5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Straight From The Box, August 31, 2010
This review is from: Canon PowerShot SX130IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 12x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with 3.0-Inch LCD (OLD MODEL) (Camera)
I first heard about the SX130is on August 19th- the same day I had decided that my final purchase decision would be the SX120is. After reading a few reviews, it had me convinced that this would be worth waiting for. I received my SX130is late this morning- and have to say, right from the box it was just amazing. Every time in the past when purchasing a new camera, it takes some adjusting and "breaking in" before fully great-quality pictures come, but with this one, literally from the first shot it has been wonderful. The HD video also records wonderfuly, and the sound is great as well- even with using all of the 48x digital zoom! The one "downside" to the video mode is that the image doesn't auto-focus as you zoom in, at times you have to re-focus using the shutter just as you normally would when taking a picture, but I personally didn't find that too annoying once I figured it out. The miniature and fisheye modes are a blast to use, and the smart-shutter mode (takes the photo when a smile is detected, without using the shutter) is neat too. The LCD is a nice big size, and has an auto-rotate for images in the playback mode, as well as an option to scroll through them when selecting. A fun fact which I also noticed is that it has a "screensaver," which displays the time to save the screen (as a computer would). Although some might consider it a bit "bulky" compared to most compact point and shoots, the size is perfect for someone like me who has bigger hands, allowing for a decent grip and non-clumsy hold. Overall, I just absolutely LOVE this camera (which I why I already give it 5 stars, hands down). Definitely recomend this to anyone; is well worth the money!

***Updated on 9/24***
After finally getting some Rayovac recharcable NiMH batteries, I can finally say that this camera is well worth the money. If you use regular AA (nonrechargeable) batteries, it will blow through them like crazy, so I learned the hard way. But the NiMH last much, much longer, plus are rechargeable. If you plan on purchasing this camera, I would highly recommend also getting the batteries- it is well worth the extra money.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 21-27 of 27 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2011 1:54:43 PM PDT
S. Griggs says:
Phoebe, I got the opportunity to upgrade to the SX130is like I mentioned in a previous posting. My SX120 has a good home and found a great deal on the new one. Last weekend I went to a wedding and video recorded a lot of if. The bride's uncle was asked to do the main recording but I just wanted to try out the camera in a real life situation. The shots turned out great as well as the sound, even from 5 rows back. Zoom was quiet too. Her uncle did not get the front angle that I got so she was excited to get a copy of it as well as the toast at the reception. He did not get that at all but I did. She was so happy.
I am still using my Ansmann 2850 mAh AA's and now have a 16GB fast SD card that saves the videos and pictures quickly for faster shots.
Recently I also ordered one of those hard multi-layer 3 inch screen protectors. It can take some small impacts to protect the view screen.

Posted on Jul 14, 2011 1:55:34 PM PDT
A few questions:
1.) Does this camera have a sport shot setting where you can take action shots? It's handy to have something that shoots multiple frames/second so you don't miss the best shot.
2.) Antishake?
3.) How long does it take from hitting the power button till shooting? And from shot to shot? The camera I have now drags and I have missed really awesome shots b/c of it.
4.) Panoramic mode?

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2011 11:43:56 PM PDT
S. Griggs says:
Jennifer, I've got a printout of the manual, in booklet form and bound. On pg 74 it says continuous shooting is as follows. 1 frame per second on continuous, 0.6 on auto focus, and 0.7 on fixed focus. So this might be disappointing to you. Using flash adds charge/recharge time between pics so it's best to shoot without if possible. I hardly ever use the flash myself anyway. The recharge rate is quicker using high capacity rechargeable batteries from what I've read in the professional camera reviews of this and other Canon models. Using a fast class 10 memory card helps out too on the recording time of the shot.

The image stable feature does an excellent job. I've taken pictures of flowers and birds in full zoom and turned out "rock solid" steady in the shot.

It powers up very quickly. It's ready before I can hold it up to shoot.

