5.0 out of 5 stars For the money, fantastic product & beyond!, March 27, 2010
I posted this "mini review" on a well known forum, seems there are a lack of reviews on this product, so, hope this helps.

Well, I finally got my PL-200 today. I have been testing and calibrating for the last couple hours.

I did a comparison of the PL-200 versus my Axiom EP350 sub. PL-200 = $329.00 and my EP350 = $758.00

The results surprised me, but not so much really. I will just go ahead say this. The PL-200 kicked my EP350's arse!

Now, keep in mind, I have much more testing to do. I first adjusted both subs to 75db using my digital sound level meter. C weighted & set to slow. The first thing that caught my attention was while running my test tones starting at 80HZ down to 15hz for each sub independently, was my EP350 would not even register any decibels at 22hz. The PL-200 easily hit 76db @22hz. I knew then the Axiom sub was in trouble.

Then I went on and ran MCACC at full auto, tweaked my levels, then ran MCACC advanced mode keeping the speaker settings.

I first played a lot of favorite songs, from the deep bass of "Peg" from Steely Dan to Dream Theater to Queensryche to Metallica's Black CD. The PL-200 filled out my room (4500cuft) nicely, no boominess, no muddiness, just clean well rounded tight bass. Kick drums hit hard and in my face. I pretty much compared a lot of songs with and without the Axiom sub.

I have each sub in the far corners of the room right outside my Axiom M80 towers. I must say I'm lovin the PL-200 so far.

Unfortunately, I only have 1 Blue ray disc at this time and it was Twilight New Moon. Not the best movie for lows. But, I'll have to wait for some more movies from Netflix to test the PL-200 further.

But what I did hear (both subs running) was nothing short of amazing. I can't imagine how Dark Knight or Transformers will sound. Because some of the wolf fighting scenes in Twilight rocked the house, everything was shaking. I could "feel" and hear the walls rattle.

So to summarize the PL-200 with just a couple hours of use, I would say this:

If I had to do this over again, I would have just bought 2 PL-200's instead of the Axiom and saved some money. The PL-200 is an incredible value and when cranked up some, will produce test tones down to 20hz and 18hz nicely. The Axiom EP350 just can't do that, and it's more than twice the price. I'll try to report back here when I get some more bass intense movies, plus I need to tweak some more.

As a side note, I'm really thinking about replacing the PL-200 stock amp with the 500 watt Bash amp, just for fun. But believe me, the stock amp rocks! This is more than enough low end thunder that I will ever need. I just can't see investing $1200.00 plus for a high end sub. One of the reasons I went for the PL-200 to begin with was I wanted 2 subs and I can spend the money I saved, on the Velodyne SMS-1 Sub Eq. I should be ordering the SMS-1 in a couple weeks. This will round out my system for awhile.

Below is my gear if anyone is interested: Take care!

52" Samsung HDTV, Axiom M80 fronts, VP100 center, EP350 subwoofer, Samson Surrounds, Pioneer VSX9040 HDMI AVR, Odyssey Khartago Monoblock Extremes,
Xbox 360, Sony PS3

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 15, 2010 8:24:57 AM PST
K. Kusimba says:
"walls rattling" did catch my attention about build quality of homes (Assuming you are in the USA). Quick question, do you think solid cement/concrete walls makes a difference in sound? And if so why?

Posted on Jan 25, 2011 2:09:50 AM PST
A. Mahr says:
As a disclaimer I would like to say that I do not hate bic products in general, I believe that the Bic F12 and the Bic H100 may be a good sub at their price and may be a real value. They are all priced at close to $200 and their specs almost look that of the Bic VK-12. My only gripe is that the Bic VK-12 and the Bic PL 200 specs are overpriced and overhyped and should cost only slightly more than the other subs.

I understand the reviews and excitement of the other subs cause the price is great, but with the Bic VK-12 and PL 200 people are flat out lying about their value and specs, when compared to other subs in their price range. To give you an example of the this. In one PL-200 Review, the reviewers subject title is subs goes to 5hz. Yep thats right 5hz. There is only 1 subwoofer in the world credited with the ability to do that and it's a rotary subwoofer that cost $25,000.

In another instance of I believe the PL-200 the reviewer says that his sub is better than his axiom and that it is awesome, but he said he think that he might replace the amp with a 500 watt bash, why would you buy a supposed great valued sub that supposedly sounds great only to spend $250 to $300 on a new amp. C'mon man thats totally ridiculous. People want this sub to be something it's not and will say anything and do anything to say the Bic VK-12 and PL-200 are great even when it's not. If it works great why would you try to fix it. If you want Boom Boom Boom buy something else if you Boomy Boomy Boomy click add to cart.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2011 2:06:50 PM PST
TROLL ^

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2011 7:32:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 30, 2011 7:34:54 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011 9:24:15 AM PST
rinney says:
you may have an outstanding amp. why come here to waste your time to complain about a amp?? why does it hurt your feelings that others enjoy this brand?? now i know you wont come here and answer these questions, youll just type some more crap and avoid the questions altogether. you must be a trolling competitor or a guy who does not wanna admit he blew too much money and didnt get any improment. your loss

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011 11:32:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 31, 2011 11:34:50 AM PST
A. Mahr says:
"why come here to waste your time to complain about a amp?"

