Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

5.0 out of 5 stars Consistent waffling, February 12, 2006
This review is from: Cuisinart WMR-CA Round Classic Waffle Maker (Kitchen)
Update: Daily use, keeps going and turns out excellent waffles.
I mentioned below that waffle batter can be stored in the fridge. Try leaving it out overnight. The batter turns slightly sour, and still makes great waffles, but with a sourdoughish flavor that is pure heaven with maple syrup. And you can make some and leave it next to the waffle iron the previous night so all you have to wait for in the morning is for this waffle maker to heat up.

Interesting that this product is getting polarized reviews. Either very good or terrible. Here's my experience and then comments others might find useful.

- I made a batch of chocolate waffles to freeze (to reheat and serve with ice-cream). All 14 turned out perfect. Before that, I made 7 regular waffles that came out GBD - Golden Brown and Delicious. All I did was follow the light and use settings from 3 to 4.
- Going back and forth to get my preferred color was easy because 3 was still 3 after going to 4 (and a bit more). The initial and subsequent uses didn't cause variations in the color. Good design.
- Wiped all of it clean with a wet kitchen napkin. Easy.
- Miles ahead of my last waffle iron, which required a lot of guessing and waffle rejection.
- DON'T open the lid until you see the ready light. Or bye bye waffles. They do not like to be disturbed until ready.
- A good recipe is important. Don't use pancake mix, which is simply a combination of the dry ingredients formulated for pancakes and not waffles. Besides it's a rip-off, like selling $1 unglazed tile as a $20 pizza stone.
- Here's my adaptation of a Good Eats recipe: 2 cups all purpose flour, tsp baking powder, half tsp baking soda, tsp salt, 3 tablespoons sugar. Whisk together thoroughly. Combine 1/2 qt whole buttermilk or pint full fat yogurt + pint milk and 2/3 stick melted butter and pour into dry stuff. Mix with rubber spatula for ten seconds (don't overmix, small lumps will be ok). Leave for about 5-10 min. Turn on waffle iron, spray plates with pam or similar spray. Drop two ice-cream scoop-sized blobs slightly behind the middle and let the lid down. Setting: 3-4. Remove when green light comes back on. Easy. Excess can be stored overnight in an airtight box in the fridge.

If I could wish for anything more, it would be for a ready light that was visible from the far end of my long kitchen. The light is designed to be in sight of a normal height person doing other stuff nearby. I have a long kitchen so the light is barely visible from my sink on the other side. Since then I've been listening for the "click" that flips the red light to the green.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 24, 2008 7:06:12 PM PST
Seth Kline says:

Posted on Apr 2, 2009 5:38:47 PM PDT
This review was very helpful as I admire Alton Brown and am looking for a waffle iron to live up to his standards. This reviewer is obviously a fan and I will take his/her advice. Thanks!

Posted on Sep 15, 2009 8:52:11 AM PDT
Thanks for your review and recipe. I actually had to cut and paste it, bc I make a terrible waffle mix. My husband loves them so I think I will have a go with this one!

Posted on Oct 14, 2009 5:43:35 PM PDT
Sandra says:
Very helpful the way you outlined your processes. Thanks so much.

Posted on Nov 28, 2009 9:40:25 PM PST
Uke-kyun says:
This is the best review of any waffle iron I have been considering. You may have just sold me on this (much cheaper) one. If this iron works as well as your review claims (and I think it will for someone who carefully follows the hints to a better experience), it means saving the money to buy the pizza stone and not having to use unglazed tile instead. :) Thanks for the recipe, as well. I have lost mine (a good one), with two cross-country moves in the last year.

Posted on Apr 7, 2011 10:10:15 PM PDT
Thank you Manish Laxmikant for the recipe. I tried it tonight and my family loved them. I have been looking for a really good recipe for waffles, and this is the ONE. All the others just did not have a very good flavor. Thank you for taking the time to share your recipe in such detail. Definitely a keeper. The waffle iron worked very well also. Glad I got it.

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 12:54:27 AM PST
Carol Ann says:
I'm confused by the lack of punctuation in the "Buttermilk or..." in the ingred. list. Use the yogurt, milk, and melted butter ONLY if you don't use the buttermilk? Or is the melted butter used either way?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2011 8:35:10 AM PST
I'm pretty sure the recipe is supposed to read:
1/2 qt whole buttermilk (or 1 pint full fat yogurt combined with 1 pint milk)
2/3 stick melted butter

The yogurt and milk is a substitute for the buttermilk. The acid reacts with the baking soda.
The butter is meant to make the waffle crisp. You need the butter whether you're using buttermilk or a mix of milk and yogurt.

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 10:36:13 AM PST
Stripey says:
No egg in the recipe?

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 10:00:44 AM PDT
Browsing for a waffle maker after seeing the Good Eats episode with Alton's suggestions on what to look for in one. So glad to find a review from someone who uses it based off his recipe! Adding to my cart now, thank you for the review!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›