Without flash, using a fast card as mentioned as well as high capacity batteries, you can shoot every 1.5 seconds. Again, I think this will be disappointing to you. I usually take single shots myself. But the software that comes with the camera can take stills from video very easily. This camera can take HD video at 720 resolution. You could pick out the exact shot you want doing this. Plus you've got the video itself of the action.

There's no panoramic mode but the software does a really good job of stitching overlaping stills. The more overlap the better of the blending results. And using this method you can stitch more pictures for a wider shot than a panoramic mode on other cameras. I've done several like this with nice results.

If these features need to be in the camera for your liking, you might consider something else. But this camera does "shine" in other areas and features. The zoom and wide angle are great for this class of camera. I upgraded from the SX120is just for the HD video and stereo sound like my larger SX20is, which is my main camera. The image chip has been slightly enlarged from the SX120 due to increased resolution, etc. So this is a slight improvement. All the features I liked in the SX120 were either carried over to the new model or improved upon as well plus a few new features. I've been very pleased with the quality and performance. But you'll find that rapid shot features are usually found in more costly models from what I've seen.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2011 2:27:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 22, 2011 2:40:23 AM PDT
draktrin says:
Re battery usage, Jeannie got everything right in her post above, from Sep 23, 2010. It would be insane to use regular alkaline batteries with this and most other P&S digicams, unless you use the camera infrequently. You really ought to use NiMH rechargeables. They come in two varieties: the newer technology, first introduced by Sanyo with their Eneloop's (and now also offered by some other manufacturers) and the older type. The older type has a higher initial capacity, immediately after a fresh charge (e.g. 3000 mAh), but don't be deceived by that; they also have a high self-discharge rate. When they are left in the camera even without using the camera, or stored outside, they will rapidly self-discharge and within a week or so have already lost a lot of their initial capacity (perhaps down to 2000-2500 mAh?). Even without use, after several weeks they will barely have any capacity left, and need to be recharged again before use. They are truly a pain to use.

The Sanyo Eneloops have a rated capacity of 2000 mAh (my year-old set will now typically pick up a charge of 2150 mAh), and they will keep it seemingly forever when not used. I get at least 500 still shots out of one fully charged pair, and I have been using the same set of 4 Eneloops for my last >15,000 shots; they keep going without any apparent wear. One of these sets will be in the camera, the other will have a full charge and accompany the camera.

After careful research, I decided to get the Lacrosse (also marketed as TechnoLine) BC700 intelligent charger (<$30) to charge the Eneloops. That's the same one that Jeannie recommended. This compact charger has a lot of features and is very flexible. In the beginning, at least, it may be a little cumbersome to handle, but it works extremely well and treats the NiMH rechargeables gently. I typically use the setting of full discharge first (at 200 mA) + full charge next (at 500 mA). This cycle extends the battery life by first fully discharging the batteries and then fully charging them to a capacity of about 2150 mAh; that takes a little more than 4 hours.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 1:25:11 PM PST
C. Wolfe says:
I would personally never waste money on rechargeable batteries. I have an older Canon that got about 10 shots on Alkalines but with the Energizer Ultimate Lithiums would get 1500 shots or more. Further, they never die with non usage. I had one set in that camera for over 18 months. Why screw around with rechargeables?

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 4:50:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2012 7:16:40 AM PST
Jeff Chan says:
Rechargeable batteries are definitely the way to go, especially the newer low-self-discharge types. Rechargeables will usually end up costing much less overall than disposable batteries, and they are likely kinder to the environment.

I have a Lacrosse BC-9009U charger and it's working well for me. Jeanine is right: use the slowest charging for the best overall battery life.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 12:06:09 PM PDT
Matthew,
I'm glad to see your post. Now i know it's not just me. I can't seem to turn off the auto-focus for the life of me.
I am shooting on a tripod, videotaping a 'talking head' video, and each time the speakers head moves toward the camera more than a few inches, the SX130IS tries to refocus and screws up the whole take.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›