Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars The Belly Fat Cure Has Helped Me Lose 74lbs So Far, January 4, 2010
This review is from: The Belly Fat Cure: Discover the New Carb Swap Systemô and Lose 4 to 9 lbs. Every Week (Spiral-bound)
I was introduced to the Belly Fat Cure in March as a result of an article in Costco's Costco Connection magazine and applied to be his coaching class for Costco members. I had been selected to take part in the program and during the course of the 11 weeks of coaching, was able to shed 47 pounds and 10 inches off my belly. I religiously followed the program during the coaching and tracked every meal making sure that no meals exceeded the recommended 5 grams of sugar and 2 carb servings. I was also taking probiotics and psyllium husks three times a day. The pounds literally were just melting right off of me.

I also want to note that I had started a running program in December of 2008 and by the time I started the Belly Fat Cure program, I had gone from not being able to run much of one mile to running three miles the whole way and was running 5 to 6 days a week. The running didn't result in any weight loss at all for me, just increased endurance. Once I added the Belly Fat Cure program, I started seeing weight loss.

Like Corrie Hearn's review, the book as it exists now wasn't available, we just got the core information about not exceeding 15 grams of sugar and 6 carb servings per day. We were taught how to read nutrition labels (that information is in the book) and given some key suggestions. We definitely did not the recipes and for that matter initially the food list. We did get that a few weeks in as an Excel spreadsheet. So essentially we had to "figure it out." It took a little trial and error but I started losing weight right away and inches. Some weeks I lost more than others, some I plateaued but stuck with it and it started falling off again.

What struck me as most beneficial about the program is that I had no idea how much sugar I had been consuming prior to the program. Even though there I was having a lot of "low fat" items those foods were actually loaded in sugar. The first week was a little rough getting used to dramatically less sugar. I probably went through about 15-20 packets of Truvia that first week to replace some of the sugar. I swapped out Iced Tea for sodas until I tried the Caramel Vanilla tea in the line of Lipton teas Jorge has recommended. I thought that tea was so disgusting it got me right off iced teas too and I've been more of an avid water and Zevia drinker ever since.

Within the first two weeks my appetite dropped considerably and the size of meals I used to eat all of and would still be looking for more food to eat right afterwards were becoming ones I couldn't finish and I was feeling full for a few hours instead of maybe an hour. This really hit home for me when I went out for dinner with a friend, my friend had an appetizer, a full entree with side items, and a dessert. I just opted to have loaded baked potato and I couldn't even finish it. In all fairness my friend didn't eat all of his meal either, but he had considerably more than I had and I know I would have had similar amounts prior to the program.

Following the coaching, I pretty much had a routine for my first couple of meals for the day so I stopped tracking every meal and then periodically would allow myself have a meal or two per week that might have slightly more sugar than 5 grams or maybe a meal with 3 carb servings. I even cut back on the psyllium husks and probiotics to once per day then to only 3-4 times per week. I also got so burned out on the running program I had been doing and quit it entirely. I haven't been back to any of the running in nearly six months now. But I've still lost weight with the Belly Fat Cure program despite stopping the running. Albeit, the rate at which I was losing weight has slowed considerably too. Since mid July, I've only lost another twenty seven pounds. I'm fine with that. I'm sure if I step back up to the three times daily probiotics/psyllium husks, the vigilant meal tracking, and the running I'd be getting back to the faster rate of weight loss.

I want to add a couple of comments to address some of the concerns of others here that have given the book poor ratings. Those comments are:

** Food is too expensive, too hard to find items in the book **
It can be if you let it. I don't use very many of the products myself. I just read the nutrition labels in the stores, whether its my local supermarket or a natural foods store, or even a 7-Eleven. I can find something to eat just about everywhere, it just takes a little time to pay attention to the labels. Maybe this is because the recommended foods list didn't exist at the time I started the program, so I just naturally gravitate towards reading labels in the store.

What's featured in the book is to just give you ideas of what to look for. They don't have to be those specific brands as featured in the book. They're just there to illustrate that there's a variety of products out there that you can have. And sure, maybe Zevia is the only recommended soda in the book, but that's because it's the only one on the market made with all natural ingredients and doesn't have the toxic artificial sweeteners found in other sodas. I was personally amazed by how great tasting it was, their Root Beer flavor especially reminds me of how A&W Root Beer used to taste to me when I was a kid but doesn't any longer because it's now made with High Fructose Corn Syrup. And the good part is Zevia's Root Beer is not bad for you.

