ARRAY(0xa69bfaec)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Remote: Simple to Program, Even Easier to Use!, February 3, 2008
This review is from: Logitech Harmony One Universal Remote with Color Touch Screen - OLD MODEL (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A year ago, I purchased the Logitech Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote Control and have liked it so much that I had determined to buy a second remote this year in order to have one upstairs and one downstairs. Although both the Harmony 880 and the new Harmony One each control many devices (I currently have 14 devices configured on each), it became tiresome to have to go to a different floor of the house to grab the remote for the other level. Then Amazon Vine received the Harmony One remote from Logitech for review, and I was thrilled to be able to review it.

The Harmony 880 and the Harmony One are very similar in functionality and programming. Both are programmed using a USB interface to your PC and the Logitech Harmony Remote Software. Both can handle multiple devices with considerable ease, allowing for most users to configure every remote-controlled device in their home. Both remotes can `learn' from the original remote if you are not able to configure a device using the model number. Both of these remotes enjoy a rechargeable dock.

Where the significant improvements are in the Harmony One over the Harmony 880 are the feel of the device in the hand, the improved backlit hard buttons that are easy to see in the dark, and a dock that cradles the remote much better (making it more difficult for your cat to knock the remote out of the dock! LOL). Also, with significant spaces between buttons on the Harmony One, it is easier to feel your way around the remote without looking.

If you are replacing an older Harmony remote, the Logitech Harmony software offers the opportunity to `replace' the currently configured device with the newer device, transferring your device setup for all the TVs, VCRs, DVRs, etc. to the new remote with little effort. As I did not want to replace, but add a new remote, I didn't use this function myself.

For those of us who are adding a new remote, I was a bit disappointed in the Harmony Remote software. You cannot have multiple remotes under one Logitech account. Instead, you must set up a separate ID for each remote. Many people use the same ID for most computer programs and online sites requiring one, and this requirement may cause some trouble for us in the future. I can easily imagine that the next time I need to program this remote I may have forgotten the ID I used to set it up with. While I keep pretty good track of my IDs and passwords, it will be hard to remember a year from now that I had to use a non-standard ID for this one. I would like to see the software revised to allow for multiple remotes in one account, and the ability to copy configurations from one to another.

On the bright side, the software really does make it easy to configure your televisions, Tivos, DVD players and more. If you have the model number of that device, this is the simplest method of configuring it, and with an extensive database of model numbers - including some very old tvs and the like (judging by my own setup), it is a pretty sure-fire way to set up your Harmony One Remote quickly and easily.

Of course, there are times when you simply cannot find the model number for a device. My bedroom television does not have a model number anywhere that I can find it. So, I used the `learn' function on the Harmony One Remote to teach the Logitech device the correct codes, using my original remote from the television. Even if you haven't the original remote, the remotes are still easy to configure using the brand name and the device type (i.e. Sharp TV) in the Harmony software.

Programming custom buttons for devices is very easy. I like to control the volume on my television while the remote is in Tivo mode, so I simply used the TV remote to program the volume buttons on the Harmony One Remote for the specific TV I will use. This procedure is as simple as lining up the two remotes and clicking the button you are configuring, then letting the Logitech software do its magic!

So far, I have configured a variety of devices with this remote easily: TVs, TiVos, DVD players, VCR, Cable Boxes, and an A/V receiver. None were problematic, and all work very well. I highly recommend the Harmony One Remote for anyone who wants to combine all their remotes to one and prefers ease of configuring. Oh, and it looks pretty sharp, too. Especially with my own photographs downloaded to run a pretty screensaver!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2008 4:02:30 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 6:25:13 PM PST
Jennifer Ray says:
I think it is definitely an area that can be improved in future releases of the software for the Harmony Remotes. A user who is less technically savvy could easily erase the configuration for their current Harmony Remote if they aren't careful, causing them to have to set it up all over again when they next need to change the programming on that device.

Allowing for multiple devices under the same ID reduces the chance of a user accidentally deleting those settings and simplifies the entire process. If you make the software and hardware easy for every user to adapt to, you sell more devices.

If you notice, I didn't count off on my rating for that particular issue - I still love the remote and highly recommend it. But I did feel it was important feedback that may help improve the user experience should Logitech choose to incorporate it as an enhancement in future releases. Not only that, users who read the review will know to be cautious when setting up their new remote if they already have one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 1:48:00 PM PST
N. Kozloski says:
When you have many ID's for different purposes, it is difficult to keep track of them all. i.e. online logins for utilities and credit card accounts.
I feel that it would be an advantage to have the ability to keep two remote programs on the same login account.

Posted on Feb 6, 2009 4:50:15 AM PST
S. Sheth says:
Hi - can you use the remote for multiple of the same type of device. For example, I have home theater set up in my family room (with a receiver, DVD, cable box, tv, etc), and then I also have a home theater set up in my bedroom - with a different TV, DVD, etc. Can you use the same remote for both rooms? How many TV's can one remote use - how many DVD players, etc?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2009 11:14:23 PM PST
Jennifer Ray says:
Hi S. Sheth! I mentioned in the first paragraph of my review that I have 14 different devices configured on the Harmony One remote, and all work very well. I have multiple televisions, DVD players, TiVos, etc. as well as surround sound receivers. Two of the TiVos I have configured are the exact same model, and I've experienced no issues having each configured on the same remote.

The device will actually allow you to configure up to 15 devices on it. If you want to set up 15 televisions, they can all be television, etc. I have 3 TVs and 3 DVD players on mine.

I usually do carry this remote to other rooms when I want to watch TV in another room.

Posted on Apr 2, 2009 8:41:26 AM PDT
Bob Feeser says:
I'm speaking from the outside in, awaiting my first Logitech Harmony remote to arrive, but a suggestion might be that you create different ID's with the model number in them. For example Jenn880 or JennOne.

Posted on Apr 16, 2009 7:33:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2009 7:42:16 AM PDT
Yogi Bear says:
Got one yesterday. Encouraged to see all the positive reviews on Amazon.
I have just a slight problem: I just have to buy the devices :)
Just kidding. We have a few devices in the family room. Anytime we want to switch between watching TV (Samsung with DirectTV HD DVR) to watching DVD (Panasonic player or the Toshiba 1080P) via Onkyo receiver to listening music etc, it is a hassle to click on all the buttons on different remotes. If we can find the right remotes, that is.
Typically it is a race between my 9 year old son and myself, as to who can get the remote faster.
This new remote will probably kill that racing game. Oh well.

Posted on Jun 4, 2009 9:28:32 PM PDT
A. Poulos says:
I have two Panasonic components, a Blu-ray player and a DVD player/recorder, and they initially responded to each others remotes so I had to change the code on one of the remotes. How would this be handeled when setting up the Harmony?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2009 10:17:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 20, 2009 10:19:09 AM PDT
bilagaana says:
For those anxious about keeping track of multiple accounts, just get Roboform. One of two indispensable shareware programs (the other being WhereIsIt).

Posted on Nov 7, 2010 9:49:16 AM PST
Craig says:
I really like the Tivo remote. Does the Harmony remote work well on Tivo compared to the Tivo remote itself, or would I still want to use the stand alone Tivo remote too?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Jennifer Ray
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Location: TN, United States