3,685 of 3,998 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars PS3 or Xbox 360, or Wii?, December 17, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Sony Playstation 3 160GB System (Console)
The PS3 is a great system. Easy to use, futuristic on-screen interface, quality sleek hardware, awesome graphics, lots of benefits. But should you get a PS3 or Xbox 360? And what about the Wii?

Note: I own all three devices, and I appreciate all of them. I don't have any bias to one system or the other, just my personal experience and opinion...

PS3============================================
What I like MOST about the PS3:
1) Future proof Blu-ray player (Sony updates the player over the Internet for free; it now supports 3D movies/TVs)
2) Clean, more futuristic on-screen interface (feels more mature then Xbox 360)
3) Better/Smoother/Faster graphics (in the 10+ games I own on a 60" 1080p HDTV)
4) Free online multiplayer gaming (no monthly/yearly fees like Xbox 360; which I hate about Xbox)
5) Watch your online netflix shows on PS3 for free (Xbox requires Xbox live account to use your netflix account; another thing I hate about Xbox)
6) Exterior: More futuristic, luxurious, mature "look". Looks more like a sleek Home Theater appliance. (Xbox 360 more oriented to youthful crowd; Xbox looks more like an 'entertainment' device)
7) Lighter, slimmer, smaller controller. Built-in longer lasting rechargeable battery. (the Xbox controller does not come with a standard rechargeable battery, and it feels heavier and more bloated then the PS3 controller).
8) Built-in wireless connectivity. (an option on the Xbox)
9) Built-in optical/toslink connectivity for home theatre audio connection. (an option on the Xbox)
10) I can use my (or any) wireless blue-tooth cell phone headset for voice/chat enabled games. (The Xbox cannot)

What I like LEAST about the PS3:
1) My first PS3 (the 'fat' one) had a disc drive failure after 13 months of ownership; 1 month beyond its warranty. The PS3 still works, I just cant use discs. That means I cant watch blu-ray discs on it and I cant play disc based games on it. I can still play games through the PlayStation store (demos, etc), I still can watch netflix on it, and I still can watch movies from my PCs over the network on it. The fact that my PS3 disc drive died after about 1 year of limited delicate usage really concerns me about the quality of the hardware and customer support/treatment. I paid over $400 for my first PS3, and I used it maybe twice a week. After searching the web about my problem, I found this was a rampant problem with the fat PS3. Did they fix this problem with the slim PS3? Time will tell; I sure hope so. I just wish Sony would have fixed my problem for free (as I feel it was shoddy hardware or poor engineering that resulted in this problem, not me).
2) Games (new and used) are generally more expensive then the Xbox 360.
3) I liked the glossy look of the first generation PS3. The new PS3 slim looks a little flimsier/cheaper. It is smaller though, and that's a plus.
4) The rechargeable battery in the PS3 controller is not swappable. That means if your controller dies mid-game, you have to plug it in to use it. (The Xbox controller has swappable batteries)
5) When I download a game (full or demo), I can't play it immediately. After the download (which could take over an hour), I have to install the game (which could take another 10-30+ minutes), at which time my PS3 is unusable until it completes. The Xbox downloads in the background and plays immediately without having to install the game. Also, if I turn off the PS3, the download stops (the Xbox finishes the download even when turned off).

Xbox 360============================================
What I like MOST about the Xbox 360:
1) More people have it. In other words, all my friends, family and coworkers have Xbox 360s. Which also means if I want to play online with them, I have to use my Xbox, which is also a con for me. (I'd rather use my PS3 because of the better graphics and lighter/smaller controller).
2) I can download games, updates and demos in the background, even with the Xbox turned off. So I can start a download and go to bed without leaving the box on all night. (The PS3 cant do this)
3) When I download a game (full or demo), I can play it immediately. On the PS3, you have to download it (which could take over an hour), then install it (which could take another 10-30+ minutes), at which time your PS3 is unusable until it completes.
4) My late generation Xbox elite has lasted longer then my first generation PS3 (surprisingly)
5) It doubles as a Media Center extender. I have a PC that records shows for me in Media Center (like a Tivo but no monthly fees). I can access these shows and watch live TV over the network via my Xbox. This is a VERY cool and under-talked about feature. And most people with a Windows PC can do this; look it up.
6) The console and games (new and used) are cheaper then the PS3.

