM PST
All you guys that are doubting this man or thinking that it's "gross" to test something that is very intimate when it comes to hygiene obviously never heard of things like consumer reports, product testers, etc. Not saying that that is what he is .... just bringing up that point.

I for one want to thank the man for all he's done on a rather thorough review of a device that is very important in MANY a man's life. He didn't outright trash the other products like Braun and Norelco but stated that, "Maybe it works well for some beards and longer hair, but it didn't for me. I really wanted to like the new Braun shaver. I had been very happy with my old Braun ..." And even went on to advise those of us who still use the Brauns with the cleaning solution on how to make it last longer!

I for one appreciate the knowledge shared on how to save money on those refills that DO seem to evaporate quite quickly.

And for any who feel that I too work for Panasonic, for some reason or another, let me state that I have NO intention of giving up my Braun any time soon. I love it! But I am going to consider this Panasonic ES-LT71-S for my father for Christmas. He's been looking for a new electric shaver to replace his very old plug-in Norelco and this seems to be ideal.

Posted on Oct 1, 2013 4:08:12 PM PDT
J. Hill says:
They Panasonic ES-LT71-S Arc 3 Mens Electric Shaver with Cleaning System works good but there are somethings to consider. The last one was the ES-LT71 that we gave to my father-in-law and it had a battery failure at 13-months. It can only be replaced at a Panasonic repair center, don't know the cost. The cutter foil got a small hole in it somehow and it needed to be replaced, no idea what they cost At 13 months the cutter probabley needed to be replaced and the soap cartridge ($12.00 each)needed replacing. The owners manual says to replace the soap every six months along with performing an extensive cleaning of the automatic washer bowl. Long story shot. Rather then sending it in for repair we just bought him a new one. Except that the soap cartridge is larger it (the -S) looks like the previous model.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2013 8:39:01 AM PDT
M says:
John Frederick Hill, the parts to which you refer are considered consumable and could be found online. Have you looked? Regarding the cleaning cartridge, the user manual provides instructions for how to clean without it. It's not a difficult procedure, but it's definitely not "set and forget".
‹ Previous 1 Next ›