8,947 of 9,203 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars DX not quite all that--but has been improved a bit, June 13, 2009
This review is from: Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device (9.7" Display, U.S. Wireless) (Electronics)
This review was written back when the DX first came out and--as has been brought to my attention--needs to be updated a bit. I will indicate where things have changed for the better within the body of the review:

I owned the K1 and then the K2 and love them both, so I was really looking forward to the DX. My plan was to use the DX at home, and keep my K2 for carrying all over creation with me. It wasn't long, though, after my DX arrived the day before yesterday before disappointment set in.

Don't get me wrong, there is a LOT to like about the DX:

1) Pictures are awesome on it, if the publisher formats them properly.

2) Those who complain about darkness of text on their K2 (a problem I've never had, btw) will be thrilled by the DX's very dark text.

EDIT: LIKE THE KINDLE 3, THE DX NOW SPORTS A NEW E-INK DISPLAY THAT HAS MUCH BETTER CONTRAST, SO TEXT & PICTURES REALLY "POP."

3) The ability to rotate the screen is great. Gives you a closer look at things like maps and charts.

4) The browser is a bit faster than on the K1 or K2, though that isn't saying much--it is still very clunky to use.

EDIT: THOUGH STILL CLUNKY, THE BROWSER *HAS* BEEN IMPROVED FOR EASIER USE. BUT STILL DON'T PLAN TO DO A LOT OF WEB SURFING WITH IT.

5) But web pages look pretty good on the DX.

6) It holds 3500 books.

BUT.....the DX just isn't all that. It has drawbacks that are really making me consider sending it back before my 30 days are up:

1) First and foremost, while it is true that it natively reads PDFs, it is really only a PDF *viewer*. You can't change the font size on PDFs, links will not function on them, and the ability to magnify pictures doesn't work on them either. So you better have LARGE fonts on your PDF before you load it. Looking at the PDF in horizontal mode helps a bit, but not by much.

EDIT: WE NOW HAVE THE ABILITY TO ZOOM IN ON PDF DOCUMENTS, WHICH HELPS IN READING THEM--BUT IT WOULD STILL BEHOOVE USERS TO USE LARGER FONT SIZES IN DOCUMENTS BEFORE CONVERTING TO PDF FORMAT.

2) The DX is too big to hold comfortably. It's not really all that heavy, but it is top heavy and you feel a pull on your hands. And that pull is really evident if you try to use the keyboard while holding it--you practically have to lay the DX down flat, it becomes so difficult to type.

3) They merged the number keys with the QWERTY keys (losing a line of keys). What development genius thought it would be helpful and an "improvement?" To go to a location within a book you have to click Menu, choose "go to," then click the Symbols key, choose the numbers you want, then close Symbols before you can choose "location." Whew! Or you can click Alt + the letter button at the top that corresponds to the number you want. Joy.

4) Before my DX came, I really didn't think this would bother me at all, but I have to say: I really HATE the fact that the "next page" button is only on one side. I mostly use the left hand button. And yes, with the DX's rotation ability you can turn it upside down, placing the "next page" button on the left side.... However, when you do this, the button is so high up that you have to slide your hand (not your thumb, your whole hand) up in order to turn the page. May sound nit-picky, but it is truly a PITA to break off reading to do it. Not only that, but having the keyboard at the top makes it even more top-heavy than when it is right side up!

5) when you rotate the DX so that it is horizontal, the "next page" button is either at the bottom or the top--in either case you can't just flick your thumb and change the page. Again, a PITA.

6) If you leave the rotation feature on "Auto" when you are not using your DX it drains your battery, so you must remember to turn the feature off when you stop reading.

7) Still no folders. An organization nightmare three times bigger than that of the K2 (which itself had increased the same problem on the K1): the possibility of storing 3500 books but only being able to sort them by author, title, and "most recent first."

