5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing, July 19, 2009
This review is from: Harry Potter Paperback Box Set (Books 1-7) (Paperback)
I, like many other people, used to dislike Harry Potter. I had never actually read the books, but for some reason looked down on Potter fans, thinking them to be a bit off color. I was certain that the whole thing was highly overrated and that it had been blown way out of proportion (like Twilight).

I could not have been more wrong. I finally read the books at the continuous urging of a friend in my junior year of high school, and they have become my favorite books of all time. I have already reread all seven books and stood in line for hours to see the midnight premiere of the newest movie.

When is the last time you have read a book and instantly wanted to pick it up and read it again? It doesn't happen often.

I can't even begin to tell you how incredible these books are. Not only are they very entertaining, but they are filled with the important themes of good vs. evil, the power of love, and the value of good choices. The characters in this book have become part of my life.

If you are at all hesitant to read this series because of its classification as a 'fantasy' series, I can assure you that you will not be disappointed. Yes, the book is about wizards and magic, but you would be shocked at how quickly the story pulls you in.

I can only ask you to PLEASE read the first book. If you like it, keep reading. If you don't, keep reading. The books get better as they progress, and I feel that the final chapters of the last book are some of the best reading I have ever done.

Also, do not judge these books from the movies. Everybody knows that the book is always better than the movie, and it's the same case here. The movies are great, but you need to read the books to fully appreciate what's happening and become a true Potter fan.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 2, 2009 12:26:34 AM PDT
That sounds alot like me in high school, although I think you sound like a more frequent reader. Anyway, good review!

Posted on Jan 21, 2010 4:55:01 PM PST
sunshine80 says:
I have to agree 100 percent- even down to the comment if you dont like- keep reading. Thats exactly what I did
But I do have to admit I love the Twilight series as well- but Harry Potter has a special place in my heart as well.
I also bought the movies after reading the series- and am on my second viewing.
Im just sorry it took me this long to meet Harry Potter and friends!!

Posted on Aug 6, 2010 5:40:54 PM PDT
What a very nice review.
don

Posted on Aug 9, 2010 12:18:53 AM PDT
Lux Amnesiac says:
It took me until after college to give the series a try. It was my New Year's resolution to read the series this year, and I was finished by February. Your review is so, so true.

Posted on Nov 29, 2010 5:12:00 PM PST
Very Nice review. I particularly like the fact that you emphasized that one needs to read the books to become a true fan. Thank you for that.

Posted on Dec 7, 2010 10:37:26 PM PST
Kara Hunter says:

Posted on Dec 9, 2010 1:06:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 25, 2011 1:05:59 AM PDT
Agree! "The movies are great, but you need to read the books to fully appreciate what's happening and become a true Potter fan."

Excellent review!

- author Sam

Posted on Jan 8, 2011 4:58:55 AM PST
David Frost says:
I read the first 3 books when I was in third or fourth grade many, many times and then the fourth (in about 3 days, no less) when it came out just before my fifth grade year started. By the time the next one had come around I had already lost interest and thought the series childish (lol, mind of a 13 year old). Here I am 11 years later finally getting back around to reading them all and loving it. Takes me right back to my childhood in a way nothing else does

Posted on Jan 8, 2011 5:40:38 PM PST
For those of you reading this who arent taking the whole dont judge the book by the movies point seriously, I should probably mention that I actually kind of dislike about half of the movies, 1st, 2nd, 4th, and the 5th. The 5th movie was the biggest disapointment of all of em, the others are just kind of eghh. The 5th one though was like watching one long a series of theatrical trailers with the way the story changed so fast. It doesnt even compare even slightly to the books. While I'm not such a big fan of the first book, books 3-7 are alot of fun. I havent seen pt 1 of the 7th film yet, but the 6th was great.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2011 5:47:34 PM PST
By the slight chance that you are right, I dont think that was really the point he was trying to make by the comparison. He was only using twilight as a an example. If twilight is by some far stretch even slightly enjoyable, another good comparison could have been the pet rock craze from the 1960s... That CLEARLY was overrated(as a kids craze it was overrated, as a marketing stradgy, unbelievably brilliant).
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (2,156 customer reviews)
 (1,588)