Another example is the Ezekiel breads that Jorge recommends. I've never tried it. I don't use enough breads at home to justify buying a loaf of any kind of because I usually have to throw out more bread than I use, so I just don't buy it. I also don't use the Whey powders because I think they're expensive. About the only expensive product I do regularly buy is 5-lb bags of Zylitol and I get those here on Amazon because the bigger bag costs less than buying 3 1-lb bags in local stores (which are the largest I can find locally) so it's like getting 2 lbs for free.

** Not a lifestyle, unrealistic to cut out fruits **
You don't have to completely eliminate fruits, you just choose ones like blackberries and blueberries which are low in sugar. The key is to drop sugar so that you can lose weight. Once you do lose the weight you want to lose, then you can add it back in if you like. Just go in moderation. You don't have to completely ban it from your life. If you're willing to have a smaller portion of a high sugar item you can have anything you want.

For example, if what you really want is a banana, assume the banana is 20 grams of sugar. Cut a banana into quarters and you can have a quarter of the banana with four separate meals, maybe add it to your sugar free cereal for breakfast or with a breast of chicken for lunch and then you do it again the next day with the other two quarters. You still get your banana and are compliant with the program. I did this with a tube of imported Smarties Chocolates from Europe (kind of like a plain M&M). In the past that tube wouldn't have lasted a day, but when I only had no more than five or six little pieces a day, that tube lasted me about 3 months. And really it satisfied me because I was happy with just a little taste of it.

** Recipes Too Difficult **
I've had a draft version of the book since July and that older draft version has about 95% of the recipes that's in the final version of the book. And I've still only ever made one recipe from the book. That recipe is the home made sugar free ice cream recipe. I'm not a cook nor will I pretend to be one.

While the recipe section of the book is the least useful to me, I still appreciate having it because it's got a wealth of ideas that I could try if I was feeling up to cooking. The bulk of my meals I've done on this program have come from restaurants and a significant number of them have been from fast food, which brings me to the next complaint...

** Not Fast Food Friendly **
On the contrary, I find this program is very complimentary to fast food as that's mostly what I've eaten. I am a single guy who doesn't cook, so drive-thrus tend to be where I get a lot of meals. I want quick, simple, and cheap and all of it is possible with this program. The trick is CUSTOMIZING. For example, if I'm getting a burger, I find out what sauces a restaurant puts on their burgers, and then ask them not to use them. The sugar free sauces you can have are mustard, and mayonnaise so I'll often ask to have that used instead of ketchup, barbeque, or "special" sauces. Then I'll ask to have my burger wrapped in lettuce. This lets me use my 6 carb servings per day on other foods. And KFC's Grilled Chicken is fantastic on this program and its delicious too.

** French Fries And Bacon Are Not Healthy **
I wouldn't necessary call these items the healthiest either, but they are low sugar options. What people seem to be forgetting here is that if you're overweight the chances are pretty good you're not eating the healthy, all natural foods that people are complaining this program is not advocating enough of.

If all you eat are highly processed packaged foods, fast foods, restaurant meals, and/or things that come in boxes with nutrition labels, then this program is going to show you that you can still do the same thing, but with some education, you'll learn to make better choices and use many of the same foods to actually lose weight instead of gain weight.

This makes the program very simple to follow and easy to incorporate into your life and make it a lifestyle. The easiest changes to make are small changes. Once you've made one small change, you can build on it by making another one. You don't go from a lifetime of McDonald's value meals to homemade Vegan meals overnight without it being a complete shock to the system. Sure the Vegan meal might be the better choice, but its a completely foreign concept to the Big Mac fan. This is just a first step to better eating, and seeing results is going to help motivate further changes where maybe the fries and bacon get left behind in favor of better food choices. The changes have to start somewhere and picking fries and bacon over a Jamba Juice smoothie is only a first step. The goal here is to kick the sugar habit and drop some pounds, once that's been achieved, then we can worry about making better food choices.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 6, 2010 6:17:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2010 6:19:15 AM PST
Hippie Chick says:
CYBER HIGH FIVE!!! GREAT JOB on your weightloss!!! I cannot tell you how excited and happy I am for you. Your review is proof of how this program can work for so many and how it is not expensive and you can eat anything! The S/C list is so helpful because you can have ANYTHING but you just calculate "that banana or that tomato" piece (as examples) into that meal. I am down 6 pounds since Friday the 1st. I have so much energy that I am requiring less sleep. For my son, who is a teenager trying to get healthy, I cannot tell you how this is affecting him so positively. The first day, he was an absolute Bear, and he said "he could feel himself on edge"
because he had not had any sugar. That was Monday. Today, he was up out of bed no problem, pulled the trash and was just in a good mood. We do 20 minutes of cardio together every night. He likes GILAD and with the good proteins, fats, water and less sugar ..He is just looking better and feeling better. He measures out his Heinz ketchup, he reads labels..He talks about how much better he feels and he also said, "I cannot believe I was eating so much sugar". His appetite has been suppressed and he said even after he used to eat 3 slices of pizza and two sodas he always wanted more to eat. He could barely finish his scrambled eggs, spinach and center cut bacon (lower in calories and fat) this morning. He said , "One Egg" from now on, Mom". Sugar is a drug! Period! As a mother, seeing my child have that "light bulb moment" and eating in a way that is not about deprivation fills me with joy for him. The time we spend together working out for 20 minutes is just a blast.

I am going to show him your review tonight. I have always believed that exercise need not be strenuous, but something that you can do everyday for the rest of your life and enjoy. I am of the Denise Austin school. 30 minutes a day. That is all you need. I find on the BFC I have more energy to work out. I don't feel sluggish. Workouts are really fun and 20 to 30 minutes is all it takes. You have made my day and kept me inspired!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2010 10:10:16 AM PST
Ryan says:
Hi there Hippie Chick,

Thanks for your comment, I'm really happy to hear about your progress so far on the program and that it's having great results with your son's appetite as well. I have more about my experiences on the Belly Fat Cure on my blog site if you are interested in reading more. My blog site is at http://www.RyansIncredibleWorld.com.

Ryan

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2010 9:37:46 AM PST
Hippie Chick says:
Thanks Ryan. I cannot tell you how excited my son is every morning when he wakes up. He has lost 5 pounds since Monday. He is just so excited and hopeful and looking good!! We believe in cardio, so we do our Gilad every night for 20 to 30 minutes. You can see the weightloss in his face and stomach already. Again, if a hungry boy teenager can change his eating habits..anyone can do it! He even told me last night, "Water is really starting to taste pretty good!" This from a child who was drinking soda and juice everyday several times a day. He told me yesterday he forgot his lunch and found some natural chips that had 22 grams of carbs and no sugar. He wrote it down in his notebook and came home and wasn't ravenous. Did his homework and I cooked dinner at 5:30 and we went and worked out. He takes his vitamins. I cannot express as a mother watching him to commit to this. Anyway, I am headed to your blogspot and I am down 8 pounds since January 1st!

Posted on Jan 28, 2010 3:38:20 PM PST
rk says:
Hi Ryan,

I feel very motivated after reading your review. It is very helpful. But I just have a question on carbs and carbs from psyllium husks. Does that mean that I can consume 6 carbs along with 3 carbs (30 gms of fiber from the husks). Wouldn't that increase the carb intake?

Posted on Feb 12, 2010 2:00:23 PM PST
Wow, what a great review. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, especially about the special food items. I live in Juneau, AK, where we don't really have an abundant supply of speciality foods.

Posted on Jun 13, 2010 2:38:35 PM PDT
qona says:

Posted on Jun 18, 2010 11:21:40 AM PDT
Steven Mason says:
Ryan, your review is informational and inspirational. I'd sure appreciate it if you could answer a couple of questions (I'm a middle-aged guy who wants to lose 30 pounds).

First, do you follow the six meal a day part of this plan, and is this as important as Jorge seems to say it is? Jorge seems to claim that you will not lose muscle mass if you eat six times a day, rather than three times a day, and that if you eat three times a day - even if it is the same kind of food and the same total calories - up to 25% of your weight loss will be muscle, which is not good!

Also, were you taking your psyllium before meals, during meals, after meals, or between meals? Were you taking the pill kind or the powder-mixed-with-water kind? And could you tell me which probiotic supplement you were taking?

And, how do you feel as you diet and lose the weight? Is it a bit of a strain, do you have periods of feeling tired and lethargic, and is your concentration ever a little fuzzy? Or, do you feel better than ever while on the plan?

I want to duplicate your success! You lost 47 pounds in 3 months. I only need to lose 30 pounds, and maybe since I don't have so much to lose it won't come off as fast, but still, I'd be ecstatic if I could lose it in 6 months!

Thanks.

Posted on Oct 8, 2010 2:05:59 PM PDT
A. E. Dunbar says:
Hey Ryan! Great review - love the detail!
Just wanted to say I freeze my loaf of Eziekiel bread, and just pull a frozen slice or two out of the bag to toast when the need arises. Works like a charm. All storebought, packaged sliced bread can be stored and eaten this way - I think bread boxes are for people who can use up a loaf in a day.

Posted on Jun 5, 2011 9:03:34 PM PDT
Dee Cee says:
Outstanding review! I just picked up this book from Costco (ironically, given your mention here), and then came here to check out reviews. Thank you so much for taking the time to cover all the bases, and speaking to the negative comments as well.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›