Because I was dooped in to buying this overpriced garbage and I don't want anyone else to be, by lying fanboys such as yourself.

"why does it hurt your feelings that others enjoy this brand?"

Doesn't hurt my feelings that people enjoy this brand. It makes me mad that people like you, and sound distributors lie about the specs to sell this overpriced sub to people. I love the fact the H100 is considered a bargain and that it provides a step from HTIB subs at a good value. But the Bic VK-12 and PL-200 can't touch their competitors at their price.

I simply want people to understand the value of their upgrade. Here's how it should be done.

1. HTIB Sub
2. Bic H100/Cadencee
3. Klipsch Sub 12 or Preferrable SVS, HSU, ED Subs.

That is the order to go with, people would have you believe the Bic VK 12 or PL 200 is a step up from the H100 or Cadence, it's not, my cadence sounded better than the Bic VK-12. Sure if you upgraded from a HTIB straight to a Bic Vk-12 you would be stunned by how it sounded, but what you wouldn't know is that if you had only spent $20 you could begin to enter the realm of the unbelievable. This is why I come back, I want to make sure not 1 more person is lied to about what this sub has to offer. They got me once, but I'm going to do everything in my power to assure people understand what they are and are not getting with this overpriced piece of junk.

Also about the trolling competitor crap, I don't think if I were a competitor I'd be worried about a product with 7 reviews or that I would be telling people to buy between 4 different brands of other subs. Your the only one fighting for a specific product line.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2011 9:01:19 AM PST
rinney says:
well,i'll tell you what, i have ordered the h-100, i will come to that review section after i check the sub out. as for the others, i dont have them and dont care. but dont you think people will see all the reviews for bic products and go with that instead of what you say?? and also so far i have the dv62's and the fh6, and i am happy with them, they sound good. have you tried any of the regular bic speakers?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2011 9:46:22 AM PDT
I thought I would shed some "light" on the subject here for those looking at the Bic PL-200 as I can see both sides of posts above. I am in NO WAY trying to get into a "posting" debate so lets make that clear, I just want o give some readers an honest approach on the subject at hand. I own a Bic PL-200 and simply LOVE it!! YES.. I did move up from a HTIB (Onkyo) so I do agree with what A. Mahr is trying to say, but I will have to disagree with a few things that he had mentioned. I can only comment on the Pl-200 and not the VK-12 since I have not herd that but I will strongly disagree with the PL-200 being "over priced" to start out with. From a personal note ( as you can take this with a grain of salt since this is MY personal view) I can say I have herd two upper line subs thanks to a couple of friends that own them here in town. The PL-200 is "dead on" I believe with the HSU VTF-2 MK3 which cost him $600 or so, the HSU is just a little bigger than the PL-200 but near as good looking so in my thoughts PL-200 at 1/2 the price is a forsure winner there. On the other hand, a friend just received his SVS PB Ultra 13 a month ago... OK.. "hands down" WINNER!! Good lord is that a TRUE subwoofer... BUT> @ $1,700 or so it should be, not to mention it's the size of a mini fridge and weighs over 150lbs or so. So there is the honest truth from me, as I had mentioned I can see both sides to the posts but I can say that I would put the Pl-200 up aginist any $400-$600 sub I.M.O.

Rinney is not the only one that is defending the Bic line as I and quite a few others on the AVS fourm will back him up. I could care less about a name, if if sounds great why not shed the joy to others I say... no matter what brand it is. I own a few Bic products such as the Pl-200 ( of corse), the Pl-28 center channel (love it!) and a set of DV52si as surrounds. I had the DV62-CLRs center channel for awhile, not that is wasnt a good speaker but I liked the horn sound better for my taste. Each one of us will always have a diff. in opinion for many reasons so in essance thats a good thing per say as each one of us has to take reviews as thier own and bass it off that.

In certian action seens YES... I can feel the Pl-200 not only through the walls but in my seating postion as well (not like the SVS Ultr13 by no means though) but enough for me to really enjoy the movie. In most cases I truley agree with "you get what you pay for" as with the Bic PL-200 you get even more than what you pay for... dollar to dollar that is. Well... I have rambled on enough as I just wanted some reviews that are looking at the Bic line to get another opinion as I believe its an excellent value in which they would be more than satisfied with. Good luck to all!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2011 1:10:37 AM PDT
VinylMan says:
Mr. Mahr, Have you ever actually heard a PL-200, or is this just so much more of the usual audio snobery?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2011 1:19:05 AM PDT
VinylMan says:
Where can you buy any model of SVS, HSU, or ED sub for $350 delivered? That is what a PL-200 costs. The cheapest "high end" sub would cost far more than that.

What "unbelievable" sub can you get for "$20 more." Please, tell us where you can buy these subs at those prices. I would like to send a semi truck out there and buy up a truck-load of them.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›