5.0 out of 5 stars A short book filled with good information....., May 28, 2011
This review is from: Happiness from the Inside Out: The Art and Science of Fulfillment (Paperback)
Over the last few years I have tried to make a conscious effort to do more for myself in regards to my happiness. Some of the things involved doing yoga more, spending more time doing things I love and reading a bit more about happiness and how your thoughts impact not only your happiness, but oftentimes your health and well-being.

One of the first books I read was the Dalai Lama's "The Art of Happiness". I then received a copy of Robert Mack's "Happiness from the Inside Out". The book is short, at under 200 pages but it is absolutely full of good information. No mind blowing insights, but good information that you may know but need to hear once again to bring into practice. Now I would not say I'm a pessimist or an optimist really, sometimes I guess I can be a bit of both. When I asked my mother what she thought, when asked if I was a glass half empty or full kind of person, she countered with "You would say the glass is just half, it is what it is...." So, I guess I am a bit of a realist who yearns to take the happier road if I can.

The chapters in the book are short, with a few main points listed at the end as "take-aways" from each chapter. I liked Robert Mack's style. Reading his book was like getting advise from a good friend. He isn't always "up", but he knows what to do when he starts to feel like happiness is escaping his grasp and gives us an incite on how to do the same.

The sections that most stick with me are those that tell you that you can't change people around you. I work in a place that often has negative emotions or feelings and sometimes I find it difficult to deal with people who don't try to make the best of a situation. He speaks to this in that you can't change them, but you can change how you feel about the situation. You can have good and bad things happen and it isn't necessarily your circumstance that makes you happy or not, but how you feel about the situation. This involves training your mind with more positive thoughts then negative ones and practicing it like you would an instrument or something you wanted to excel at. After all, your happiness is at stake here, is a little practice too much to ask? Getting over the "Grass is Always Greener" thought is another good one. He tells you to pay attention to your own lawn. Know that how you choose to think about a situation really can make a difference. You also have to learn to make your happiness a priority. Not with reckless abandon and indulgence, but in knowing what makes you happy and what doesn't and pursuing the things that make you feel happy and at peace. You will not be successful or happy if you are looking to others to "complete" you. Of course a good cornerstone of happiness is being happy with where you are and in showing appreciation or gratitude for what you have and where you are. I find sometimes that when I drive to work on a day where I don't feel so fabulous that listing out the things I am grateful for really does make me feel blessed with where I am and what I have and I end up feeling happier once I have done this, no matter how hokie it may sound... It is all good information that we of course know, but that somehow we need to hear in order to get on the right track.

I will definitely keep this book on my nightstand as a reminder that happiness is a choice I can make every day and every moment. I decide on my reactions and how I decide to view my situations and the world. I am not a victim of the world but empowered to make my own decision.

Overall, a great book that most people could benefit from reading. Mr. Mack aside from being a life-coach also has a masters degree in positive psychology. I loved the book and would definitely recommend it for all of us who are interested in happiness and how to train our minds to get there.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]