4.0 out of 5 stars Useful but could be better, needs bright light for good video quality, June 19, 2014
This review is from: Zetta Z16 Wide Angle 720p HD Intelligent Security Camcorder (Electronics)
I received my Zetta Z16 within just a few days of ordering it and it arrived well packaged and in good condition. The included documentation is very minimal and there is no software included. The programming widget can be downloaded from the Zetta web site.

No microSD card is included. I purchased a 64gig card which according to Zetta requires formatting in a specific manner with software that again can be downloaded from their site. I followed their formatting directions and my class 10 64gig card worked fine.

The camera can be triggered by sound, motion, vibration, or via a user programmed schedule. It can also use a combination of those modes. All but the vibration activation mode constitutes continuous operation which is about 10 hours of use I get from a full battery charge. The vibration activation mode can be left on for up to several weeks depending on how often the camera triggers. I wish the motion activation was more like the game trail cameras with a separate motion sensor. That way it could be used for longer periods in that mode without draining the battery. However I also understand the camera would then likely be significantly larger.

My camera seems to record for a minimum of about 5 minutes after a trigger event activates it. The time it records for each trigger event is not user selectable and cannot be changed. I'd like to see the option to change that in the widget because less than a minute would suite my needs and result in smaller saved video files so more events could be stored on the memory card. The maximum length of the recorded video files can be set via the widget to 10, 15, and 20 minute lengths.

The quality of the video at it highest settings is pretty good as long as there is plenty of light. The video quality degrades significantly in indoor lighting though it is still useful. The 160 degree view is very wide and I would imagine cover most any room. There is some distortion as would be expected from such a wide viewing angle.

Recorded sound quality is much better than I expected though be aware of the potential legal consequences if you record someone on audio without their consent. The microphone can be disabled using the widget software.

I have not used any of the car modes so I cant comment on those features.

Overall I think this is useful camera for surveilling an area for periods of 10 hours or less. My 3 star rating was based on not being able to set the minimal triggered event record duration to less than 5 minutes (its not programmable at all), the mediocre (at best) indoor/low light video quality and I wish it had more standby time in motion trigger mode.

UPDATE (6-22-14): Based on feedback from Spy Tec I upgraded my Z16's firmware from version 1.1.002 to 1.1.003 which became available on Zetta's site a couple of days ago. The new firmware now has my Z16 recording for 2 minutes minimum after the last triggered event rather than the previous 5 minutes as reported in my review. I still wish the duration was user selectable but this firmware update is enough of an improvement for me to change my rating from 3 to 4 stars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 20, 2014 11:30:12 AM PDT
Spy Tec says:
Hi,

For the minimum recording time, it should be two minutes. If within 2 minutes, there is a trigger, the Z16 will extend 2 more minutes
and so on and so forth. You should try upgrading to firmware 1.1.3 if it isn't working that way.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2014 5:25:34 AM PDT
Will a MicroSDHC (Class 4 or higher) card work in this device? Or does it have to be just MicroSD?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2014 11:59:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2014 11:59:56 AM PDT
JNB says:
Thank you for the comment Spy Tec, I will try firmware 1.1.3.
I've checked my Z16 several times using all the trigger option and it always records a minimum file time of 4:58 other than when first powering it up. That file is about 10 seconds as the manual states. I'll report back here when I have a chance to try the new firmware.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2014 12:02:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2014 12:02:41 PM PDT
JNB says:
Bargainhunter I am using a SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC card. Sorry I wasn't specific in the review. I cant comment on any other cards as I haven't tried anything else yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2014 6:15:48 AM PDT
JNB says:
The upgrade to firmware ver 1.1.003 does indeed now have my Z16 recording for only 2 minutes after the last triggered event. Definitely an improvement from the previous 5 minutes I had been experiencing.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2014 7:44:12 PM PDT
David says:
MicroSDHC (class 4 or higher)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›