5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle DX first impressions from a former Kindle 2 user, June 11, 2009
This review is from: Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device (9.7" Display, U.S. Wireless) (Electronics)
Here are my first impressions of the Kindle DX which I received earlier today. I've been using the Kindle 2 for the past three months and have loved it. It has improved the way I read by making it easy to download and try books before purchasing them, and allowing me to carry a variety of reading material with me. I was disappointed with the way it handled PDF's, which is important to me, so I sold the Kindle 2 and bought the DX.

- The DX works like the Kindle 2 in terms of keys, navigation, joystick etc., except all the navigation keys are on the right.
- Was concerned about lack of navigation on the left, but if you flip it 180 degrees, the display auto rotates and you can use your left hand. Very slick.
- The DX is heavier, but is still comfortable to hold and read.
- The overall size of the DX is not as big as I expected from the pictures on the web.
- The digital ink looks similar on both, but a little sharper on the DX.
- The DX works much better for PDF's overall. The bigger screen really helps here.
- A complex powerpoint I converted to pdf looks just like it does on my pc except in b&w.
- PDF's with columns work fine. I couldn't read them on the Kindle 2.
- If you have a PDF with multiple columns, the print may appear small on the DX, and you can't adjust fonts in PDFs.
- Newspapers are easier to read on the DX, especially pics and tables.
- I downloaded a sample chapter of a textbook. I can see this working well for students.
- The rotate feature is excellent on the DX; works as advertised.
- The Kindle 2 weighs less and is more portable. If reading only books, I'd probably prefer the Kindle 2, given the lower price and size, and nav keys on both sides.

Regarding the price, while I'd love Kindles to cost less, I think the price is reasonable. Here's how I justified it. I assumed I could resell the DX in 2 years for 50% of its purchase price, or $245. (50% seems reasonable based on the experience of Kindle 1). So my net cost is $245. The differentiating feature of the Kindle is the built in wireless capability. Not only is it elegant and integrated, it is also included in the purchase price. If unlimited wireless were priced separately, a reasonable price would be around $10/month. So effectively my out of pocket cost using the DX for 2 years is roughly equivalent to what the wireless would cost me if it was priced separately.

Both the DX and Kindle 2 are good values. If you only read books, the Kindle 2 is probably better. If you already own a Kindle 2, and don't read PDF's, I recommend keeping your Kindle 2. If you read a lot of pdf's or newspapers, or you like to read with large fonts, you'll be happier with the DX. For my needs, I like the DX more.

[Add comment]