5.0 out of 5 stars You buy "The Chosen Collection" so your kids will leave your "BtVS" DVDs alone, November 20, 2005
This review is from: Buffy the Vampire Slayer - The Complete Series (Seasons 1-7) (2010) 39 Disc (DVD)
My premise here is that by the time all seven seasons of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" were released on DVD the vast majority of fans who were inclined to do so had gone out and bought all seven sets. I am sure there are a few frugal fans who were waiting for something along the lines of "The Chosen Collection," but they would be relatively aware (something akin to being a vampire with a soul). Of course I had all of the episodes of "BtVS" (and "Angel") on video tape (even made up my own special boxes with cover art and episode synopses on the back) before I went out and bought all of the DVD sets, but I had occasion to buy "The Chosen Collection" as well.

That is because my oldest daughter is away at college and she was not allowed to take my "BtVS" DVD sets with her. I had purchased the first season for all three of my kids (two are away at college so it is not like they are all in one place) and was intending to eventually get them the other six but "The Chosen Collection" is too good of a deal to pass up and not just because of the price. This one big red and white box takes up a lot less space (a bit more than a third). That is because when you open it up inside you will find wallet-like cases for each of the seven seasons. So it seemed an appropriate gift for someone turning 21 who writes about Buffy whenever possible in her college classes.

I have covered each of the seven season of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" elsewhere, so here I want to talk about the "EXCLUSIVE, NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN EXTRAS" included on the 40th DVD in "The Chosen Collection" (Yes, the other 39 discs are the same produced for the individual series sets):

"Back to the Hellmouth: A Conversation with Creators and Cast" is a casual 54-minute conversation amidst candles and old books with Whedon, Marti Noxon, Doug Petrie, Nicholas Brendon, Emma Caulfield, Danny Strong, David Fury, Jane Espenson, Charisma Carpenter, Drew Z. Greenberg. Topics covered include first Buffy moments (for Joss it all goes back to a scene in Invisible Girl), favorite Buffy moment, and assorted behind the scenes stories, all with choice inserts from episodes (e.g., Nick in a Speedo) and piano music. Noxon does a good job of getting off topic to interesting things (e.g., Joss writing the musical during his down time), but the fact that writers talk more than actors is hardly surprising. This is the best extra, what with finding out how Fury got Giles fired ends up getting Allyson Hannigan married and all, plus how being a mid-season replacement allowed Whedon to make the first twelve episodes before their aired so that the WB was denied the opportunity to tinker with the show. There is enough new stuff here for those who do not pick up this set to make friends with someone who has to check this out at least once.

"Buffy Cast and Crew: Favorite Episodes" is short and to the point, although the choices are basically made by those listed above with a few other additions. However, if you are waiting for Sarah Michelle Gellar to weigh in on any of these featurettes you will be totally disappointed. Hannigan only popped up once, which is not enough for me and I suspect many others as well, but cast members Amber Benson and Danny Strong both speak well for the series and David Greenwalt shows up as a key talking head as well.

"Buffy: An Unlikely Role Model" begins with Joss Whedon's explicit intention of creating a role model and has the cast and crew talking about why it actually worked (personal actions are key) without getting into ivory tower explanations.

"Breaking Barriers: It's Not a Chick Fight Thing" focuses on Buffy stunt double Sophia Crawford and Stunt Coordinator Jeff Pruitt and details how she got the gig (she had good kinetics according to Joss) and what they tried to do in terms of developing Buffy's martial arts fighting style, with some of Crawford's best fights (e.g., "Anne") caught by behind the scenes cameras. So you really get to see familiar things in a new way with this one.

"Love Bites: Relationships in the Buffyverse" looks at most of the major romantic entanglements as things went from metaphorical sex to the real thing for Buffy and her friends. Vampires are always rich in veiled sexuality and the show combined that with the imperative that teenagers need to be punished for sex (see "Friday the 13th," et al.). There are a few insightful comments from a few actors and writers on this featurette.

"Evil Fiends" is a brief look at not so much the individual Big Bads but rather at the philosophy on the show of turning teenage problems into tangible monsters. Nothing really new here and it is so short it hardly seemed worth including and ends the bonus disc on a weak note.

But then I am hardly arguing that this one disc justifies picking up this set if you already have the complete "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," because it does not. I do think it is an ideal present to stop family and friends from always want to borrow your sets, although I can also see where you might decide to buy this one for yourself and let the kiddies (or whoever) take your old ones (I kept those but made sure I got to see the bonus disc, twice, before she takes it back to college). Of course, now the next generation of fans are going to want the "The Angel Collection."

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 14, 2008 10:01:27 PM PDT
Just wanted to say thanks for mentioning the DVD extras in your review - especially as some reviews neglect to mention them. It's what pretty much made me to decide to purchase my own copy of this collection.

Posted on Jul 8, 2008 9:46:35 PM PDT
M. Sanges says:
I second the thanks for this in-depth look at the bonus disc.

Posted on Jan 14, 2009 9:34:52 AM PST
Dead Hour says:
Thanks for the info on the bonus material, a local store has the individual sets on sale right now, and I'm trying to decide if I want to wait and buy this set or not, this review was a big help.

Posted on Jun 19, 2009 3:35:07 PM PDT
The vast majority of fans who were inclined to do so had gone out and bought all seven sets - I am one of those. Thank you for giving some great insight into the DVD extra. I was debating whether or not buy it, but I think I am happy with what I own. In the long run it would have been much cheaper to have waited, but being able to go ahead and enjoy the series was well worth the cost difference.

Posted on Dec 7, 2009 2:51:26 AM PST
jeri hurd says:
Thanks for the reviews. I (of course!) already own all the boxed sets for BtVS and Angel, but I'm moving oversease. Wouldn't DREAM of not taking my Buffy's with me; this would definitely take up less space. Question, however: Do the DVD's contain the original commentaries?

Posted on Dec 25, 2009 4:52:34 PM PST
Mariah Kemp says:
Although I was already pretty much sold on purchasing the collection, you have just pursuaded me to spend my money on this. I have been debating whether to buy a graphics tablet for my art or The Chosen Collection, and I believe this will give me more entertainment. So a HUGE "Thank YOU!"

I can't wait to start enjoying my favorite series, as I chose to wait a very long time before purchasing this.

Posted on Apr 2, 2010 3:57:34 PM PDT
rawrrr says:
u bought ur kids buffy dvds??? this is further proof buffy fans are far superior than all other people.

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 9:21:28 PM PDT
Cat says:
Best parent ever.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (857 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $47.27
Add to wishlist
Reviewer

Lawrance Bernabo
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (COMMUNITY FORUM 04)

Location: The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota