3.0 out of 5 stars It's an OK mouse, November 25, 2009
This review is from: Apple Magic Mouse (Personal Computers)
After having this for a few weeks now and the novelty of it has worn off I can say it's an OK mouse. Not great, just OK. The scrolling action on it just rules. I keep using it just for that. There is a hack to make the momentum scrolling work in 10.5, do a quick google search and you can find it. The bluetooth does have quirks. Sometimes the mouse will just disconnect and I have to turn it off and back on to continue using it. The overall feel of mouse is odd. It is really low and it just never feels right in the hand. Also, it does require a lot of pressure to click. I'm used to barely clicking and you gotta push this down with some authority. It's not a gaming mouse by any means. I'm going to keep using this until I can find something that fits my hand better.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 27, 2010 11:26:12 AM PDT
L. Freed says:
"It is really low and it just never feels right in the hand." -- hits the nail on the head. I've had mine for about a month and still find it uncomfortable to use. In fact, my shoulder has been stiff and I blame it on the mouse. The touch scrolling is *almost* worth putting up with it -- but not quite. The packaging is total overkill but I'm glad I kept mine so I can send it back in the package it came in!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2010 6:42:54 AM PDT
Py Smith says:
You are so right! I recently bought one and I had to return it the very next day...the mouse was so unreliable...and it was so slow to use...I had more problems with it. I was lucky that I can return it the very next day...and still...I am using the Logitech mouse and it is the best one I have used...fast and reliable.

Py smith

Posted on Nov 3, 2010 7:09:18 AM PDT
paul F Yau says:
I highly recommend the Logitech V470. Bluetooth. Easy clicks. Fits well (but I have biggish hands).
Software can fine tune momentum scrolling

Posted on Dec 12, 2010 3:17:56 PM PST
Louise says:
I agree; I felt it really lags when pointing even when set for fast in prefs.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2011 2:24:58 PM PST
I agree with this post! Get a logitech! I had mine for only 1 year and 1 month and it's already broken. Nice try apple on a cool concept now work on your quality control! :((

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 6:08:44 PM PDT
Jeff says:
It has excellent scrolling up/down and even side/side but the right double click doesn't alway work properly. I've had for 6 months and I still have not mastered how or exactly where on the mouse to double click. Decent but consider every other mouse option before dishing out the money for it.

Posted on Dec 23, 2011 11:51:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2011 12:02:21 PM PST
White Lotus says:
I've been using my Magic Mouse for a couple weeks now and I disagree with your assertion that it requires a lot of pressure to click. Anyone can go inside an Apple store and see for themselves. Apple is not going to design a mouse, which is likely going to be used by graphic professionals all day long, that is going to require clicking with authority. You're way off on this point.

It's definitely a different kind of click because the whole front end of the mouse is used to click as opposed to a button which a traditional mouse uses.

People have been using traditional mice so long it's probably hard for them to use something different for the first time. It took me no time at all to adjust. I played with the mouse at the Apple Store before making my decision and my Magic Mouse performs the same way at home as it did in the store.

I think it's no harder to click than a regular mouse. I do have to position my hand pretty much over the whole mouse to get leverage, but it does work and I don't have to press "with authority" to register a click.

Regarding mouse connection it has not posed a problem at all. All cordless mice go into a "low power" mode after a certain amount of time lapses. You can't get around this. That being said, I have never had to turn my mouse off, and then on again in order to make it work. It really sounds like you have a bad set up or a bad mouse because I don't have any of these problems.

I have owned Microsoft and Logitech mice in the past and the Apple Magic Mouse is actually the best one I've owned in terms of not going to sleep too quickly. The only time I have to wake the mouse up is when I turn my computer on. To wake the mouse up, I simply click on it several times and move it around, that's it.

The Magic Mouse will actually stay "alive" for a long time before you actually have to "wake" it from a sleep state. You must be going very long periods of time not using the mouse because it has not been an issue with me at all.

Posted on Jul 17, 2013 8:54:10 AM PDT
Elle says:
Thank you for mentioning that you have to "push down with some authority" to click! For this reason alone, I'm going to go with the Magic Trackpad.

Posted on Sep 15, 2013 5:40:18 PM PDT
pedro says:
Really? Yep, But!

Got to agree that the scrolling is a nice feature but, well actually, plenty of buts;

1- Low profile is a problem with my big, workers hands. I find it difficult to keep the index and second figure from brushing the surface and causing it to flick the page back. (enormously frustrating when playing Candy Crush - woops!, did I say that? Well actually, without moving the fingers and with the barest of pressure, (feels like no pressure at all) the screen will page back. then the swipe to advance a page works less than 50% of the time. So actually three problems here so call them 1,2&3. Ready to throw it at the wall in frustration yet? No, don't do that. Don't even drop in on the shag pile. (see below)

4- Mouse is heavy and slick, so when you're surfing from the comfort of the couch, it will quietly escape your hand and fall on the floor. The battery cover will invariably pop off and even if the batteries don't fall out, contact will be lost and you will have to wait what seems like an eternity for it to re-register. having good batteries is a help but, in saying that, i have to note that it's performance on rechargables is abysmal. (lower nominal voltage) So what's this? call it 4 problems. Turned off yet?

8- Really? Not more faults surely? Well one anyway. This little beast can be COLD. OK, the ambient temperature in your house or office is right up there and you haven't noticed. However, sitting there on the couch in your two layers of fleece and wooly socks while whatever heating you've got is struggling to keep the cold out, the aluminum body can suck the warmth right out of your fingers; aluminum being one of the better conductors of heat around.

So overall, If you can see past the slick styling that Apple undoubtably seduces us with, then you might just see this mouse as another triumph of styling over functionality. Oh and did I mention it's expensive?... happy mousing folks.

Posted on Sep 17, 2013 2:12:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2013 2:15:04 PM PDT
Steven says:
I own both the Logitech V470 Bluetooth Cordless Laser Mouse which I purchased from Amazon, and the Apple Mouse (which was standard issue with my iMac). Basically, I hate the Apple Mouse, for same reason as Narflar. You really do have to click it hard, and often find myself trying to do something as simple as a "Copy and Paste" multiple times (often having to "re-copy" what I want to Paste. I am not used clicking a mouse this hard to do something I take for granted with a PC. I may just try my Logitech V470 Bluetooth Cordless Laser Mouse with my iMac and see if it works better (something tells it will). BTW, the Apple Mouse chews thru batteries quickly.......so I purchased the Bulk Pack of "AA" batteries from Amazon as well. I will let you know how the Logitech V470 Bluetooth Cordless Laser Mouse works with my iMac.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (1,765 customer reviews)
 (1,000)