8,965 of 9,223 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars DX not quite all that--but has been improved a bit, June 13, 2009
This review is from: Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device (9.7" Display, U.S. Wireless) (Electronics)
This review was written back when the DX first came out and--as has been brought to my attention--needs to be updated a bit. I will indicate where things have changed for the better within the body of the review:

I owned the K1 and then the K2 and love them both, so I was really looking forward to the DX. My plan was to use the DX at home, and keep my K2 for carrying all over creation with me. It wasn't long, though, after my DX arrived the day before yesterday before disappointment set in.

Don't get me wrong, there is a LOT to like about the DX:

1) Pictures are awesome on it, if the publisher formats them properly.

2) Those who complain about darkness of text on their K2 (a problem I've never had, btw) will be thrilled by the DX's very dark text.

EDIT: LIKE THE KINDLE 3, THE DX NOW SPORTS A NEW E-INK DISPLAY THAT HAS MUCH BETTER CONTRAST, SO TEXT & PICTURES REALLY "POP."

3) The ability to rotate the screen is great. Gives you a closer look at things like maps and charts.

4) The browser is a bit faster than on the K1 or K2, though that isn't saying much--it is still very clunky to use.

EDIT: THOUGH STILL CLUNKY, THE BROWSER *HAS* BEEN IMPROVED FOR EASIER USE. BUT STILL DON'T PLAN TO DO A LOT OF WEB SURFING WITH IT.

5) But web pages look pretty good on the DX.

6) It holds 3500 books.

BUT.....the DX just isn't all that. It has drawbacks that are really making me consider sending it back before my 30 days are up:

EDIT: WE NOW HAVE THE ABILITY TO ZOOM IN ON PDF DOCUMENTS, WHICH HELPS IN READING THEM--BUT IT WOULD STILL BEHOOVE USERS TO USE LARGER FONT SIZES IN DOCUMENTS BEFORE CONVERTING TO PDF FORMAT.

2) The DX is too big to hold comfortably. It's not really all that heavy, but it is top heavy and you feel a pull on your hands. And that pull is really evident if you try to use the keyboard while holding it--you practically have to lay the DX down flat, it becomes so difficult to type.

3) They merged the number keys with the QWERTY keys (losing a line of keys). What development genius thought it would be helpful and an "improvement?" To go to a location within a book you have to click Menu, choose "go to," then click the Symbols key, choose the numbers you want, then close Symbols before you can choose "location." Whew! Or you can click Alt + the letter button at the top that corresponds to the number you want. Joy.

4) Before my DX came, I really didn't think this would bother me at all, but I have to say: I really HATE the fact that the "next page" button is only on one side. I mostly use the left hand button. And yes, with the DX's rotation ability you can turn it upside down, placing the "next page" button on the left side.... However, when you do this, the button is so high up that you have to slide your hand (not your thumb, your whole hand) up in order to turn the page. May sound nit-picky, but it is truly a PITA to break off reading to do it. Not only that, but having the keyboard at the top makes it even more top-heavy than when it is right side up!

5) when you rotate the DX so that it is horizontal, the "next page" button is either at the bottom or the top--in either case you can't just flick your thumb and change the page. Again, a PITA.

6) If you leave the rotation feature on "Auto" when you are not using your DX it drains your battery, so you must remember to turn the feature off when you stop reading.

7) Still no folders. An organization nightmare three times bigger than that of the K2 (which itself had increased the same problem on the K1): the possibility of storing 3500 books but only being able to sort them by author, title, and "most recent first."

EDIT: AMAZON HAS NOW GIVEN ALL KINDLE USERS THE ABILITY TO CREATE "COLLECTIONS." THIS LETS YOU ORGANIZE YOUR BOOKS BY GENRE OR WHATEVER YOU LIKE, SO THAT'S A BIG HELP. HOWEVER, FOR SOME STRANGE REASON, UNLESS YOU RESORT TO FIXES LIKE PUTTING SYMBOLS BEFORE THE COLLECTION NAMES WHEN IN "VIEW BY COLLECTIONS" IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO ALPHABETIZE THEM! I WOULD HOPE THAT THIS GETS FIXED IN THE NEAR FUTURE WITH A SOFTWARE UPDATE.