What I like LEAST about the Xbox 360:
1) Still no blu-ray player. This is a major con compared to the PS3. It WILL play regular DVDs, however.
2) In my experience, graphics are a little lower quality then my PS3. In Grand Theft Auto IV, I can see farther and more objects at a time on my PS3. The PS3 has a faster frame rate, where the Xbox feels almost blurry. The colors are more crisp on the PS3, the Xbox is more washed out, like water colors. Some may not even notice this, I do.
3) No built-in wireless connectivity. You have to buy a very expensive adapter to have wireless connectivity.
4) No built-in optical/toslink connectivity for home theatre audio connection. You have to buy an adapter to do this.
5) No rechargeable battery. You have to buy a rechargeable battery and kit to do this.
6) Not a major deal, but the on-screen interface is more kid-feeling then the PS3. I'm an adult and the PS3 feels more like its targeted to adults then children/teenagers.
7) YOU HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY ONLINE. I don't understand this. It's ridiculous to me. It's way overpriced. I can't play online with my friends unless I buy a monthly or yearly Xbox live pass. I hate this about the Xbox. I HATE THIS. I already gave them hundreds of dollars in the console, games and accessories; stop asking me to pay to play. As you can see, this is a major con to me. I also cant watch my Netflix account without paying for an Xbox live account. Boo!
8) The Xbox has a pretty bad reliability record. I believe they have eliminated most of the issues that plagued the earlier consoles, however. My neighbor has replaced his Xbox 4 times; FOUR TIMES! I have not. He plays his every day all day though; I play once or twice a week for less then an hour.

Wii============================================
I bought the Wii after playing it at a friends house. I was blown away by the idea and experience of motion based controllers. We played golf, boxing, tennis, ping pong; it was an amazing experience - for the first time.
After I had the Wii, I quickly lost interest.
Here's why:
1) Horrible graphics. I paid a lot of money to have a 60" High Definition full 1080p home theatre. The Wii graphics look like absolute kiddy crap on my TV. The Wii has no high def. Its like playing a first generation Nintendo NES on a HDTV. Its horrible, and for this 1 reason I can no longer enjoy my Wii. Nintendo is way behind the modern day high end graphics of today.
2) The motion controller novelty has worn off. Its fun on a few games, horrible on others. I don't know, the novelty of the Wii has just worn off for me; and several of my friends.
3) It just doesn't feel like a modern quality device. While I'm sure its reliable, it just feels like a child's toy; the exterior, the interface, the games, etc. Sorry, I guess I've just grown up.

Conclusion============================================
In conclusion, I would say the Wii is more suited to young children. The Xbox is a great device, and so is the PS3. I can live without my Wii; but I would have a hard time choosing between the Xbox and PS3. For that reason, I choose to have both. If Xbox made online multiplayer free (eliminated the Xbox live cost), and included a blu-ray player, I would choose the Xbox over a PS3 (even with the better graphics on the PS3). But for now, I say buy both. By the Xbox as a gaming device, and justify the PS3 as blu-ray player with benefits.

If your a parent shopping for a teenager and only want to buy 1 device, go for the Xbox 360. Chances are, most of your child's friends will already have one, and they can all play online.

I hope this review gives you some insight and help with your choice, and a little knowledge of all the systems from an experienced and unbiased owner. [...]

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 17 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 195 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 17, 2010 5:25:11 PM PST
Rajan Kannan says:
Thanks for such a detail comparison of the 3 gaming systems. You answered all my questions which i was looking out. thanks again.

Posted on Dec 18, 2010 12:37:22 AM PST
M. Walton says:
The Xbox 360 slim has a built in wireless connection. You pay online for a better experience and it is not overpriced. It is barely $4 a month.

Posted on Dec 20, 2010 5:20:57 AM PST
Lucky1265 says:
"If your an adult that demands the best and has little time to play games (like myself), get a PS3. Its sleek, its got better graphics, its wireless, and it has a blu-ray player."

I wouldn't necessarily say that the PS3 has better graphics. Developers spend more time on the Xbox 360 version of the games than they do with the PS3 version so you may see some differences on texture, gameplay, etc in comparison. The source was found within the Call of Duty Black Ops (PS3) forum and this game is just one example.

I am also an owner of all 3 and agree with most of what you posted. I stopped playing the Wii after 3 months because the controls did get boring but it's geared towards most kids and partying adults/adults who are not into the conventional gaming.

