5.0 out of 5 stars A non-Christian comments, January 9, 2000
This review is from: Reason in the Balance: The Case Against Naturalism in Science, Law & Education (Paperback)
My doctoral dissertation is an investgation into the beliefs of scientists. Briefly I found that most scientists hold very metaphysical beliefs . When it comes to evolution most of them accept the current materialistic worldview but few of them defend it strongly. It is rather held because nothing else is around.
I started my investigation into Darwinism expecting to gradually understand it better and deepen my confidence in it. Naturally I began with the experts- Dawkins, Gould, Mayr, simpson . To date I have read over 50 books - some very detailed indeed. I have also taught biology at undergraduate level. The opposite has happened , it seems the more I study the more it appears that much of Darwinism, especially the overall materialistic , chance driven worldview seems to be held on faith rather than convincing evidence. Certainly it is a valid viewpoint but I was given to believe that there was little doubt in the matter.
Johnson's book is an enormous pleasure to read. His writing is beautifully lucid. He is honest about his Christian bias and , I feel, he gets right to the heart of the matter. Really this book deserves to be read by everyone. I personally find belief in God eeven less likely than Neo-Darwinism but I admire the way Johnson reveals his faith. I would love to correspond with a man like this - after reading his book I feel he is wise friend indeed.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 6, 2007 5:25:28 PM PDT
Professor says:
Mr. Kirkpatrick, I, like you, went into the field expecting to encounter the mounds of evidence for the "foundations" of my scientific discipline. By the time I finished my Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, and Biophysics, I was completely disillusioned with the lies and distortions of neo-Darwinian evolutionists. I think I was most disgusted by the arrogant, smug attitude of the researchers with whom I worked, who knew their pet theory had no substance but also knew the general public was too ignorant and timid to attempt to challenge them. This lack of evidence, coupled with the vitriolic hatred of most scientists for people who don't agree with them, persuaded me to leave the cult of evolution. I found they are a pathetic, vacuous group of fundamentalists, still clinging to the religion of naturalism.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2008 2:42:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2008 2:43:01 PM PDT
Thank you for your 'conversion' story. I hope that the world will start to see that the neo-darwinian emperor has no freakin clothes! I am not saying that we should get rid of evolutionary research; I am saying that it its dogmatic spin doctors need a swift kick in the pants to knock them and their theory off its metaphysical high horse.

I was born and raised a theist. In all my years of higher education in research, statistics, philosophy of science, and neuropsychology, I have never encountered anything in Naturalism and evolution that has made me question my beliefs about God. On the contrary, I have encountered much in theism, humanity, and the natural world that has made me question Naturalism and neo-darwinistic assumptions about the world.

Posted on Mar 13, 2010 1:08:27 PM PST
The problem with the previous commentators, Robert, Professor and Collingridge, is that they continually express themselves in terms of a lack of faith in, or a faint belief in god. Their god will always be a small "g" god until they learn that one can never step up to see a clear vision of God until they approach him through Jesus Christ. God is completely unknowable except through the agency of Christ. I suspect they avoid this man so that they can avoid appearing foolish to their friends and associates. Everyone experiences extreme discomfort when first introduced to him for his first direct eye-to-eye contact challenge is to leave your friends and possessions and follow him into the wilderness.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›