I will be fiercely debating with myself in the next week or so, on whether I really want to keep the DX. It is so disappointing. It has the potential of being a really great e-reader...but as it stands now, it isn't. It's OK. But for $489, it should be a lot more than merely OK.

EDIT: I DID END UP RETURNING MY DX THE FOLLOWING WEEK. THE PRICE HAS SINCE DROPPED--IT NOW COSTS $379--BUT IT *STILL* ISN'T ALL THAT.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 32 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 291-300 of 335 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 27, 2011 4:30:34 AM PST
mishaandsam says:
I wish I returned my DX - I got it last year for christmas and it hasn't been updated since - for example all the others have page numbers but not the DX and there is no intention of providing page numbers. And now with the new Kindle's out - the dx will probably never be updated.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 11:47:56 AM PST
CPA_N_BAY says:
I bought the 3G last year for my then 96 year old vision impaired father. I made his favorite book big fonts, and he was unwilling to try the new fangled way to read. At 97 on his birthday, I tried his favorite book again with the woman's to find him falling asleep by the second sentence.

Although I do not have difficulty understanding the text to speech lady, my Father seemingly in general is unwilling to listen to women. The male voice is not an American accent or tempo, thus he was not able to comprehend the feature. So I bought myself a nice 3G that I have used for a year mostly test-to-speech for driving and about the home rather than use mp3 canned stuff.

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 1:20:42 PM PST
Judith says:
personally i love my apple phone and audible. com
I am 69 and visually impaired, and I am so hapy to
listen to such excellent readers.

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 1:33:13 PM PST
R. Shook says:
"1) First and foremost, while it is true that it natively reads PDFs, it is really only a PDF *viewer*. You can't change the font size on PDFs, links will not function on them, and the ability to magnify pictures doesn't work on them either. So you better have LARGE fonts on your PDF before you load it. Looking at the PDF in horizontal mode helps a bit, but not by much. "

I don't think this is a fair critique. The purpose of the PDF format was to create a file type that froze layout but kept text information so it could be copied and file size stayed small. It is a format favored by designers and was never intended to be for anything but output.

Amazon is doing us a favor. It's not their fault that many publications use .pdf. To edit them, they have to be converted to another format. This requires special software and a computer. It's not reasonable to expect this from an e-reader. We've been spoiled by the kindle and are now asking for unreasonable things.

Posted on Dec 31, 2011 4:27:02 AM PST
Danny Smith says:
You should have been on the development team. Very helpful review

Posted on Jan 24, 2012 3:31:11 AM PST
ann williams says:
Does the kindle dx support flash

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 1:51:42 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 21, 2012 1:52:49 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 8:37:07 PM PST
brainwash says:
Don't suppose the original author is still reading comments 2 years later, but if you are, I want to compliment you for adding updates indicating that things have changed. It is so frustrating that Amazon uses the same set of reviews for different versions of products! You helped make up for Amazon's problem, which is great. I would like to know, though, whether those changes are software updates which everyone gets, or whether "the DX now does it this way" means "if you buy a new DX it now does it this way."

And about large print...this is old news, but since I didn't see it mentioned in the first few pages of comments, I'll add that I offered my mother-in-law (a huge reader with macular degeneration) a K1 and she turned it down because although she could read the large print, she couldn't read the menus, and there was no option to change the font size on the menus. Don't know whether later versions fixed that.

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 8:22:24 AM PDT
Ohio Ted says:
For nearly the same price I am considering getting a Toshiba Thrive 10.1-Inch 16 GB Android Tablet AT105-T1016.

Maybe the Toshiba would be heavier, but it is larger than my K3, and could do more than a Kindle alone.

I can't afford to buy both, or I would.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 7:10:31 AM PDT
S. tamburin says:
I am of a certain age, too, and love that the screen is bigger on this. I'd like to be able to make the print larger, if need be, when I am reading a book. For the price on this, even the sale price, why doesn't it play movies like the Kindle Fire. With the bigger screen, I'd buy it to enjoy movies and books.