5.0 out of 5 stars Great HDTV - UPS delivered in 3 days!, September 4, 2012
This review is from: TCL LE39FHDF3300TA 39-Inch 1080p LED HDTV with 2-Year Limited Warranty (Black) (Electronics)
I ordered it late Friday afternoon and not including the Monday holiday I received the item on Tuesday (so 2-3 business days). The UPS delivered item was not damaged in any way, nor were its internal contents (as I read in some reviews for TCL Tvs).

My HDTV is the TCL 39" (3300) model which sold for $329 compared to $418 for the 43" TCL model. I didn't think a couple more inches were worth so much more in cost. I do need to say that Amazon was selling the TCL 42" model for $369, (but they ran out of stock just before I ordered, so maybe that sale will return, it's the best deal).

My previous HDTV was a 32" RCA (720p with 5000:1 contrast) that I got at Walmart for $899 five years ago, but it died so I wanted a cheap replacement and this one was the one I chose. The setup on the TCL tv was easy, just put the bottom glass stand on with 4 screws, connect a couple cables and turn on the TV. It goes through a quick channel scan and that's it. The picture is quite an upgrade from my previous RCA HDTV, plus its a much larger screen size. My old RCA had problems getter all the local broadcast (free to air) HD channels, but this thing is picking up all of them from as far away as 90 miles WOW!

The sound quality to me seems NORMAL for a TV of this price. My TCL model doesn't sound thin or tinnie, nor does the TCL volume go extremely loud. But there are 2 audio output options, to resource the sound out to other locations by using either the headphone jack, or the SPDIF connections (SPDIF is a type of digital audio interconnect cable)(S/PDIF: check it on Wiki for more info). So if you want high quality digital output, you have to use these 2 options.

Remember the thinner TVs get, the thinner their speakers become, and this reduces their sound quality. So think about adding a cheap sound-bar (with or without a sub-woofer) to your TV, this works really well to improve your sound at a minimal cost. I'm thinking of adding a sound-bar with a wireless sub-woofer that also has built-in Bluetooth (like the LG NB3520A model). This sound-bar can also be used for my wireless tablets and phones to stream media to wirelessly, by way of its built-in Bluetooth. Another cheap one: iLive ITB382B Bluetooth Sound Bar with AM/FM Radio - both of these soundbars are available at Amazon.com

The remote isn't perfect, they really don't use the 4 arrows on it properly, but it does have a couple of extra features that are nice like a channel info button and channel guide button, so you can see what programs are coming up.

There's a large orange power light in the bottom right corner that can be annoying at night in a bedroom, but I just put a piece of black electrical tape over it.

The 39" screen is a perfect size for the bedroom or living room, its 1080p, 100,000:1 contrast ratio is beautiful and the 1/2" trimmed edge only compares to the newer, more expensive, HD models coming out now. This Tv's thickness and weight is good for tv stands, tables, and in some cases wall mounting, but most people might want to goes with a thinner model for wall mounting. It is an LED tv so its weight is on the lighter side.

Yes this TV's cost is cheaper than most and you only get 2 HDMI inputs, but the performance, screen size, beauty, picture quality, and lack of problems, make this TV well worth its price. The Energy Guide rating is $11, so it uses very little power.

Generally its hard to get 5 star reviews from me, and maybe I will come back later and edit it if I have problems, but so far its what I review it to be. A person cannot expect the world for $300 plus dollars, but for me its a KEEPER!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 14, 2012 9:46:41 AM PDT
W. Wilson says:
Thanks for your review. Would I be correct to assume this TV is better quality than a similar TCL LCD TV: TCL L40FHDP60 40-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV with 2 Year Limited Warranty (Black) because it incorporates LED backlight technology? I'm trying to decide between the which one to buy and it is so hard to make a decision without being able to actually see the products. I realize you probably can't compare the two TVs side by side, but from what you've experienced, do you think going with the LED is a safer bet than the non-LED? The LCD screen is one inch larger and it is slightly cheaper. Thanks for your insight. I am new to all this technology.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 9:54:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 14, 2012 9:56:02 AM PDT
SeBo says:
yes this would be a newer model (3300 series), then another newer version is the (5300 series). Then each series has various sizes. The version u named has a much larger frame around it and older technology inside

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 10:02:04 AM PDT
W. Wilson says:
Many thanks. I appreciate your insight.

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 10:07:39 AM PDT
W. Wilson says:
It's confusing because the list price for the older TV is $30 higher, but that's probably because it is 1 inch larger.... ?

Posted on Jan 29, 2015 1:49:43 AM PST
Chen Xulian says:
Seems like this samsung tv is really worth the price but I have my doubts about it being sturdy enough if I place it high up. I can't really afford to see this one break. Did you fix the TV to the wall? I would probably go for FlexiMounts to mount it. Check it out if you had a similar conern.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›