3.0 out of 5 stars A Step Down In Quality, November 22, 2011
This review is from: Amazon Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Black (does not fit Kindle Paperwhite, Touch, or Keyboard) (Accessory)
I owned a Kindle Keyboard for about a year, and I purchased the leather lighted case for that unit. While the corner light left a little to be desired as far as even lighting, overall I was very pleased with the case. Based on that experience, I went ahead and purchased the lighted cover for my new Kindle. I can't say this experience has as been as positive.

Let's start off with what's good about the case. The Kindle battery powered light is a big improvement. The light is now centered on the screen, so illumination is more even now. I don't use the light often, but in the cases where I do it will be nice to have more balanced coverage. One positive on the case itself is that I appreciate how much lighter this one feels than the previous generation. The hinge area is smaller, which means less of the "spine folding" effect the other one took on after heavy use. I never took my Kindle Keyboard out of the case after it was put in, so the snug fit I have seen complaints about is not an issue for me. It IS tight, though, so if you don't plan to keep the case on full time be aware it may take some effort to get it back out. In my situation, that tight fit is exactly what I want, but your mileage may vary.

Now on to the negatives. The case does feel very cheap, especially with no change in price point. The previous cover felt like a solidly made piece of work, whereas the new cover only feels half as sturdy. The thinness of the case was no doubt done to minimize its weight, so I realize this is a personal issue. Outside the thickness, though, it just doesn't look or feel as well made. The textured surface of the previous model you that leather feel, very much like a real book. Finally, the most stunning oversight is the lack of a closure device. I understand some people didn't like the elastic band, but SOMETHING should have been added to allow the case to stay securely closed.

Overall, this is an average if overpriced case. It's not bad, but in comparison to what came before I have to admit I feel like the quality took a step backward me while maintaining a high price point.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 26, 2011 2:01:56 PM PST
Where is the battery located my has quit working after a very short time

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 7:06:57 PM PST
EarthGirl says:
Item specifies that there is no battery. Light is powered from connection to the kindle. Perhaps you have insufficient charge left on the Kindle to power the light?? Try charging and if no improvement return the cover?

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 8:16:37 PM PST
dqueenbee says:
I have to agree with the comment concerning price. I have the Touch which cost $99. In comparison, $59 for a lighted cover seems out of whack.

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 1:23:15 PM PST
M. Buttner says:
I want to get a lighted cover, but definitly want a closure on the cover. Is this possible?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2012 10:29:28 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 7, 2012 10:30:18 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 12:18:52 PM PST
Bradley says:
Thanks Joseph. I was considering buying the cover as a gift for friends and was hoping to be able to buy the original lighted leather cover case you refer to with the light positioned in the top right hand corner. I have one, and its so leather realistic and i like the sharp that holds it closed. I wander if i can get a second hand one online here? I'll have a look. But i love the original, and agree - it sounds like it was designed by committee in this case - a compromise?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2012 5:43:38 AM PST
Anonymous says:
Bradley - keep in mind that the cover you are describing (with the light in the upper right corner) is for the Kindle Keyboard only. If your friends have the new Kindle 4 or the Kindle Touch, that cover will NOT fit it. All 3 Kindles are different sizes so you have to buy the cover that's specific to that Kindle size.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2012 5:47:34 AM PST
Bradley says:
Thanks J. I was impulsive and bought the cover last night, and only after the fact - checked with my pal which Kindle he had. Fortunately its the same as mine - the Kindle Keyboard.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2012 3:21:52 PM PST
Mermaid says:
I don't have this cover (checking out reviews to decide on which one I want), but could you use a large rubber band to keep the cover closed?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2012 10:14:39 PM PST
Bradley says:
I managed to find the cover on Amazon. I searched for second hand, and then found a link to brand new ones still available from Amazon. I have it now - pleased as punch, and with no regrets. The newer cover just isn't as practical as the classic original.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›