Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

4.0 out of 5 stars TERA goes F2P 05 February, this is why you should still buy!, February 1, 2013
This review is from: Tera Online (Software Download)
I wrote this as a reply to a one star review but felt that it could be helpful out in the open. This is not a review per say, but some good info to somebody considering a purchase. Basically, why should I buy this game if it is going F2P? .... oh, if you must know my opinion of the game, it is grindy (very fetch quest heavy) but the combat is awesome (no tab targeting). I give it a solid 4 out of 5.

If you buy the game ($9.99 digital version from Amazon / $19.99 digital version directly from EnMasse / $19.99 box version from retailers) your account will have "Founder" status. Here are the differences:

FOUNDER vs F2P
- 8 character slots per server vs 2 - You may BUY more if you are not a Founder
- 4 bank tabs instead of 1 (288 vs 72) - You may BUY more if you are not a Founder
- Founder status mount (Exclusive Terminus Mount) - Not purchaseable
- Unlimited sending gold in game mail vs 10 gold cap per message
- Auction House (Broker) simultaneous postings 30 vs 10
- In game "Founder" Title - if that matters to you
IF YOU BUY ALL THE "PURCHASEABLES" ON A F2P ACCOUNT, EXPECT TO PAY $$$$$ (projected up in the area between $50-100, if not more. How else are they going to make money from a F2P subscriber?) ....Heck, the ELITE status (people who join the F2P community, never buying the game, and decides to pay $14.99 a month for Elite exclusive perks) don't even get character slots and bank inventory perks!!) $19.99 doesn't sound so bad now, huh?

Not only that. You also receive in-game bonuses for buying the game. Digital and Boxed copies have different perks. IMHO, Boxed is better:

Digital from Amazon ($9.99)
Founder perks from above
No other perks!

Digital from EnMasse ($19.99), NOT AMAZON: (potential "meh" altaholic package)
Electrum Wind Mount - Single Use (One Character), Riding Speed: 280, Level 1
Level 10 City Wheel Earring
Level 15 Velik's Bloodstone Necklace
Safe Haven Teleport Scrolls (10) - dime a dozen in game

Boxed from Amazon ($19.99): (potential gold boost package)
Tawny Huntress Mount (worth a lot in game if sold, approx 2000g)
Two Emeralds (1000g each - vendor trash)
Two Semi-Enigmatic Scrolls

I hope I have informed the curious.

Cheers!!

Edit: I have edited this to note that the Amazon digital version does not come with the "Digital" perks. You must purchase through the EnMasse website but it's $19.99 there. You could still buy the Amazon digital version for $9.99 and receive all the Founder perks, just nothing extra. Either digital (Amazon or EnMasse), or boxed, it's still not that bad for Founder perks!

Edit: Changed it to read "approximately 2000g total if all sold" .... it was previously just 2000g, making it sound like you received 2000g as another perk. Very misleading. Sorry, folks.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 1, 2013 12:31:42 AM PST
Jacob says:
Epic review! Wahaha!

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 12:49:38 PM PST
Spaghett says:
Just to let you know you can only get the Quickstart pack
(Digital: (potential "meh" altaholic package)
Electrum Wind Mount - Single Use (One Character), Riding Speed: 280, Level 1
Level 10 City Wheel Earring
Level 15 Velik's Bloodstone Necklace
Safe Haven Teleport Scrolls (10) - dime a dozen in game)

if you buy directly through EnMasse website and its 19.99 there.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 6:17:45 PM PST
Ariakys says:
Good info if true!! Sorry if I mislead anybody. I will edit my post. Thanks, Charleyes. I was under the impression that any "digital" code provided the pack.

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 1:13:33 AM PST
E. C says:
Guys, i downloaded the 25 gb's version from the website, and played the game for like 10 mins cuz of the lag, but i already bought a 660 ti for that. Will i get these(bellow) if i buy the digital one? 9.99$?
- 8 character slots per server
- 4 bank tabs
- Founder status mount
- Unlimited sending gold in game mail
- Auction House (Broker)
- In game "Founder" Title
And do i have to download the game again, or amazon provides you a code for the Founder thing?

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 7:01:52 PM PST
Are you saying it gives you 2000 gold, or that you can sell the stuff for 2000 gold? I got the stuff, but I don't see any gold.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 9:07:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2013 10:54:16 PM PST
Ariakys says:
T.Smith: I should of put parenthesis around the 2000g. I'm sorry if I mislead you. That was the approximate amount you should receive if you sold the items. That was piss poor for me to label it that way. I will fix it.

E.C.: If you already have an account (downloaded it earlier), you can still add a code, whether retail or digital, to go "Founder." You should not have to do anything but patch your current client. To answer your question on the code, I would have to say "yes" Amazon will provide the code for Founder, but I have never used a digital copy. I have the retail version. Sorry it took so long to reply. I did not see your post until I received a message in my email referring to T.Smith's quote.....this is all probably pointless to you now...

Posted on May 21, 2013 5:59:29 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 21, 2013 10:52:35 AM PDT]

Posted on Dec 5, 2014 4:51:21 AM PST
The tawny huntress is worth about 20k gold if sold, not just 2k.

Posted on May 7, 2015 2:42:47 PM PDT
Hey, quick question. So I bought the collector's edition way back when, before it was F2P, so I already have founder status. However, I'm on a new computer now, and limited (30g/mo) internet. (Gross.)
This game is pretty hefty to just up and download. If I buy this old boxed edition, and install it, do you happen to know approximately how many (gigs) of patches I'll have to download on-top of it?

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2015 12:58:27 AM PDT
Ariakys says:
Sorry it took so long to reply. I had to find my discs and find the time to attempt a re-install. So, I have some bad news, unless you can find a workaround. I installed the game from the discs (25gigs worth) and tried to patch. I figured it would be easy to take that number I see and post it here. I received an error attempting to patch: "unable to unzip manifest". From a little research, it appears that the problem is that since they have updated the launcher to a newer version a couple years ago, the disc launcher does not know how to patch the game. I hope you can find a workaround and sorry I could not answer your question on the patch size. Here is a link explaining, and possibly providing a solution, to the problem:

‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›