5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Straight From The Box, August 31, 2010
This review is from: Canon PowerShot SX130IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 12x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with 3.0-Inch LCD (Camera)
I first heard about the SX130is on August 19th- the same day I had decided that my final purchase decision would be the SX120is. After reading a few reviews, it had me convinced that this would be worth waiting for. I received my SX130is late this morning- and have to say, right from the box it was just amazing. Every time in the past when purchasing a new camera, it takes some adjusting and "breaking in" before fully great-quality pictures come, but with this one, literally from the first shot it has been wonderful. The HD video also records wonderfuly, and the sound is great as well- even with using all of the 48x digital zoom! The one "downside" to the video mode is that the image doesn't auto-focus as you zoom in, at times you have to re-focus using the shutter just as you normally would when taking a picture, but I personally didn't find that too annoying once I figured it out. The miniature and fisheye modes are a blast to use, and the smart-shutter mode (takes the photo when a smile is detected, without using the shutter) is neat too. The LCD is a nice big size, and has an auto-rotate for images in the playback mode, as well as an option to scroll through them when selecting. A fun fact which I also noticed is that it has a "screensaver," which displays the time to save the screen (as a computer would). Although some might consider it a bit "bulky" compared to most compact point and shoots, the size is perfect for someone like me who has bigger hands, allowing for a decent grip and non-clumsy hold. Overall, I just absolutely LOVE this camera (which I why I already give it 5 stars, hands down). Definitely recomend this to anyone; is well worth the money!

***Updated on 9/24***
After finally getting some Rayovac recharcable NiMH batteries, I can finally say that this camera is well worth the money. If you use regular AA (nonrechargeable) batteries, it will blow through them like crazy, so I learned the hard way. But the NiMH last much, much longer, plus are rechargeable. If you plan on purchasing this camera, I would highly recommend also getting the batteries- it is well worth the extra money.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 2, 2010 1:26:51 PM PDT
N. Pantoja says:
My camera came in today. I'm a little skeptical about the packaging though. It appears that it may have been used and returned. :( Plus there is no user guide. Did your camera come with a user guide? I have something called "Getting Started" but no manual as to how to use the camera. I've purchased Canon camera's in the past and have always gotten a User Guide as well. I may request an exchange if that's the case.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2010 8:41:48 AM PDT
I think Canon stopped including a paper manual for their P&S cameras. However, you should find a pdf manual on the CD it came up with.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2010 1:56:46 PM PDT
jtm says:
Yes, that is the only booklet that I received, although the CD does have quite a bit of different programs and whatnot on it; you may want to check some of them out. Haven't gotten the time to myself but it does look as though there is a lot on it.

I do have a question for you though- have you noticed anthing as far as battery life that is abnormal on your camera? Went out of town yesterday and shot 700 photos, but went through three sets of AAs! This seems extremely fast to me, but I'm used to Lithium Ion, so maybe that's why..? Thinking of switching to rechargables to see if that helps at all..

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2010 10:12:12 PM PDT
N. Pantoja says:
Battery life sucks with this camera. If you think about it, two AA batteries is really nothing. The batteries it came with were gone after about an hour of playing around with the camera. I probably only got about 40 camera shots, and about 2 min of video. I would definitely suggest using rechargeable batteries.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2010 11:42:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2010 11:24:07 AM PDT
S. Griggs says:
There are two brands of rechargeable batteries that have been rated very very well in the battery test sites on the net. Ansmann makes a high capacity AA cell rated at 2850mAh (mill-Amp-hours) that has lasted much much longer than standard cells. They last as long as they are rated at on their label. Another good brand...Sanyo makes a battery called Eneloop that holds its charge for a very long time when not in use but last I checked, they are rated only for 2000mAh. I have a Canon SX20is and can take over 700 shots on one set of 4 AA's while the manual states that an est 600 shots can be made on rechargeable cells.

Edit: I just posted the results of recent use and testing the capacity of my secondary set of Ansmann batteries, the 2700 mAh versions. I've posted a picture of cells in my digital charger showing their capacity exceeding 2700 up to 3110 mAh. You can see this on the photos for the 2700 series listing and the Canon SX20is photo samples.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2010 10:03:32 AM PDT
Jeannie says:
If you use the entire charge on rechargeables several times a month, then the higher capacity rechargeables would be better for you. However, if your batteries tend to set for several weeks before using, then Sanyo Eneloops would be better even though they are only 2000 mAh. Regular NiMH bateries can completely self discharge in a month whereas the Eneloops will lose between 0.1-0.2 volts the first few days after a charge then pretty much hold the remaining charge for up to a year. I've been using Eneloops (both AA and AAA) exclusively for more than two years now and have yet to have a battery fail on me (which is far more than I can say for other brands I have used).

No matter which kind you decide best meets your needs, be sure to use a slow charger to charge your batteries. Anything faster than 200-500 mA will literally cook your batteries to death. It is cheaper in the long run to just carry extra batteries and recharge them later when you have more time. I almost always charge mine at 200 mA and never more than 500 ma.

I use both the LaCrosse BC900 and BC700 chargers. Because of problems some of the BC900s and the newer BC9009s which have replaced the BC900s have had, I recommend the BC700; it has plenty of capacity and hasn't had any problems reported.

Posted on Sep 24, 2010 1:20:37 PM PDT
rochu168 says:
I am interested in this camera. But I am concerned about battery life. Is it really that bad? Any advice would be appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2010 3:39:54 PM PDT
S. Griggs says:
I have the SX120is and would love to upgrade to the SX130, mostly just to get the HD upgrade, which was the very same reason I upgraded from the SX10is to the SX20is. The SX120 is my secondary camera that I carry with me nearly at all times. It's great to have a camera handy that can take great pictures better than a cell phone. The advantage of using standard AA's is the fact that you can not only use rechargeable cells but can switch out with commonly found regular batteries world wide at a near moment's notice. Rechargeables allow even a bigger advantage because you can swap out rechargeable AA's hundreds of times and save lots of money.
I swap out the batteries in the camera when I pic it up to go out, so that they are fresh to start with and charge both sets when I get back. This solves any battery issues during storage when going into use. Using either of the two brand rechargeable batteries testified above will give much better performance vs 'over the counter' common rechargeable cells.
I've taken my SX120 camera on trips and have taken lots of shots over a week's time without replacements. I learned to change to freshly charged cells after quite some time between uses. Using rechargeables solves any cost issues, and putting in fresh cells at beginning of use solves cell endurance issues.
So go ahead and get the SX130is and enjoy it as I do my SX120 and only wish that I could upgrade to. (only for the HD video)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2010 5:13:55 PM PDT
jtm says:
I feel horrible that it took a few weeks before getting around to writing this, but it is definitely important to note that I did try Rayovac rechargeable NiMH batteries, and they work supurb. With "regular" AAs, I was using about three sets in a day out of town sightseeing, at the zoo, etc. With the Rayovac, the same charge is still in there from almost just as much usage plus idle time between uses of a few days. This camera is great; but if you are going to buy it, I highly recommend getting the rechargeables.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2010 5:21:34 PM PDT
rochu168 says:
I am not going to take this camera out of consideration because of the battery life then. All my cameras have been Canons. The SX130IS has all the features I want and the price is quite attractive. Thank you for the info!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›