4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed at first, but like it now, November 25, 2011
This review is from: SELF Magazine (Kindle Tablet Edition) (App)
I'm a current subscriber and thought I'd get the Self App and get the magazine so I can read it on my Kindle Fire when I'm at the doctor, etc. The registration process was annoying. You had to enter your magazine info, then your email and create a password, and you also have subscribe to self.com and create username and password there and have your email registered there in order to get the magazine. Both passwords have to match, which I wasn't aware of. Had to email, then call Self to get this straightened out.

Then, after signing in, I was able to download the December issue of the magazine. The download process stopped partway through, but then finally finished. Sat down to read it later, and stupid me, but I didn't realize that you have to have wi-fi connected and be on the internet, and sign in to Self in order to read the magazine. This defeats my purpose of being able to read it on my Kindle anywhere. Can't read it unless I'm somewhere with a wi-fi connection.

This was my first magazine I attempted to get the digital copy of. If all of them have to use a wi-fi connection in order to read them, I'm going to be really sad... but like I said before, maybe I'm just stupid and should have known that.

Anyways, I think I'll just continue reading my hard copy of the mag and forget about this version. The digital copy looked ok, but it's too much bother for me....

REVISED 1/15/12: Thanks to those of you who pointed out that I didn't need a wi-fi connection to read the magazine. When I click on the app on my Kindle Fire I get a pop up message "can't access library - not connected to internet", so I wrongly assumed that I couldn't read the mag without being on the internet. All I did was click "ok" on the pop up and I'm able to read the magazine. I guess if I'm this ignorant, I shouldn't be leaving reviews...Anyway, I increased my rating to 4 stars, and although it kind of takes a little long to download an issue, I like it now!!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 11, 2012 7:37:18 AM PST
K. Ford says:
Read Denise S's review. It seems that you can download the content so you don't have to have a WI-FI connection active. Assuming it works the same way as books (on my wife's Kindle), you would just tap-and-hold the app/icon and you'll have an option to download... That's just a guess though.

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 4:34:06 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 17, 2012 4:34:52 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 10:56:06 AM PST
How did you get it to download? I have a kindle Fire and I keep getting only up to 2.6mb of the download then get an error message could not download a file. ANYONE???
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.3 out of 5 stars (129 customer reviews)

$0.00