I don't have the newer Xbox but received the Red Ring of Death on the older Xbox 360 Elite and haven't played since. I sent it to Microsoft to fix this but that was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I put a lot of money into that system with the online subscriptions, accessories, etc and to keep wondering when it'll break again is not worth the time and money. During repair I bought a PS3 and cannot be happier but again this is my preference. I don't know too many people with the 360 so this was an easy choice. If I were to buy a system for my kid I would choose between the PS3 and 360 but would look into what his/her friends are playing first. If you do choose the 360 I would recommend going with the yearly online subscription.

Posted on Dec 20, 2010 5:49:36 AM PST
Cory Miller says:
This is a really great comparsion of the 3 systems. The only thing I would disagree with is the statement that the PS3 has better graphics than the 360. In theory, it SHOULD have better graphics but in practice it rarely seems to on cross platform games. In fact many game reviewers will agree that most cross platform Xbox 360 games look equal to or even better than PS3 games. Also PS3 sometimes has framerate issues with these same games. Now on PS3 exclusives, most people would agree that they look better than 360 exclusives. However you're really not comparing apples to apples.

Posted on Dec 23, 2010 7:04:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2010 7:06:54 PM PST
BadFlounder says:
Good review but the comment about the PS3 having "better, smoother, faster" graphics is incorrect. In fact, quite the opposite has been proven true over the life of the 360 and PS3. While PS3 exclusives are excellent and generally perform as well as any 360 game the same cannot be said for cross-platform games. I can think of only one game (Oblivion) which actually performed better on PS3. All other games perform the same (not a lot of them) or worse (most). That is not to say the games are not enjoyable on PS3, just the fact is about all cross-platform games perform better on 360.

Red Dead Redemption is just one example. The game is just as fun on either system but looks noticeably better and runs smoother on 360.

Cheers

Posted on Dec 25, 2010 4:23:06 AM PST
LaPana says:

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 12:12:57 AM PST
Zaboomafoo says:
-Prices for games are the same for PS3 and Xbox 360.
-When you go to turn off your PS3 it gives you the option to download whatever is left and then turn off automatically.
-If installing a demo is taking you more than ten minutes there is something wrong with your PS3.

Posted on Dec 28, 2010 10:15:52 PM PST
As informative as it was, I didn't read it though to learn to decide what I might want to buy, but just to see why 166 people thought this review was most helpful. First off you are biased, instead of making a long post cuz I'm short on time, I'm just going to point out your bias is based off on graphics. If the game isn't eye candy it is going to ruin your gaming experience. It is from this angle from which you pretty much tear apart the Wii, to say that you have grown up from the Wii, is pretty weak, sure eye candy can be nice, but it is easy to cover up a pretty poor game with some nice eye candy, versus a game with a great story line and incredible character development with somewhat decent graphics. Different companies have different budget restrictions and can't really afford to make a game with multiple 20 minute epic cutscenes, they rather choose to have a story with great character development. Also, there are plenty of mature games for the Wii, for example, Manhunt 2. I will admit I am bias towards a game console though, however it isn't the Wii like you might think :P it's towards the PS3; as I have always been a fan of Sony and the Playstation. However, I just couldn't ignore your blatant bias against the Wii, I think the review would have been better if left with just the PS3 and the Xbox360.

For people who aren't sure what to get it leaves them thinking that the Wii is a very bad choice. To start off you completely drop your format and of pro's and cons format and just say how bad it is. It will very easily discourage people who are interested into buying one. I'm sorry if my comment seems over critical but for someone to claim this to be unbiased, is kinda off, sure you aren't biased towards a company or brand or gaming console, but you are biased against the Wii. It isn't just a console for young kids. It has plenty of games that make the wii motion work, and supply with lot's of fun, sure there are also a lot of games that flop with it, but I have found plenty of games that have brought hours of fun. It is still a great console with lot's of fun games. I'll just leave it at that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2010 7:25:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2010 7:28:22 PM PST
Lupito says:
Thanks for the review . I'm going to buy PS3 only because Little Big Planet that for me it beats all games ! In addition I'll enjoy all PS3 features that come with it .

Posted on Jan 3, 2011 7:17:51 PM PST
Tyler Larsen says:
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (1,075 customer reviews)

$324.95