5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Pre-Makeup Moisturizer, June 16, 2011
This review is from: Olay Regenerist Advanced Anti-Aging Regenerating Serum Moisturizer Fragrance-Free 1.7oz (Health and Beauty)
I'm now 62. I have excellent, wrinkle free skin which I attribute to 3 main things, and if you are much younger and want to reach 62 with good skin, I'd advise you to read these 3 things and consider following them:
1) I never was a sun worshipper in my youth. In my teens and 20's, we didn't have the knowledge about sun damage that we have now. In fact, when I was a teen people slapped on suntan OIL to increase the sun's effects! Lucky for me, I just hated baking in the sun so I rarely did it. I've only had a few real "tans" in my life. I always hated being so white, but of course now I'm glad about all this in retrospect. So the lack of suntanning was possibly the #1 thing that was good, and that was actually pure luck as it turned out. Now, when I'm in the sun I really slather on the highest SPF possible and I just don't allow any tanning to take place.
2) I was never a smoker, and I was also a very light, occasional drinker. Lifetime smokers (particularly women) really do pay for this indulgence in their later years. Drinkers as well.
3) A certain degree of good genes probably helped, but I think it's mainly lifestyle, ladies. Everyone I know who was either one or more of these...a constant sun worshipper, a regular or heavy drinker, a smoker....these people now look 15 to 20 years older than I look. I am always mistaken for my 35 year old daughter's sister. My daughter has girlfriends who have been solid drinkers, and they now look older than I do. Drinking takes a toll on your skin. My suntanning/drinking/smoking classmates now greatly regret doing these things because of the cumulative bad effect it had on their looks. I didn't know my own lifestyle would so positively affect my skin 25 to 30 years later, but I'm oh-so-glad I made the choices I made. It was just luck, I guess, but those of you in today's world have the knowledge about all this and can affect your own outcome years down the road!

The next thing I feel has been hugely beneficial in keeping my skin great is that when I was in my mid to late 40's, I started using Retin A on a daily or every other day basis, and Retin A is now pretty affordable (generic now, but still prescription, though). A small tube goes a long long way because you use very little and spread it on your skin very lightly, and after the initial redness that goes with adjusting to its use (this ends fairly quickly), it is pretty much the only "miracle" product out there for good skin because it stimulates collagen production, a thing which diminishes with age and leads to wrinkled, less firm skin. Retinol products are good but much weaker, so go for the real thing. Get a prescription for Retin A and consider it a big part of your anti-aging regimen, but know that your results won't be as good if you continue to get suntans, if you smoke, if you drink a lot. You've got to make choices if you want good skin. Don't do body-damaging things and then expect to find a miracle cream to erase the damage magically...that's not going to happen with any product at any cost. No matter what they say in the ads, there is no real magic, and the closest thing to magic is good lifestyle choices and Retin A. Don't damage your skin, clean it properly, moisturize it properly, protect it properly with sunscreen.

Now to this Olay serum: I have extremely sensitive skin, so my challenge has always been to find good products that moisturize (more has been needed as I have aged) but don't irritate. Over the last 15 years I have tried an incredible array of "magical" products, especially the expensive ones in the department stores, brands including Lauder, Lancome, Chanel, Clinique, Mac, Prescriptives, Creme de la Mer, everything out there. The cost was horrendous trying these things, and most of them irritated or did nothing exceptional I could observe, and a great many of them were very irritating and I had to return them. I realized I merely needed moisture on my skin after a point and I needed something that didn't irritate or look greasy.

This Olay serum in its unscented version is THE best I've found, in the end. I use it in the morning only, and it is the best base for moisturizing prior to putting on foundation. It isn't the only product I use, by the way. I put it on LAST because of its silky texture. Before it, I use a moisturizer or sunscreen first. These days I use a mineral makeup (although I can get away with no makeup at all, and in fact, for most of my life I never used foundation). This serum goes on great with this product as a final base and leaves a lovely, silky texture. It never irritates. I usually buy 3.4 oz bottles at Costco for around $29 and it lasts for 6-8 months or more. There may be equally good buys on Amazon, which has the advantage of no tax.

I've tried most of the other Olay creams and lotions, and I like this one best.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 13, 2011 1:27:05 PM PDT
J. Burfield says:
Thank you for your in-depth review. I am 55 years old and just starting to go through menopause and my skin is changing like anything!! I too have very nice skin for my age but feel I need something extra because of the changes....I just bought some of this olay and wondered if I should put it on over my moisturizer or under it - after your comments, I am going to put it over it as a face primer for my makeup. I am currently using the MaryKay comb/oily skin moisturizer and like how it looks matte as compared to some that leave my skin looking oily but I don't think it has many antioxidants, etc. or an spf in it but cannot find a good moisturizer with those benefits for comb/oily skin??

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2014 2:18:27 AM PDT
I found this product was not that great on oily skin. It may be alright for women with dry to normal skin but isn't suitable for women like me with "adult" oily skin. I agree with the reviewer about the advantages of staying out of the sun etc but there are many other factors such as stress and illness that can affect aging as well.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›