5.0 out of 5 stars BoDeans keep on doing their thing., July 30, 2011
This review is from: Indigo Dreams (Audio CD)
For me, the BoDeans have always been one of those bands that I've liked for a combination of their lyrics and/or their sound. Their M.O. is to have songs with either great lyrics, a great vibe sound, or both (which is what makes them a great band).

Therefore, I'm always anxious to listen to each new CD to see what makes it tick - the lyrics, the vibe, or both. In my opinion, their first 5 CDs hit on all cylinders for all of the songs - each had great lyrics and vibe. Since then, Blend, Resolution, Still, and Mr. Sad Clown have been a different animal. Those latest CDs had some great lyric songs and some great vibe songs, but not as many that had both (as compared to before). Don't get me wrong, though, all are still very good (especially for BoDeans fans). Some of my favorite all-time BoDeans songs are on those latest 4 CDs.

So, that brings me to Indigo Dreams. When I first popped it in the CD player, I quickly did a 30-second sample of each song and thought to myself, hmmmm, wonder how well I will like it. I then gave it a full listen, and then looked at the lyrics, and gave it a second full listen. Bottom line - I really like it. Definitely a worthy addition to my BoDeans collection.

For those who are interested, here's a song-by-song assessment with my scale of 1-10 (10=best):

9 = BLOWIN MY MIND - great vibe and lyrics to start the CD.
10 = PAVED IN GOLD - one of Sam's best songs ever. Really a great reflection on how life doesn't always turn out like we think, yet life often still turns out for the best (even if it's the "little things").
7 = RIGHT NOW - neat lyrics about the crazy world we live in. Kind of a "60's music" vibe.
10 = HOW CAN WE - one of my favorite songs. Has an "anthem" beat to it.
10 = WAY DOWN - another one of my favorite songs. Really great vibe. Kind of reminds me of a cross between Nobody Loves Me (Resolution) and Feed the Fire (Go Slow Down). Very catch song that will stick in your head.
8 = SAD EYES - neat nostalgic lyrics about memory lane.
9 = WRAP ME - catchy song with great harmonies.
10 = ME AGAIN - great song by Sam. Reminds me of a peppy style of Far Far Away from My Heart (Home). Sam's gift (and probably torment) is that he writes great songs while being bogged down in the "dark" things in life. This song is about that and it is one of the best on the CD.
7 = DON'T WANNA GO HOME - short lyrics. Vibe is ok. Not one of my favorites, though.
9 = ROCK N ROLL OVERDRIVE - more of a traditional rock vibe (I think by design). Great lyrics about the challenge of being a "popular" rock and roll band and the struggles you go through. This seems almost like an autobiographical confession that the band had to get off their chest, similar to when they wrote "Stay On" back on the Go Slow Down CD. After their legal troubles a few years ago, I don't blame them and this song I can sympathize is necessary!
9 = FATHER'S DAY - definitely not a pick-me-up vibe, but the lyrics and subject matter are top-notch about their dad (I think Kurt's). Sad, tragic, but at the same time relief. Touching song, for sure.
9 = PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS - traditional rock vibe. Good lyrics. Overall, it's "ok", but I think it will grow on me.
7 = MERCY - kind of an unusual song to end the CD on. Lyrically and vibe-wise, reminds me of Pretty Ghost (Still). It is definitely deep subject matter, but I'm not sure what to think after listening to it.

So, overall I give this 5 stars. Of the 13 songs, I'd rate a four a 10 and five a 9, and nothing below a 7. I think the band has done a nice job with the lyrics on this, probably their best of recent CDs. Sound-wise, they probably won't be playing any high-school rave anytime soon as the new songs don't have as much of that sing-a-long/blues/bebop that they used to have. However, as they age (as do I) their sound is still fresh and has a nice balance of melancholy and middle-of-the-road beats.

If you're interested at all in the BoDeans, definitely buy this CD. This band hopefully will be continuing to write great music and will be putting out additional CDs for many years to come.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]