EDIT: AMAZON HAS NOW GIVEN ALL KINDLE USERS THE ABILITY TO CREATE "COLLECTIONS." THIS LETS YOU ORGANIZE YOUR BOOKS BY GENRE OR WHATEVER YOU LIKE, SO THAT'S A BIG HELP. HOWEVER, FOR SOME STRANGE REASON, UNLESS YOU RESORT TO FIXES LIKE PUTTING SYMBOLS BEFORE THE COLLECTION NAMES WHEN IN "VIEW BY COLLECTIONS" IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO ALPHABETIZE THEM! I WOULD HOPE THAT THIS GETS FIXED IN THE NEAR FUTURE WITH A SOFTWARE UPDATE.

I will be fiercely debating with myself in the next week or so, on whether I really want to keep the DX. It is so disappointing. It has the potential of being a really great e-reader...but as it stands now, it isn't. It's OK. But for $489, it should be a lot more than merely OK.

EDIT: I DID END UP RETURNING MY DX THE FOLLOWING WEEK. THE PRICE HAS SINCE DROPPED--IT NOW COSTS $379--BUT IT *STILL* ISN'T ALL THAT.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 32 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 335 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 17, 2009 8:39:52 PM PDT
Carlos says:
I would add to this: the lack of a SD slot is, for me, an automatic NO NO.

Posted on Jun 17, 2009 10:52:23 PM PDT
L. Brock says:
I agree that a lack of folders to sort books, magazines and newspapers is really needed if you are carrying 3500 books. While I am intrigued with the DX, I will happily carry my K2 with the number board until the next, new, and improved version. Love my K2.

Posted on Jun 18, 2009 10:21:30 AM PDT

Posted on Jun 18, 2009 2:57:27 PM PDT
Would any of these Kindle versions work for a fairly robust but visually impaired 85-year-old man? Is this the best the market can come up with for old people who like to read but can't find everything in big print? Also, how large does the type get on this Kindle DX? That is not mentioned anywhere. Thanks for your help.

TJD

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2009 5:13:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 18, 2009 5:20:24 PM PDT
Jon Macklin says:
I have the Kindle 2 and it has the capability for a large size font. I set a word document margin to be the same size as the kindle 2 screen and largest font appears to be approximately the same size as an Arial (its not) size 14.

To address your needs, I would purchase the DX version and try it out. The DX larger size will allow you to set the largest font and see more printing on a page. When I tried the experiment above; I had approximately 3 -5 words a line and 12 lines visible on the K2's screen. This would make for a lot of "next page " pressing to read a book using this size font on a K2. Try the DX version; it would give you the best experience for the current eReader devices.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2009 10:04:27 AM PDT
Hi TJD,

I bought my 87 year old mother a Kindle 2 for mothers day. She loves to read however, she was having a hard time with the smaller fonts used by paper pack books. I was worried at first that at her age, mom would not be comfortable using this new technology. Well.......I can't keep up with the books she is now reading! She is loving her new Kindle 2 using it constantly. She is even using words like "Delete" and "Download".
She loves it so much that I even got one for me!
I bought mom the Kindle 2 just before the new Kindle DX come out. I would have probably bought her the new DX because of the larger size if it had been available when I bought mom hers. However, she is extremely happy with her Kindle 2 :) and I am too!

Posted on Jun 20, 2009 10:54:18 AM PDT

Posted on Jun 21, 2009 3:12:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2009 3:15:11 AM PDT
Mary Ellison says:
I mostly agree with your review, but I disagree with your observation about the size of the DX. The size is necessary to support technical documents and journals in PDF format. And it is a lot less "top heavy" that a 300 page hard copy document. You must remember that this device is not intended for the casual reader market place; it is intended for those who need to deal mostly with large, technical publications and text books.

Posted on Jun 21, 2009 7:27:49 AM PDT
Amy says:
Where did you turn off the auto rotation feature? I can't seem to find it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2009 8:56:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2009 8:57:59 AM PDT
Grey Fox says:
The ability to do the NY Times crossword puzzle is important to me, too. We currently buy a paper copy every day; we would most definitely switch to Kindle if this capability is/became available....
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 34 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (5,167 customer reviews)
 (2,608)