5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best accessories I've bought., January 22, 2011
This review is from: Fotodiox Nikon Macro Extension Tube Kit for Nikon Cameras, Extreme Close-ups (Camera)
See my pics (Philip R. Tarpley).

I am going to make this short(ish). I currently own a Nikon D5000, 18-55 kit lens, 70-300 tele, and the 50mm 1.4 prime. I have been eyeballing a macro but knew it would be a while before I could swing for one. After some research, I stumbled upon this macro extension tube and for the money I figured I couldn't be too disappointed.

I knew the limitations before I bought it: you will shoot in 100% manual, no TTL flash, no metering, no focus, and MOST IMPORTANT, you cannot adjust aperture through the camera.

All my Nikon lenses have a physical lever on the end of the lens which adjusts the aperture in the lens...so I was able to make aperture adjustments by slipping a piece of rubber band around the lever. Many people may cringe at the idea of this, but it doesn't bother me. Just know that w/o doing this you will be shooting w/the minimum aperture your lens supports. You will likely need 10 seconds or more to expose an image if you do nothing. If you have a lens w/an aperture ring, this is not an issue. With me able to shoot w/the lens wide open (or anywhere in between), I have had a lot of fun w/this extension tube.

The tube is made entirely of aluminum and fits well w/the camera/lenses. As some have mentioned the threads are fine and if you were to tighten it cross-threaded you will ruin it...not surprising. In the end, this is a great deal and allows you to get photos you couldn't dream of w/o a dedicated macro lens costing hundreds of dollars...I'm very happy.

Keep in mind that w/this tube you will no longer be able to focus to infinity...the depth of field is incredibly thin. You will need to move the camera to achieve focus; the focus ring on the lens will not be enough.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 12, 2011 3:27:14 PM PST
Hello Philip, i have the same set of camera and lens and i have just bought the tube extension and was giving it a try with my 50mm 1.8, maybe a stupid question, but how can i detach the tube from the len ? Threadding, pressing it ? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2011 4:24:13 AM PST
P. Tarpley says:
I'm assuming you got it by now, but I'll answer.

I actually had a bit of a problem with that at first as well. There is a little silver knob on the lens-end of the extension tube. To detach the lens from the tube, you need to slide the knob away from the lens. This pulls the retaining pin out of the lens and allows you to twist the lens off.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2011 2:49:47 PM PDT
Tushar Koley says:
Hi Philip,
Thanks for the good review. When I tried to use it with my D500 Camera it says no lens attached. I am not sure why? Is this the way we are expecting this? Am I doing anything wrong? Everything else looks normal. It can still take photos but quality is too bad.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2011 6:50:41 AM PDT
P. Tarpley says:
Yes, this is normal. This tube has no electronics so the camera has no idea a lens is attached. This is why you must put the camera in full manual and adjust everything by hand (right down to manipulating aperature).

It is a pain, I know, but your only other option is to buy a pretty pricey tube w/electronics, or splurge for a macro lens.

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 6:14:23 PM PST
Bombastus says:
Hi Philip,
You wrote "All my Nikon lenses have a physical lever on the end of the lens which adjusts the aperture in the lens...so I was able to make aperture adjustments by slipping a piece of rubber band around the lever. Many people may cringe at the idea of this, but it doesn't bother me. Just know that w/o doing this you will be shooting w/the minimum aperture your lens supports". I have the same lenses but don't have a clue what you are talking about. Clearly I must be complete ignorant. I would very much appreciate if you could explain the above trick with the lever (which one is it?) and rubber band slipped around the lever? Thanks

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 6:15:23 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 10, 2012 6:15:51 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 6:18:32 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 10, 2012 6:18:54 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 11:04:02 AM PST
P. Tarpley says:
Take a look at this photo: http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/images1/35mm-f2-ais/KEN_9301-rear.jpg

You can see a black lever toward the right side of the lens. This lever is spring loaded and will normally reside at minimum aperture. I simply moved the lever by hand then took a small section of rubber band and jammed it in there. I'd fiddle w/it until I got the desired aperture.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 11:10:44 AM PST
Bombastus says:
OK, thanks, I got it now.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›